• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Largest AFOV ? (1 Viewer)

I can fit the Visionking 5x25 in my anorak pocket.
FOV ~15 degrees.
AFOV~75 degrees simple.

There was an Olympus 10x25 reversed Porroprism binocular with a 7 degree FOV.
AFOV~70 degrees simple.
Quite nice, don't know why they stopped making it.

6x24 Amplivid easily fits in my pocket.
Over 12 degree FOV.
AFOV ~73 degree simple.
6x24 Trinovid similar I think.

Last edited:
WOW! They have an enormous field, but maybe with a blurred Edge? for location or Finder of birds can be one intetresting binoculars...also for wideeee vistas of the Milky Way (as I am astro-amateur).
Thanks
Wachi.

Hi,

compact EP, wide afov and sharp to the edge - choose any two...

Joachim

Beautifully and accurately put! :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.14.20 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.14.20 AM.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
WOW! They have an enormous field, but maybe with a blurred Edge? for location or Finder of birds can be one intetresting binoculars...also for wideeee vistas of the Milky Way (as I am astro-amateur).
Thanks
Wachi.

The Amplivid will also be extremely difficult to find (out of production for decades), expensive, and the 1950s era coatings will make it noticeably less bright than what is available today.

This, frankly, is probably the design that Leica should revive above all others - it's pretty much unique compared to anything else on the market today, is small and handy enough to attract the more "casual" binocular user, and with modern technology (multi-coating, ED glass, phase coated prisms etc) should have amazing performance. Leica ought to be able to charge a hefty sum for it. And CNC machining surely has to match - if not surpass - even the old school Leitz fit and finish.

The Amplivid will also be extremely difficult to find (out of production for decades), expensive, and the 1950s era coatings will make it noticeably less bright than what is available today.

This, frankly, is probably the design that Leica should revive above all others - it's pretty much unique compared to anything else on the market today, is small and handy enough to attract the more "casual" binocular user, and with modern technology (multi-coating, ED glass, phase coated prisms etc) should have amazing performance. Leica ought to be able to charge a hefty sum for it. And CNC machining surely has to match - if not surpass - even the old school Leitz fit and finish.

Sadly the Amplivids eye relief was derisory, so it did not give a comfortable viewing experience, at least for me.
The larger point though remains valid, a small, optically excellent wide angle glass would be a serious selling proposition. Maybe the Chinese will be the ones to offer one.

Hello,
Do you know which of all the binocular pocket has the largest apparent field?
Thank you
Wachi.

Many people want a wide field of view even if the outer portion of that field is insufferable. Hold an objective lens in front of you and look through it at various angles and it will become apparent that the lens will form an image that no eyepiece could accommodate. It is the job of the designer to put the field stop where the business owner thinks will get him the most sales.

For example, the Swift Ultralite, Celestron Ultima, and Adlerblick (all virtually the same) had a narrow field of view. However, THAT narrow field of view was equal to that of some binoculars that cost many times as much.

So, the observer must determine which is most important, locating the subject—possibly in flight—or identifying and enjoying the subject once found. :cat:

Just a thought.

Bill

Hi,

the Amplivid is certainly the one design that Leica will never revive - after all they never really got it to work well and it was cancelled after 6 years of production.

The reason was that the quite unique image erecting system consisting of one roof prism and a first surface mirror was very hard to adjust properly and didn't hold the adjustment very well either, thus producing lots of warranty repairs.

Also a first surface mirror at the time meant unprotected aluminum or silver, both loosing 8-10% of light when in optimal condition and going down from there... Nowadays that could be maybe solved with a dielectric mirror...

Joachim

Joachim, post 11,
If ever (but I think it will be never) Leica would produce the Trinovid 6x24 with exactly the same FOV as the Amplivid, but with Uppendahl roof prisms, it could be a success. However for quite a group of users the price might be a problem.
Gijs van Ginkel

Joachim, post 11,
If ever (but I think it will be never) Leica would produce the Trinovid 6x24 with exactly the same FOV as the Amplivid, but with Uppendahl roof prisms, it could be a success. However for quite a group of users the price might be a problem.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs,

I agree with that... but obviously re-issuing old Trinovid models is not that easy... although a usually well informed source told me they're not completely off the table...

Joachim

Hi Gijs,

I agree with that... but obviously re-issuing old Trinovid models is not that easy... although a usually well informed source told me they're not completely off the table...

Joachim

They need not re-issue the old Trinovid. Just produce THAT binocular under a different name. The vast majority of observers won’t know ... or care. The Asians have been producing NEW binoculars out of OLD binoculars for years. :cat:

Bill

So, the observer must determine which is most important, locating the subject—possibly in flight—or identifying and enjoying the subject once found. :cat:

Just a thought.

Bill

The two needn't be mutually exclusive. Moving the object found in your wide-field binoculars into the center of said view does the trick nicely.

To jring and Gijs; did the 6x24 Trinovid have Uppendahl prisms or a prism-mirror combo used in the other first generation Trinovids and the Amplivid? I thought (but please correct me if I am wrong) it was the latter setup that allowed such extremely large fields of view.

When I am looking through any binocular I am conscious of its actual field of view and what I see inside it. I never give any thought about it's "apparent" field of view.

Bob

To jring and Gijs; did the 6x24 Trinovid have Uppendahl prisms or a prism-mirror combo used in the other first generation Trinovids and the Amplivid? I thought (but please correct me if I am wrong) it was the latter setup that allowed such extremely large fields of view.

Hi,

iirc all early Trinovids used Uppendahl prisms. The prism-mirror system was used in the Amplivid and never again for good reason.

Joachim

Except in the Bresser SWA 7x32 13 degree plus and other sizes, and other brand names.
They give me a headache really quickly as the distortions are gross.
Some seem O.K. with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back