• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hard to track Oriole (1 Viewer)

Arunav

Arunav
Some days ago, I saw a Eurasian Golden Oriole near my compound. It is a male which I think has been around for quite a while(three- four years).

It is very hard tracking it in Oak trees. Can someone give me advice how to track such birds in dense trees, when its not singing or calling?

Hi Arunav

very tricky indeed. a common problem in the rainforest environment too

i generally adopt a 'thousand yard stare' approach. This is where you effectively focus behind the canopy or the point where you imagine the bird to possibly be. It makes slight movement easier to pick up and increase your effective field of view. You oftyen end up picking up birds in the periphery of your normal vision that you would otherwise miss. Sounds strange but it does work!

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
i generally adopt a 'thousand yard stare' approach. This is where you effectively focus behind the canopy or the point where you imagine the bird to possibly be. Tim

Was your avatar made in a situation like this ?

Seriously, the proposed approach is really useful. I also like to think of it as a non-fixed stare = a sort of endless depth of field to use an optical term.

Yeah - damn those pesky rainforests!

Spent some time in Taman Negara in Malaysia and could hear birds all around but a nightmare to see -especially for someone like myself who was new to birding at the time.

I just became boggle-eyed with straining to see through the vegetation and the brief glimpses I did get were all too short for most species.

The same principle applies the semi-tropical forests I've visited in India & Central America........oh, and to Kielder Forest in Northumberland as well !!

Next time I reckon I'll employ a guide for the first day or so, so I can get to grips with things a bit before going it alone.

Alan

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Arunav

very tricky indeed. a common problem in the rainforest environment too

i generally adopt a 'thousand yard stare' approach. ...

Tim

I do this trying to find the sparrows in the dirt about 10 feet away from me too! LOL... .Works for everything! I can't see the darn things until they move as they blend in so well.

(Dirt as in we just built a house and have no grass and one solitary bird feeder so far.. lol)

Rebecca

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back