• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

damselfliy? (1 Viewer)

seb_seb

flying today in garden.
thnig body, and long wings.
It was mainly black but had blue rings on its lower abdomen
Any ID help?
Or have i been too vague..im not that good on insects

It certainly sounds like one of the two species Jeff mentions, and both occur in the West Midlands, Blue-tailed Damselfly is the commoner of the two but it's incredibly early for either - the first of the year??

Darrell

dunno where it came from either..but it appeared exhaugsted. I gently put it on a leaf ,as it was in my house, and put it on the hawthorn tree. It flew off a few minuters later.
It didnt have red eyes so i guess its the Blue-tailed one. Thanks for the help:)

seb

I've seen blue-tailed this year. Red-eyed is a shy species which is considerably scarcer. Other possibilities are common blue and azure...
female and immature damselflies can be almost devoid of the marks of the mature male... so I guess that the short answer is that you've not provided quite enough info. seb-seb.
(At least we can rule out large red damselfly which seems to be one of the earliest to emerge.)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back