• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide or Camo? (1 Viewer)

MarkCaunt

After making the jump from digiscoping to DSLR i soon realised i missed the range!
I think a portable hide and some patience will help me get closer to various subjects. SO im looking for recomendations.
Anyone used hides or camo in the field and recomend a retailer and particular type?

I was half temopted to go for a cheaper option and make a frame myself and then drape in camo? any thoughts?
i.e.
http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/leafscr.htm

thanks in advance for any comments!

Hi Mark,

go to www.wildlifewatchingsupplies and look at the C33 bag hides. I have one in showerproof advantage camo and one in lightweight hardwood camo and can really recommend them. If you are going to be stationary for any time I recommend a small lightweight folding stool, such as the 'walkstool'. Other wise just throw it over you like a poncho. Photographing birds was never meant to be this comfortable!!

Cheers, hope this helps,

Jon :hi:

I have yet to try a hide bag but like the concept.My last great buy was an army surplus NBCsuit off ebay thay come in standard DPM and cost less than twenty quid for a two piece suit thats water proofish breathablel and low rustle a bit of scrim to hide your face and a cheap pair of shooting gloves to hide your hands and your away for less than thirty quid. You will also find camo net on ebay.For around a tenner plus you should find 1x3m lenths ,two of these a couple of bungies and sticks and you can knock up a quick blind cheaply and easly ,leave it in situe and not worry to mutch about loosing it!

I use both camo and a hide.My portable hide is a fishing shelter sprayed with black primer streaks and blobs.There is a photo on another thread somewhere but I cant find it.Also worth mentioning is that Poundstretcher are selling rolls of brushwood screening for £8.The size is 4m x 1 m.If anyone is planning on setting up a feeding station this stuff is ideal for a semi permanent hide/screen.

I find that the Realtree advantage camo gear is very good,I use MAX4 for when I go down the marsh,and Hardwoods green pattern everywhere else as its like multi terrain.I also have some Realtree material that I use for a hide /blind.

I camed up my scope this week with two rolls of realtree tape from ebay [eleven quid].Not that we have a lot of trees to hide in but it breaks up the outline a bit though

Attachments

• 112_2169.jpg
    112_2169.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 146
  • CMMSOPPE.jpg
    CMMSOPPE.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 226
dafi said:
I camed up my scope this week with two rolls of realtree tape from ebay [eleven quid].Not that we have a lot of trees to hide in but it breaks up the outline a bit though
Snap Dafi,I did the same to my scope and tripod/camera but used a micro fleece type tape from the states,I think it helps a lot for breaking up the image.

Attachments

• CAMMED SCOPE.jpg
    CAMMED SCOPE.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 216
With regards to camo - could I humbly suggest the "scent blocker 3D real leaf " ? - it is pretty amazing ! ....sorry

Attachments

• bad 1.jpg
    bad 1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 279
danehower said:
With regards to camo - could I humbly suggest the "scent blocker 3D real leaf " ? - it is pretty amazing ! ....sorry

what you sorry about mate? looks like a good hood. I have a plain realtree one i use from time to time dont tell anyone but i bought it and my gloves at a big game fair. Nice and cheap!

realtree tape

dafi said:

Dafi, interested in that tape you are using but does it leave a residue after its been removed ?, that last thing I would not want it to damage the lens if and when I want to remove the tape. The lens coats are way over priced in my opinion. At the moment I am using camo cloth to cover my Canon L lenses.

Roy.

RoyH said:
Dafi, interested in that tape you are using but does it leave a residue after its been removed ?, that last thing I would not want it to damage the lens if and when I want to remove the tape. The lens coats are way over priced in my opinion. At the moment I am using camo cloth to cover my Canon L lenses.

