• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on buying 8x30 E II from Japan seller on amazon? (1 Viewer)

Well, my Eiis turned up, completely unnnanounced, today. Due to the phenomenon of orbit, it is unfortunately pitch dark. However, came from Camera in the Post, HK, beautifully packaged in enough bubble wrap to keep an obsessive happy for at least 24hrs, all accessories included, seemingly in very good nick - and inscribed with 'Made in Japan,' although i'd heard the new ones were put together in Malaysia.
So, i've been busy with some after-market stuff, fitting optechs into the lugs, connecting a Rick Young harness and S-biner lockable connectors, and waiting for light to go out and check collimation etc. Never was a night so long!
They feel great in the hand, although i can see why many fit Bushwackers to extend the objective barrelling. Just using them in the dim light of my Scheming Room, focusing on my aquarium (every Scheming Room needs one) reveals much about the centre resolution; can see individual scales on Angel Fish, small specks of algae on the glass that i thought i'd cleaned...
Comparing them to the M78x30 will be interesting, if the light ever improves in East Anglia. It's been like Mordor lately.

Tale of Three Porros

Got my 8X30 EII last week...marked on IPD hinge cap, "Made In Japan"! Amazon delivery was quick but poorly packaged. Due to the thin bubble wrapped envelope (no other protection provided), the OEM Nikon box had tears and damage, however the case\optics survived the ordeal perfectly... Now onto the "-My Eyes-IMHO-ME" observations...as always, YMMV!

Have been glassing through many daylight conditions and during late dusk evenings, taking in the local birding and landscapes I live in. Unfortunately, I limited outside excursions due to weather issues (90%+ humidity), but feel I've given them a fair shake. Overall, these are some serious quality porro optics. IMO, they have a solid build, posses wonderful clarity, great center field sharpness and deliver very accurate color fidelity. With their relaxed and natural view (I do not wear glasses), I seem to be able to use all of the sweet spot area (to my eyes, about 75% of their expansive FOV). They are very comfortable in hand, overall ergonomics are great classic design and focus, IPD and diopter functions are superb. I can easily see the attraction and personal commitment some have to these venerable optics.

As I stated in post #19, I was able to directly compare my 1999 Swarovski Habicht 8X30 W GAs to the EIIs. Did this become a "tale of two cities"...not really. Specs, Optics, Mechanics and Ergonomics are closer than I expected! However, in all lighting situations and various venues, the Habichts actually displayed just what phenomenal optics they really are! The swaro porro offered center field sharpness that allowed me to discern greater details in feather textures and bark structures with equal 3D depth, but in a wider sweet spot of clarity (to my eyes, about 90% of FOV). In focus DOF was slightly greater in the Swaro, allowing me to maintain focus with less adjustments. Overall ease-of-view was extremely close, but have to give the nod to the EII. The swaro is brutally sharp, so much that the EII view falls into place immediately, versus a split second later for the swaro. Shadows, low light performance and color fidelity all appear virtually equal, with the only major difference I could find being waterproof (Swaro) versus non-waterproof (Nikon).

During this time frame, decided to throw in my other nice 8X30 porro, the Leupold Yosemite 8X30! I really like these little waterproof jewels. As for the very modest investment of $65, they have a lot going for them. Actually in several areas (sharpness, clarity, color fidelity), I find the EIIs were closer to these Yosemites than to the Habicht. However, the EII build and overall handling is certainly superior to these bargain porros (at 7X the price, should be)!

Considering the Habicht 8x30 W GA (Gummi Armierung-thanks Lee) is no longer available and the Habicht 8X30 M black leatherette armored binocular runs about $1K new on the bay, the Nikon EIIs do appear to still be a great value in high quality optics. Since I already have in my optic arsenal the wonderful "Habicht Waterproof W GA" porro, find keeping the EIIs in use, in my region of the globe, is an issue that I don't need to face. Alas, I'm not in 100% due to this only issue I could find! However, if Nikon ever introduced an EIII that preserved the handling and optics of the EII and offered full environmental exposure protection, now That would be a Big Deal!! ;)

Ted

Attachments

• Nikon EII, Swaro Habicht, Leupold Yosemite 8X30s.JPG
    Nikon EII, Swaro Habicht, Leupold Yosemite 8X30s.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Nikon EII, Swaro Habicht, Leupold Yosemite 8X30s-2.JPG
    Nikon EII, Swaro Habicht, Leupold Yosemite 8X30s-2.JPG
    606.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
On my limited outings with the EII so far, i think i'm with you on all that you said. I can't compare them to a Habicht as i've never looked through one, but at the price, these are certainly very special. The first day, which was almost universal cloud but fairly bright, i could induce CA in bare twigs in tree tops, but only at the periphery. The next day (shorter trip) with less cloud, it was hardly noticeable and certainly not at the sweet spot.
My overall impression, having been deprived of porro views for some time, is of a naturalness - like you've just amplified your eyes, retaining that depth and 3D experience. I'm going to do my comparison to the M7 8x30 at some time, which i suppose is the modern, roof successor in portability, size etc.
Basically love it, but will only go out with it in the right conditions.

On my limited outings with the EII so far, i think i'm with you on all that you said...these are certainly very special...Basically love it, but will only go out with it in the right conditions.

PS,

Yep, Everything I've read\heard about them is accurate. If I didn't already own the Swaro Porros I have, I would have keep the EIIs in a safe place and used them cautiously and with TLC in the great outdoors...but that's just Me! B :)

Ted

Last edited:
I just bought the last pair on Amazon. Can anyone tell me what the warranty is on these? I have heard one year and then someone said lifetime. I bought some insurance for three years but I have 30 days to cancel at no cost. If it's a year I'll keep the insurance.

