• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (3 Viewers)

Cloudy weather

Hello all,

We have been having normal spring weather, for the British Isles, perhaps. Today, the temperature reached 10ºC, with overcast skies. For the last few day, it has been very similar but with rain showers. Identifying birds against an overcast sky is not easy.

Earlier this week, I spotted a blac throated green warbler and worm eating warbler only with the help of others. The worm eating warbler was so high in a tree that he could not possibly find any worms. Near Azalea pond I identified a female blackburnian warbler. An ovenbird came my way, as well.

Yesterday, I sighted my first rose breasted grosbeak of the season.

I have more to add.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Black throated green.jpg
    Black throated green.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 46
  • worm eating warbler.jpg
    worm eating warbler.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 51
  • blackburnian warblers.jpg
    blackburnian warblers.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 61
  • ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 48
  • rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    rose breasted grosbeak.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 47
The weather changed

Hello,

Wednesday, there were gadwalls on Turtle Pond. Thursday's birds included a northern parula, a veery, and an indigo bunting.

Today, I left home in a drizzle but returned with the sun shining. I was surprised to find buffleheads still on the Reservoir and, less surprisingly flocks of double crested cormorants. At the Point, I saw a life bird: a yellow crowned night heron. Nearby in the oven, there was an American bittern doing an imperfect job of hiding from a dozen bird watchers, standing on Willow Rock. The bittern is rather uncommon for Central Park. Near Azalea Pond were black throated blue warblers and a yellow throated vireo another life bird.

More to come.

Images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. I linked to the yellow crowned night heron.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Northern Parula.jpg
    Northern Parula.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Veery.jpg
    Veery.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Indigo bunting.jpg
    Indigo bunting.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Bitterns.jpg
    Bitterns.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Vireo, yellow throated.jpg
    Vireo, yellow throated.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hello,

On Monday, I saw a peregrine falcon, high over Strawberry Fields. These birds have fairly large territories, as well as some well established nests in New York City, in skyscrapers and on bridge towers.

On Sunday and again on Monday, I saw male scarlet tanagers. On Monday, I also saw a magnolia warbler, a Canadian warbler, a Wilson's warbler and Baltimore Oriole.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• tananger, scarlet.jpg
    tananger, scarlet.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 47
  • warbler, magnolia.jpg
    warbler, magnolia.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Canada warbler.jpg
    Canada warbler.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Wilson's warbler.jpg
    Wilson's warbler.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 42
  • oriole, Baltimore.jpg
    oriole, Baltimore.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 46
Another life bird

Hello,

First, I must mention a few birds which I have seen in the past fortnight. In Strawberry Fields, I saw a black billed cuckoo, over the Lake I saw a northern rough winged swallow. Last week a white breasted nuthatch turned up near the Gill, where it enters the Lake. I had not seen one for weeks but I am told that they are seen in the nearby countryside. Goldfinches have bright yellow, showing their summer plumage. Thursday was my last day to sight a bufflehead on the Reservoir.

Today, I saw another life bird a mourning warbler before seeing my first of the season yellow warbler and barn swallows, over the Reservoir.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• blackbilled cuckoo.jpg
    blackbilled cuckoo.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 47
  • rough winged swallows.jpg
    rough winged swallows.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Warbler, mourning.jpg
    Warbler, mourning.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Yellow warbler.jpg
    Yellow warbler.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Barn swallows.jpg
    Barn swallows.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 42
Hello all,

Yesterday, I saw some cedar waxwings, high up a tree near Turtle Pond. I also saw a pair of male brown headed cowbirds, near the Oven. I also visited the stream under Triplets Bridge in hope of finding a waterthrush. I spotted a likely bird, but it was in the middle of the stream. Then I saw it was too big. It turned out to be an infrequent visitor to the Park a spotted sandpiper. I saw one again, today, on the Point.

Monday and Tuesday, each brought a new warbler: bay breasted and blackpoll warblers. Today, I saw a Swainson's thrush and a wood thrush.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• spotted sandpiper II.jpg
    spotted sandpiper II.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Bay breasted.jpg
    Bay breasted.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Blackpoll.jpg
    Blackpoll.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 43
  • Swainson's thrush.jpg
    Swainson's thrush.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 39
  • wood thrush.jpg
    wood thrush.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
summer doldrums

Hello all,

I have hit the summer doldrums. Nothing much new except a red-eyed vireo and gray cheeked thrush. May 19th was the last day for a bufflehead, on the Reservoir. According to Eaton, in Birds of New York they are supposed to be gone, all over New York State, by the 20th. It has been suggested to me that non-breeding buffleheads may stay in Central Park. White throated sparrows disappeared about the same time.
Two weeks ago, I did locate an active oriole nest.
I usually see egrets, either on Turtle Pond or on the Reservoir; black crowned night herons turn up on the Lake or on Turtle Pond. Today, I saw five egrets and three black crowned night herons on the Reservoir, which also had a fair number of double crested cormorants.
I am still seeing red bellied woodpeckers, an impressive and handsome bird.

Attachments

• Red eyed vireo.jpg
    Red eyed vireo.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Gray cheeked Thrush.jpg
    Gray cheeked Thrush.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Looks like most of your missing species when missing for me about the same time. Thankfully, I have a beautiful pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers back for nesting so that makes it a bit easier ;)

Hello KC,

Are you trying to make me jealous? Red headed woodpeckers are rather uncommon in Central Park.

