• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just An Observation (1 Viewer)

WJC

Just an observation.

I am getting ready to put some of my never used (by me), but taken in trade for optical work, binoculars on eBay and just went through 30 of them. I found I had 4 models from Asahi Pentax ALL OF WHICH were either in collimation or were EASILY within my range of spatial accommodation, although they were 40+ years old.

I’ll bet that when some of the newer instruments garnering so much attention these days are that old they will have been in a land fill for 20 years.

Ah, but I’m just an old guy remembering when service departments were only occasionally needed. :cat:

Bill

Hello Bill, and (belated) welcome back! I'd think that in 40 years, when folks like you and Cory are no longer here, people won't have any choice but to relegate their damaged binoculars to landfill.

Ed, I'm not fan of what those "gold" coatings in the eyepieces do to the view through those Asahi "Prism" binoculars.

Hello Bill, and (belated) welcome back! I'd think that in 40 years, when folks like you and Cory are no longer here, people won't have any choice but to relegate their damaged binoculars to landfill.

Ed, I'm not fan of what those "gold" coatings in the eyepieces do to the view through those Asahi "Prism" binoculars.

No worries, Pete. I decided about 10 years ago that I was going to live forever. And, so far, so good!

Bill

Bill:

I like your idea, we all have to sell a few things now and then. I am asking if you would
give us a heads up, when you start selling these. I assume they will all be in collimation,
and if not you will get them that way........

Jerry

Bill:

I like your idea, we all have to sell a few things now and then. I am asking if you would
give us a heads up, when you start selling these. I assume they will all be in collimation,
and if not you will get them that way........

Jerry

Jerry:

They will not only be collimated, they will continually overlook the oceanfront property I have for sale just 35 miles west of Wichita. Are ya interested?

No, my friend. Some are WELL inside MY range of spatial accommodation, and that's how I will advertise them, because I don't have a collimator. The first one to go onto eBay will be a 1935 navy (B&L) Mk 1 OR a 1943 navy Mk 32. Outwardly they both look largely the same and there is no nomenclature on either backplate. This was all too common over years of repair because parts were sometimes rushed into service before the appropriate markings could be affixed. It has the eyecups of the later version and I guess I should call it that to save confusion.

One thing I REFUSE to do is advertise it as “VINTAGE” like a huge percentage of sellers do who don’t know the difference between the word “vintage” and the words “old” or “junk.” My understanding of the King’s English precludes me from falling into that level of shady 3rd grade advertising. :cat:

Bill

My understanding of the King’s English precludes me from falling into that level of shady 3rd grade advertising. :cat:

Bill

Bill

These days its a Queen, so Queen's English, but I will let you off lightly because you correctly inserted the apostrophe :t: ;)

Lee

Bill

These days its a Queen, so Queen's English, but I will let you off lightly because you correctly inserted the apostrophe :t: ;)

Lee

Ah, Lee, I think it's a venerable saying that may not have anything to do with the sex on the throne. If you know with certainty that it is to change with the seat of power, please let me know.

I for one would never want to show disrespect to her majesty. The pomp and ceremony may be for the birds, but that old gal donned the uniform of your military, drove a truck, and did light automotive repair during the big one—that commands respect. :cat:

Ah, Lee, I think it's a venerable saying that may not have anything to do with the sex on the throne. If you know with certainty that it is to change with the seat of power, please let me know.

I for one would never want to show disrespect to her majesty. The pomp and ceremony may be for the birds, but that old gal donned the uniform of your military, drove a truck, and did light automotive repair during the big one—that commands respect. :cat:[/QUOTE

Bill: wash your mouth out! You really are a naughty boy mentioning 'sex on the throne' in the context of our monarch. Probably 'gender' on the throne would be more genteel.

But I accept your admiring comments on behalf of our Queen and will pass them on to her the next time she stops by for tea.

Lee

Jerry:

Edit .....

One thing I REFUSE to do is advertise it as “VINTAGE” like a huge percentage of sellers do who don’t know the difference between the word “vintage” and the words “old” or “junk.” My understanding of the King’s English precludes me from falling into that level of shady 3rd grade advertising. :cat:

Bill

Good luck on the bin marketing. Of course you know a thing or two about that endeavour. I spent my budget on a "Vintage" Celestron Ultima last week and hear about this opportunity this week!

The above quote has become an interesting take on an auction site complaint. I associate vintage with relic until proven otherwise. My "used" Ultima's were advertised on a local classified site as vintage. A FMC long eye relief BAK4 prisms bin with rubber eyecups built in the 90's is a vintage era gadget! The seller was mimicking the auction site ads.

The Olympus OM4 Ti was made maybe 1986 to 2002 and many on this site don't seem to know what mechanical cameras are.
I suppose it is pre-vintage.

I thought Vintage might be about 50 years old and Antique 100 years or so.

The Olympus OM4 Ti was made maybe 1986 to 2002 and many on this site don't seem to know what mechanical cameras are.
I suppose it is pre-vintage.

I thought Vintage might be about 50 years old and Antique 100 years or so.

Used to have a Canon AT-1 and later a Canon F1n, both match-needle, and a delight to use.

Your appraisal of what defines vintage and antique could mean me and you are Vintique, which actually sounds quite nice.

Lee

Last edited:
Good luck on the bin marketing. Of course you know a thing or two about that endeavour. I spent my budget on a "Vintage" Celestron Ultima last week and hear about this opportunity this week!

The above quote has become an interesting take on an auction site complaint. I associate vintage with relic until proven otherwise. My "used" Ultima's were advertised on a local classified site as vintage. A FMC long eye relief BAK4 prisms bin with rubber eyecups built in the 90's is a vintage era gadget! The seller was mimicking the auction site ads.

Hi Bob:

In a few days I will be selling a very clean 9x63 Ultima (actually a Swift Ultralight with rummer coating) with case for abot $100 or so. :cat:

Hi Bob:

In a few days I will be selling a very clean 9x63 Ultima (actually a Swift Ultralight with rummer coating) with case for abot $100 or so. :cat:

Pardon my jumping in, but if you ever run into a Fujinon Meibo 14x70 please let me know!

Thanks,
Alan

Pardon my jumping in, but if you ever run into a Fujinon Meibo 14x70 please let me know!

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan—who joined Cloudy Nights a month before I did in 2004:

Jump all you want! I have been out of the business for 9 years now, except for writing. So, I won't be in a position to help you with that one. And the sporting goods store in Twin Falls, Idaho would probably say, “What’s a Fujinon?” I’m trying to unload stuff now for a little “burger money” and so the kids won’t have to.

If memory serves—and these days, it does so sporadically—I believe the 14s were created for the Israeli Army. Thus, you might look to sources further East. :cat:

Best of luck. It’s a fine instrument, though the 16s are more plentiful.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back