Roy.
Hi Roy,I have used both tapes(Dafis' and my current one),neither leave any residue.
This is a link for the tape I am currently using which has a micro fleece finish(great in winter).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Camo-TREES...temZ130061280352QQcategoryZ7305QQcmdZViewItem

bobwoodcock said:
Hi Roy,I have used both tapes(Dafis' and my current one),neither leave any residue.
This is a link for the tape I am currently using which has a micro fleece finish(great in winter).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Camo-TREES...temZ130061280352QQcategoryZ7305QQcmdZViewItem

Ok Bob, thanks for your reply, sounds quite good, I have located another EBay seller in UK selling similure, he reckons it does not leave any residue the role is 2" X 120 inches he's started it off at £2.99 a role that I am watching at the moment. I thank you for the USA link the fleece idea sounds interesting.

regards

Roy.

RoyH said:
Ok Bob, thanks for your reply, sounds quite good, I have located another EBay seller in UK selling similure, he reckons it does not leave any residue the role is 2" X 120 inches he's started it off at £2.99 a role that I am watching at the moment. I thank you for the USA link the fleece idea sounds interesting.

regards

Roy.
Another idea I had some time ago which works quite well is I had my tailor run up some Realtree camo material(pre cut by me with instructions) with a velcro fitting to fit around my scope,he also made up some sleeves for my tripod legs.
Just a thought!!!
There is a tape that comes in 10ft rolls that is very tacky to the touch once fitted,I hope thats not the one you are looking at???

In the rain I use a sleeve cut from a childs camo raincoat (one my son grew out of )it even has an elastic cuff that fits snugly round the end of the lens.

Keep some of the body of the raincoat attached to the sleeve and it flaps over your camera too.

tescos sell them for about 3quid!

Last edited:
I use the same sort of thing!My 10 year old sons cammo jacket was too small for him so I ripped one of the sleeves off.It fits over my long lenses a treat.I would have mentioned it earlier but I thought you would all laugh!

I'm in the US where blinds and such are very common for hunting so I've had quite a bit of experience with them since my daughter started going with me. I don't know if there is something equivalent in the UK but I have watched a great many Turkeys, Crows, and song birds from these and typically will have Wrens, Cardinals, Crows, Turkeys, ect as close as 2-5 feet from the blind. They can be a little pricey but they are very nice and also easy to set up. BTW, I do not use them to hunt birds, just deer.

http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/brickhouse.html

http://www.doublebullarchery.com/matrix360.html

After making the jump from digiscoping to DSLR i soon realised i missed the range!
I think a portable hide and some patience will help me get closer to various subjects. SO im looking for recomendations.
Anyone used hides or camo in the field and recomend a retailer and particular type?

I was half temopted to go for a cheaper option and make a frame myself and then drape in camo? any thoughts?
i.e.
http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/leafscr.htm

thanks in advance for any comments!

TWO BAG HIDES ON EBAY, ONE AT £9.99 AT THE MOMENT.

I'm in the US where blinds and such are very common for hunting so I've had quite a bit of experience with them since my daughter started going with me. I don't know if there is something equivalent in the UK but I have watched a great many Turkeys, Crows, and song birds from these and typically will have Wrens, Cardinals, Crows, Turkeys, ect as close as 2-5 feet from the blind. They can be a little pricey but they are very nice and also easy to set up. BTW, I do not use them to hunt birds, just deer.

http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/brickhouse.html

http://www.doublebullarchery.com/matrix360.html

Hi Everyone,

I was curious if your just going out to shoot bird photos and don't plan to bring a hide or lay on the ground with a beanbag, etc... does cammo still help?

I'm new to the camo / hide technique but interested in learning. I've read birds see colors differently than we do and was wondering how well it would help if you were sitting in a metal folding chair digiscoping with some cammo clothing and netting to break up the profile of the chair and maybe tripod.

Does the small/medium tent sized hides work for the time your there to photo or would it spook some smarter birds off since its not what they are used to seeing? "Where did that new odd looking bush come from?" I could hear a weary and more intelligent bird thinking. :)

Just curious of your experience with cammo and birding photos.

I plan to buy a DSLR for general photography and save for a lens to photo birds with.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back