I just bought the last pair on Amazon. Can anyone tell me what the warranty is on these? I have heard one year and then someone said lifetime. I bought some insurance for three years but I have 30 days to cancel at no cost. If it's a year I'll keep the insurance.

Post #19! :t:

HERE's the Nikon Sports Warranty page!

Last edited:
Great, that just saved me $21. Now lets see, where can I find a binocular for $21. Don't want that money to go to waste.

On the other hand if I really like this binocular this would buy me a new one if I ever drop it or get it soaked being not waterproof. Might be worth the $$.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I feel that the EII is a great bin, but not a great bird watching bin, if you know what I mean. I was always afraid to use it if I thought I was going to get caught in the rain, the lack of rubber armoring made it too cold to hold in the winter and the focus knob too small for use with gloves. Plus for me the eye relief was far to shallow. Still it does have a nice view..... Ended up trading mine in for something a bit more durable - a Kowa 8x33 Genesis

Perhaps what we're talking about here is the difference between being a great birdwatching bin and your only birdwatching bin. I live in a climate which can only be described as unpredictable, but there are periods in the year when it's pretty much guaranteed dry, warm etc. Then the EIIs will go out. Otherwise the argument for a robust, waterproof roof set is strong! My FLs got soaked today (and yesterday, and the day before) with no ill-effects, while the EIIs lounged by the fire....
Only the guarantee thing, it is not just the manufacturer's guarantee - there is also that supplied by the retailer. Mine (bought from HK) have a one-year guarantee from the supplier.

I just bought what looked like the last pair on Amazon. I've had them for two days now and IMO they are flat out the best optic I've personally ever looked though. They beat out my Kowa Genesis 8x33 I just bought a day earlier for a rainy weather 8x and that cost 3x as much. Both pairs are now my little babies. I feel complete in the 8x part of my life. I shall now focus on 10x.

Edit: looks like they are already back in stock. Buy one!

Last edited:
I just bought what looked like the last pair on Amazon. I've had them for two days now and IMO they are flat out the best optic I've personally ever looked though. They beat out my Kowa Genesis 8x33 I just bought a day earlier for a rainy weather 8x and that cost 3x as much. Both pairs are now my little babies. I feel complete in the 8x part of my life. I shall now focus on 10x.

Great to hear, John! Thought you'd appreciate their optic virtues. As others have stated, and I concur, you could spend a lot more $$$ for little to no optical improvements...Enjoy!

Well, good luck on deciding a 10X. :eek!:

Maybe, since you love the EII so much, stay with that Nikon format in the available 10X35 EII !?! ;) :t:

Ted

Eii

Perhaps what we're talking about here is the difference between being a great birdwatching bin and your only birdwatching bin. I live in a climate which can only be described as unpredictable, but there are periods in the year when it's pretty much guaranteed dry, warm etc. Then the EIIs will go out. Otherwise the argument for a robust, waterproof roof set is strong! My FLs got soaked today (and yesterday, and the day before) with no ill-effects, while the EIIs lounged by the fire....
Only the guarantee thing, it is not just the manufacturer's guarantee - there is also that supplied by the retailer. Mine (bought from HK) have a one-year guarantee from the supplier.

Paddy, I bought the black EII from Japan, I was not going to pay upwards of $700 for the anniversary edition which has the same glass. The nice thing about the EII is that, a good competent optical repair person can repair the EII quite easily, (compared to a 8X30 roof prism) and make sure if you fold the eye-covers up and down frequently to use armor-all to prevent it from getting too dry.
I enjoy the view myself on dry days in the woods, it is a very unique glass and the one that got me started to enjoy optics.

Andy W.

Great to hear, John! Thought you'd appreciate their optic virtues. As others have stated, and I concur, you could spend a lot more $$$ for little to no optical improvements...Enjoy!

Well, good luck on deciding a 10X. :eek!:

Maybe, since you love the EII so much, stay with that Nikon format in the available 10X35 EII !?! ;) :t:

Ted

Wow thanks for the tip. I'm going to look at those.

I think I may have just found my next bino. The only issue with the EII is there is nothing like a close focus on the 10x but the fov is a little better than most premium bins. The price is right though.

Paddy, I bought the black EII from Japan, I was not going to pay upwards of $700 for the anniversary edition which has the same glass. The nice thing about the EII is that, a good competent optical repair person can repair the EII quite easily, (compared to a 8X30 roof prism) and make sure if you fold the eye-covers up and down frequently to use armor-all to prevent it from getting too dry.
I enjoy the view myself on dry days in the woods, it is a very unique glass and the one that got me started to enjoy optics.

Andy W.
Another EII top tip! I'm actually running the eyecups down, despite not wearing glasses, but i'll look into armor-all, which i hadn't heard of. Presumably a rubber softener of some kind...Mine are looking rather pimped-up now, on a Rick Young harness and with Bushwackers on the objectives. I found my little finger strayed over the objective edge onto the glass, which was a little annoying!

I love this little porro binocular so much that I just bought another pair to have as a backup in case accident or repair work. Also I'll be more inclined and relaxed about taking them out in dicy weather or more risky hiking situations knowing I have another pair.

I love this little porro binocular so much that I just bought another pair to have as a backup in case accident or repair work. Also I'll be more inclined and relaxed about taking them out in dicy weather or more risky hiking situations knowing I have another pair.

I have mine en route, arriving tomorrow. I went with Amazon.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back