• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starter binoculars - would you look at my list? (1 Viewer)

johnkane

Dear all

I've tried to inwardly digest all your sage comments on this subject and still find myself lacking the confidence to splash the cash. So, can you help?

Basically, although I might one day upgrade to more top of the range binoculars, I've decided at this point in time to limit my budget, in case I find the serious birdwatching pastime is (whisper it) no longer for me.:eek!:

This budget is about £200 UK or, given the cheaper prices in the States, $250 USD. I understand that at this price range Porro prism binoculars are likely to give you superior optics, so most of my attention is focused on those. Waterproofing is also a must, given the weather here in the UK. I have been looking mostly at 8x magnification and 32mm upwards objective lenses but would look at 7x or 10x but the relative brightness needs to stay high. Relatively close focus for looking at butterflies and moths would also be needed. Portability would be nice but not the most important criterion. I wear specs so adjustable eyepieces may be a boon.

I've set up a wishlist on Amazon UK (not associate referral links, just in case)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3C6NNJD1L7RV2

These are my prime candidates at the moment although of course, they dont meet all my own criteria.

If you have the time to look over my list, I'd appreciate any help.

All the best,

John

Can you get to a shop to try some models in person? Finding one that "fits" you is the best bet when comparing similarly priced options. The ergonomic differences often dwarf the optical differences.

I also wouldn't discount a good roof prism model. While a porro will give you better raw optics at the price point, given your listed criteria (waterproofness, good close focus, portability, and long eye relief for specs) a roof might be a better fit.

That said, I would immediately strike the cheaper options (Nikon Sporter and the B&S models) off your list. Cheap roofs are mostly junk, I would definitely spend as much as you can if you go with a roof because even the $200ish models are a big step up from the ~$100ish rubbish.

I don't know what options you have in the UK but there are a lot of quite nice roofs available for ~$250 US. On that side of the puddle I know Hawke, RSPB and Opticron produce some popular budget models. More expensive models will have wider sweet spots, bigger FOV's, and better build quality but there is no reason you can't get a model that is bright and sharp on axis for your budget. A nice budget roof will still be plenty good enough to let you enjoy birds and could end up as a backup / car bin in the future should you decide to upgrade.

I would definitely consider that Minox BV as a strong contender, I haven't handled the BV model (V = value line) but it has nice specs and gets good reviews from others here, and Minox in general puts out a lot of bang for the buck in terms of optics and build quality for the price. The Amazon reviews are all excellent as well.

The Vanguard Spirit ED is essentially a clone of the Nikon Monarch 5 (aka ATB) and should be a solid performer. It lacks in FOV though compared to the Minox. My gut is that the Minox will be a better choice.

Last edited:
If you're able to push your budget by another $50 or so you might consider the Meopta MeoPro 6.5x32.

The Vortex Diamonback series is a good value as well as the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with anything by Nikon porro or roof, or a Pentax roof in your price range.

Another option might be something from the used market like a pair of Zeiss Jena 8x30. When it's time to upgrade you can always sell them for what you paid for them.

Or, save yourself a small fortune and invest in a pair of "Zoomies"! :p

Last edited:
If you're able to push your budget by another $50 or so you might consider the Meopta MeoPro 6.5x32.

The Vortex Diamonback series is a good value as well as the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with anything by Nikon porro or roof, or a Pentax roof in your price range.

Another option might be something from the used market like a pair of Zeiss Jena 8x30. When it's time to upgrade you can always sell them for what you paid for them.

This 6.5x32 is also worth considering, particularly with the offer at the moment:
http://www.vikingopticalcentres.co.uk/this-weeks-offer/viking-6-5x32-md-binocular
They are very good binoculars and comparable to pairs that are much more expensive.

Or, save yourself a small fortune and invest in a pair of "Zoomies"! :p

Since you mention "ZOOMIES" by name, what is the CLOSE/NEAR focus for these nocs? I need a minimum focus of 10 FEET or less. Magnification is not as important as focus and FOV, the wider the better. No such info is available on the site. reeltoreelguy 'AT' gmail.com

Dear all

I've tried to inwardly digest all your sage comments on this subject and still find myself lacking the confidence to splash the cash. So, can you help?

Basically, although I might one day upgrade to more top of the range binoculars, I've decided at this point in time to limit my budget, in case I find the serious birdwatching pastime is (whisper it) no longer for me.:eek!:

This budget is about £200 UK or, given the cheaper prices in the States, $250 USD. I understand that at this price range Porro prism binoculars are likely to give you superior optics, so most of my attention is focused on those. Waterproofing is also a must, given the weather here in the UK. I have been looking mostly at 8x magnification and 32mm upwards objective lenses but would look at 7x or 10x but the relative brightness needs to stay high. Relatively close focus for looking at butterflies and moths would also be needed. Portability would be nice but not the most important criterion. I wear specs so adjustable eyepieces may be a boon.

I've set up a wishlist on Amazon UK (not associate referral links, just in case)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3C6NNJD1L7RV2

These are my prime candidates at the moment although of course, they dont meet all my own criteria.

If you have the time to look over my list, I'd appreciate any help.

All the best,

John

John,

Push your budget to 300 pounds and you can get the nikon EII 8x30, which has alpha quality view. It has a very wide FOV of 154m at 1000m and well controlled CA and it is very sharp. It will beat any on your wish list by miles. I own and have tried all the alphas. Trust me.

Joe

Last edited:
John,

You have a diverse list. I'm not sure I'm going to help you any by adding to it.

I agree with Andrew that the Viking MD 6.5x32 at £100 is going to take some beating on the quality of view for your money. However I know people are often cautious about about low power. How about another option. I don't know much about scopes but the Nikon RAIII 20x65 from Uttings at £119 sounds pretty reasonable to me. Both together only a little over budget. Of course you will need a tripod with that, but think of it as a head start for when you take up photography as your next interest . ;)

David

Torview swears by his Opticrons John. I find his views/ reviews very well balanced.

Rich

i`m blushing !

John i`m very much enjoying a Viking 6.5x32 right now, I`m blown away by the quality of view, I`m now convinced 6-7x is all you need 95% of the time.

Snap up a pair while you can, certainly £400 quality optics for very little money right now.

John.

Just some comments on binos on your list.

Celestron Nature 8x42. I've only tried the 8x30. Quite good for the money but I was discouraged by the number of broken pairs the reps had.

The Nikon Action VII is being replaced by the Aculon. Very good view for the money but most will find the ER is too short for glasses. Not waterproof.

The Nikon Action EX is normally fine with glasses and waterproof. If I could find one to try, I suspect the 7x35 with it's big FOV would be my choice.

Sorry to disagree with others but the Minox BV did not impress me.

Nikon Sporter is not phase coated and contrast/brightness could be better. The Prostaff 7 which can be found at about £180 is a far better choice IMO.

The B&S Sierra is phase coated and really not bad for the money. The edges are not great and there is a bit of CA around but the centre was pretty sharp on the pair I tried.

I've not tried the Vanguard Spirit ED, just the regular Spirit, twice. Both pairs were faulty.

I've not tried the others.

David

Thank you all for your kind words of advice. I have plumped for the Viking 6.5x32 at £99+P&P and I will let you know how I get on with them. Are there any questions from potential buyers that I can answer (when they arrive)?

John

Thank you all for your kind words of advice. I have plumped for the Viking 6.5x32 at £99+P&P and I will let you know how I get on with them. Are there any questions from potential buyers that I can answer (when they arrive)?

John

I`v been using them all day at Ynis-hir today, you won`t be disappointed, utterly brilliant binocular.

Enjoy.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back