I can write that I have seen a couple of notable birds. Shortly after my last post I saw a warbling vireo and then an Eastern kingbird. As I wrote, I cam across a nest of Baltimore orioles. I have observed both the male and female simultaneously away from the nest, so I guess that that they be feeding the chicks.
I am fairly confident that there is another nest in the Park. The one I have seen is near the Maintenance shed; the other must be near the Reservoir.
Over both the Lake and the Reservoir, I have been seeing barn swallows.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• warbling vireo.jpg
    warbling vireo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Kingbird.jpg
    Kingbird.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 46
  • oriole, Baltimore.jpg
    oriole, Baltimore.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 47
  • Barn swallows.jpg
    Barn swallows.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 39
Then you don't want to look in my Gallery Arthur ;)

You can always come sit on my back deck and enjoy their visits ;)

Happy birthday Arthur.

I hope this greeting is enough to lift you out of the "summer doldrums"!!!!;)

Have a good day lad.

Thank you.

Hello Delia, Bob and those who sent private felicitations,

Thank you for your kind wishes.

My birthday did not bring any special sightings on these warm summery days. I have been carefully observing that Baltimore oriole nest. On Friday, a chick popped its head above the rim. By today, some must have fledged, as there was only one visit by a female oriole in twenty minutes of observing.

Happy bird watching,

Still dull

Hello all,

The summer doldrums continue. I get to black crowned night herons, double crested cormorant and egrets, most days of the week, as well as the occasional red bellied woodpecker. My walks have been enlivened by white breasted nuthatches, which are more common in the winter. Others have seen a red breasted nuthatch. I have been seeing red winged blackbirds, and even one female gadwall I have been expecting flycatchers but all I have seen are kingbirds which must be nesting in the Park.

Those Baltimore oriole chicks must have fledged as there is no activity at the nest.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• nuthatches II.jpg
    nuthatches II.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 36
  • red winged blackbirds.jpg
    red winged blackbirds.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 48
  • gadwall,female.jpg
    gadwall,female.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Kingbird.jpg
    Kingbird.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 43
Immature

Hello,

More than three weeks since my last post, and I have very little to report. I thought I saw an immature yellow warbler in a tree but I cannot write that with and confidence. I am more certain that I saw a northern mockingbird.

Of course, I have been seeing immature American robins, which are almost ubiquitous, and a fair number of what I believe were immature northern cardinals. I saw a truly small downy woodpecker which might have been an immature. I also saw a pair of red bellied woodpeckers but one had a gray rather than a red crown, so I guess that it was immature. I had never seen one like that.

I finally followed an Eastern kingbird to its nest over Turtle Pond.

With the temperatures reaching 34ºC, and higher, I do not go out for quite so long excursions in the cooler weather.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• mockingbird.jpg
    mockingbird.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Downy.JPG
    Downy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 31
  • woodpecker, red headed.jpg
    woodpecker, red headed.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Kingbird.jpg
    Kingbird.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 34
another immature

Hello all,

The day after my last post I saw a tufted titmouse near the Lake. This bird is usually associated with the cooler months but do turn up occasionally in Central Park, in the summer. The same day, I visited the Reservoir where a pie billed grebe was diving. A little thereafter I had a close encounter with an immature red tailed hawk. Its chest was very pale so it may have been the offspring of Central Park's most famous avian creature.

This week, I spotted a northern flicker, an immature yellow warbler and and a female American redstart.

Images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• tufted titmouse.jpg
    tufted titmouse.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 31
  • grebe, pie billed .jpg
    grebe, pie billed .jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 33
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 31
A warbler, an aberrant species and a delight

Hello,

Since my last posting, I have seen two additional warblers. First of all, I have black and white warblers. Twice, t the Gill, after it empties from Azalea Pond, I have twice seen northern waterthrushes. Today, I saw another one near Oak Bridge, at the Northern Lobe of the Lake. As of Sunday, that grebe was still paddling and diving. Also on Sunday, I saw a lone cedar waxwing near the Maintenance Shed. I suspect that there were more around as they are a very gregarious species.

Oh yes, I saw another northern flicker. A frequent bird watcher told me that he had never seen one in August, in Central Park.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• black and white warbler.jpg
    black and white warbler.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 40
  • northern waterthrush.jpg
    northern waterthrush.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 42
a bit

Hello all,

First of all, let me catch up a little. On August tenth, I took a New York Audubon cruise from Lower Manhattan to Jamaica Bay. Even before we left the pier a common tern landed on the next pier. By the time we passed Governor's Island we had seen four different gulls: Great black backed, herring, laughing and ring billed gull. Off Brooklyn's Shore Parkway there were egrets, both common and snowy, night herons, both yellow and black crowned. After passing under the Verrazano Bridge, we passed Hoffman and Swinburne Islands in the Lower New York Harbor. These islands housed hospitals and quarantine areas in the heyday of mass immigration to the United States. Some structures had survived until Superstorm Sandy wrecked them

The boat entered Jamaica Bay under the Gil Hodges Bridge, which had peregrine falcons. By then it was dusk and we did very little cruising in Jamaica Bay.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Users who are viewing this thread

Back