• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Metal or electronic ballasts? (1 Viewer)

trealawboy

I'm in the process of building a moth trap, and wonder if anyone could advise on the merits of a metal versus electronic ballast control unit for an actinic tube.

I'm aware that a metal ballast is heavier, but is possibly more reliable and stands the rain better. Is however, the electronic unit able to run a wider range of tubes/wattages? And does it have any other advantages?

Thanks

Ok I have consulted Fry and Warings book on Moth traps and they are non specific about ballast types, the only thing they do say is "The manufacturers of Actinic and similar fluorescent tubes recommend high frequency control gear to operate these tubes from 12 volts d.c." I dont know if this helps at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back