• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three Men in another Boat (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
Saw the first of a two part series which is about Griff Rhys-Jones, Dara O Briain and Rory McGrath traveling along the south coast in various boats trying to reach the Scilly Isles. Rory has heard about a Common Nighthawk on the Islands so wants to try to see it, so this programme could feature a little bit of Birding, but if it doesn't its still a good laugh. Its on Monday 21:00 on BBC2.

Yes, could be promising Luke. Also watch out for the Cuckoo prog showing in Wales on Sat.
Talking about Cockoo's, dont suppose you want to organise a field trip in the Spring? ;)

Caught the programme but missed the first 10 minutes, should be a good laugh tho, pity about the Nighthawk, it was found dead, and being so close, wonder why he did not hang around to see the Cornish one.

Watched the final part last night, and as much as I enjoyed their antics I thought the birding bit was a complete waste of time, Rory describes himself as a birder and a bit of a twitcher, yet after all that effort in putting the prgramme together he arrived on the Scillies with not even a pair of bins with him. Was it just a piss take at the Scillies birding scene.

Was left disapointed and thinking it should have been much better.

I thought Griff made a complete prat of himself and it was fairly obvious that the birder that Rory introduced them to wasn't very impressed
i also thought that Rory can't be that much of a birder if he doesn't even take a pair of bins with him to the Scillies
cheers

I found them just about tolerable in the first episode, probably because the stunning photography kept me distracted.
The second episode was rather annoying, why show Rory waiting at an empty house in Redruth, also don't exagerate - Crofty mine is only accessible to a 1000ft with diving gear as it's flooded.
Sailing 'into' Newlyn doesn't involve sailing 'out' past Mousehole, St John's Hall amateur dramatics (great for the actors) didn't add to the program.
The IOS segment was just embarrassingly awful - comedians often need a good script writer - didn't have one there.
GRJ seemed to lose it completely - did he imagine anyone would find his dressing up act at all funny ?

I can imagine these 3 being a bit of a handful to direct but a firm hand could I'm sure get some real quality from them - a glimpse was had in the time they spent up Carrick roads at Falmouth and touched on the 'D' day embarkations.

As a Scilly regular from a few years ago I was interested in watching the second episode but apart from seeing a few old faces such as Will Wagstaff and Steve Young, it was the usual rubbish that television always seems to serve up when they delve into the world of birding. Rory clearly knows a fair bit about birds but sod all about birdwatching; fancy forgetting to bring a pair of binoculars! And yes, Griff Rhys Jones has gone down in my estimation a bit.

As a Scilly regular from a few years ago I was interested in watching the second episode but apart from seeing a few old faces such as Will Wagstaff and Steve Young, it was the usual rubbish that television always seems to serve up when they delve into the world of birding. Rory clearly knows a fair bit about birds but sod all about birdwatching; fancy forgetting to bring a pair of binoculars! And yes, Griff Rhys Jones has gone down in my estimation a bit.

Which is pretty much what I was going to post. I totally agree. It was disappointing. Instead of an opportunity to show birding in a good light all they saw fit to do was extract the michael. GRJ was not, funny, although he clearly thought he was, ditto Dara while, most disappointingly, Rory acted like a schoolboy who is trying to impress his mates by taking the piss out of his own hobby.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back