• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flight Shot (1 Viewer)

psilo said:
Good exposure and detail but still looks alittle soft to me. Really 1/400 shutter speed isnt fast enough to capture these birds in flight. What iso where you using? 1/400 sounds slow for the lighting conditions show in this photograph?
Yes not the ideal choice.The reason being that the camera was pulled off the tripod in a hurry with these exposures already set for drinking Deer, it was a case of shoot now or lose the moment.I definately could have accesed a faster shutter speed with these good light conditions.

the originals however are quite sharp and any softness I think is due to repeated jpeg conversion in order to get the file size small enough for posting(I still have not found a good way of doing this in one step)

The iso by the way was 100.

Last edited:
mothman said:
Yes not the ideal choice.The reason being that the camera was pulled off the tripod in a hurry with these exposures already set for drinking Deer, it was a case of shoot now or lose the moment.I definately could have accesed a faster shutter speed with these good light conditions.

the originals however are quite sharp and any softness I think is due to repeated jpeg conversion in order to get the file size small enough for posting(I still have not found a good way of doing this in one step)

The iso by the way was 100.

Increasing your iso to 200 then would have helped considerably but I think you already know that ;) If the originals are sharp then you have a good photo there.
All I do to reduce is crop to required pizel size, edit then save for the web.

psilo said:
Increasing your iso to 200 then would have helped considerably but I think you already know that ;) If the originals are sharp then you have a good photo there.
All I do to reduce is crop to required pizel size, edit then save for the web.
There was enough light to stay at 100 ISO and get high shutter speeds but the Kite appeared suddenly in a gap above the bushes that I was hiding in and only gave me two frames, one of which suffered focusing problems.

Unfortunately in this case doing just a selective crop to the correct pixel size would have resulted in wing amputation!

"Unfortunately in this case doing just a selective crop to the correct pixel size would have resulted in wing amputation!"

Why would it?

300 m"m lens = 450 m"m due to crop factor .
Thus - 1\400 is too slow especially for a flight shot.

Even though I shoot in a sunny state - i have iso's of 1\320 or even
1\400 - just to get the high shutter speeds . ( I prefer Iso 200 but sometimes at dawn or dusk i need higher Iso's ) .
I'm always ready with these settings . ( Too many shots "missed" in the past, because of unprepaired camera settings ....).

I shoot in raw , and look at a 100% crop . If sharp - then i continue with the processing . If not sharp enough -----> recycle bin :C

Here's another example :
F\8 , 1\1250 , EV -1\3 , Iso 400 , HH
Matrix metering , aperture priority ,

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 98
psilo said:
"
Why would it?
Maybe I am misunderstanding you but I assumed you meant cropping using the cropping tool to the required amount of pixels,and being as the original image is 3440X2302 that leaves only a small area of breast feathers when you crop to the required size. Or do you mean something else?

DOC said:
300 m"m lens = 450 m"m due to crop factor .
Thus - 1\400 is too slow especially for a flight shot.

Even though I shoot in a sunny state - i have iso's of 1\320 or even
1\400 - just to get the high shutter speeds . ( I prefer Iso 200 but sometimes at dawn or dusk i need higher Iso's ) .
I'm always ready with these settings . ( Too many shots "missed" in the past, because of unprepaired camera settings ....).

I shoot in raw , and look at a 100% crop . If sharp - then i continue with the processing . If not sharp enough -----> recycle bin :C

Here's another example :
F\8 , 1\1250 , EV -1\3 , Iso 400 , HH
Matrix metering , aperture priority ,
In an ideal world I would not have CHOSEN these settings as I have explained.

This was a quick capture shot with the camera set for something else .

If I had stopped to alter settings I would have missed the shot.

Luckily i have got away with it due to the fact that there was no flapping involved and the bird was not moving its head too much,and I just had to pan,it was also helped by the fact that the camera was pointing up and resting on my face thus stopping the camera from shaking.

Last edited:
if you crop using the cropping tool to get the composition you like then click file,save for web and resize there.this is how i have always done it using elements 2.i think it is a great picture considering your settings.

Attachments

• gigrin.jpg
    gigrin.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 85
  • gig copy.jpg
    gig copy.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Mothman as colin says you crop to the composition you like. Resize to the required pixels, edit, then save for the web.

mike from ebbw said:
if you crop using the cropping tool to get the composition you like then click file,save for web and resize there.this is how i have always done it using elements 2.i think it is a great picture considering your settings.

Cheers Mate .

Because I have found the bundle of software supplied by Canon ok for my requirements(esp Digital Photo professional)I have neglected to purchase Photoshop.

Unfortunately that leaves me resizing with the web tool in Zoom Browser which only gives two choices of reduce to 30% (too small) and reduce to 60% (too large).

This means that I crop (not always possible on a frame filling subject),reduce to 60% and then have to fiddle further until I reach the desired size.

Last edited:
mothman said:
Because I have found the bundle of software supplied by Canon ok for my requirements(esp Digital Photo professional)I have neglected to purchase Photoshop.

Unfortunately that leaves me resizing with the web tool in Zoom Browser which only gives two choices of reduce to 30% (too small) and reduce to 60% (too large).

This means that I crop (not always possible on a frame filling subject),reduce to 60% and then have to fiddle further until I reach the desired size.

Why not trying this free software: FastStone Image Viewer? Cropping and resizing is very easy ... It has already been suggested here in another thread and I find it works very well
Cheers,
Max

Cheers for that Max!

The answer however, is round the corner as I urgently need to change my computer owing to rapidly diminishing hard drive space(it has always been a bit too slow as well)

I have promised myself Elements 5.0 when I have the luxury of more hard drive space.

gordon g said:
My thoughts exactly! Using exposure compensation can be tricky with very dark or light birds in flight, and there often isnt the oppurtunity to bracket. In these circumstances estimating the correct exposure from grass concrete etc in similar light and locking it manually seems to work best.
Im with you here all the way.
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back