• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips on taking flight shots with digital? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Using the Canon Canon S2-IS I realized it is probably going to take a picture of a bird in flight as it is not easy to line up a picture with the digital viewfinder or screen.I would like to get some photos of eagles in flight since there are a good number of Bald Eagles around here in the winter. DOes anyone have any advice on how you go about doing this? Any particular camera settings to use etc.?-thanks

lvn600 said:
Using the Canon Canon S2-IS I realized it is probably going to take a picture of a bird in flight as it is not easy to line up a picture with the digital viewfinder or screen.I would like to get some photos of eagles in flight since there are a good number of Bald Eagles around here in the winter. DOes anyone have any advice on how you go about doing this? Any particular camera settings to use etc.?-thanks

Hi Larry,

Me again! If you are taking shots against the sky, the camera will tend to underexpose the bird resulting in a silhouette. Compensate for this by either using manual exposure mode and deliberately overexposing by 0.7-1.3 stops depending on conditions, or dial in an appropriate exposure compensation factor on the camera and use the auto modes.

Apart from that, the best thing you can do is practice, then practice some more, then do a bit more practice.

Regards,

Duncan.

P.S. Did I mention this might take a bit of practice ;)

One issue will be as to how fast the autofcus is on the S2? My Panasonic FZ20 is pretty slow when it comes down to flight shots and the continuous focusing was not fast enough to keep up when panning. One way around this was by using manual to prefocus or half depress the shutter to set focus/exposure on a fixed point and waiting for the bird to come into view. Ideal if they fly the same route and you can be ready for them coming past. Another option would be to switch off the IS altogether if it's a bright day as that's supposed to speed up the camera (FZ20).

Using the EV compensation is almost a must do if the bird is going to be against the sky - but not so important if you have a higher vantage point looking down or can take the photo with the bird against a hillside. If you're below the bird and filling the frame then I'd be inclined to use spot metering and no EV compensation as the camera will take the metering from the bird. If the bird is small in the frame the average full frame metering may be better used with EV compensation and faster to operate.

For camera settings you have a choice of going for the fastest shutter speed to freeze motion - the camera maybe has an IS mode for panning shots - provided the bird is flying straight and level. The other issue is the depth of field, higher shutter speeds means wider aperture and narrower depth of field whereas a high aperture would give more depth of field giving a little more leeway for the focus point being slightly out.

A little of both could be done by using a higher ISO, maybe 200 or 400 - depending on how noisy the sensor is (the S2 looks a pretty good one) - that would give an extra stop of shutter speed for whatever aperture is selected.

As Duncan advises - take loads of photos and keep your fingers crossed! - works for me - sometimes ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back