• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greatest Life Risk? (1 Viewer)

Once, in the height of the pre-monsoon hyper-humid season, I had the stupid idea to try to get to the Palas valley in Pakistan's North West Frontier Province, hope was for Western Tragopan.
I had signed up for OBC's aborted trip a couple of years ago. But WPA is now advertising a trip to Palas Valley for Western Tragopan, 2-23 May 2010. I'm definitely interested...

Richard

Guess you mean Alan Adams, Satyr Tragopan, Nepal. And the sad thing is it's an easy roadside bird in Bhutan...

Richard

Yeah...i do mean 'grizzly' adams...[as he was known].....lovely chap....good laugh...sad loss.

Always fancied Bhutan...[who wouldn't]?...not too keen on prices tho.....we always try to do trips as cheap as possible...[like a lot o folk i guess]....!

David Hunt in Corbett NP, very bad luck

I heard two versions of this story. One is that he was foolish and started photographing tigress with cubs. Another is that was a local male tiger with man-eating tendencies, incident was covered and the beast later ended up in a local zoo.

I heard two versions of this story. One is that he was foolish and started photographing tigress with cubs. Another is that was a local male tiger with man-eating tendencies, incident was covered and the beast later ended up in a local zoo.

It is closer to the first I believe, though his intention was not to photograph tigers. As I understand, he did leave the group to see what an owl was. Over a ridge/hill he encountered a tiger with cubs. At this stage, I guess we will will never know what his thoughts were, but the female jumped him. I once saw a TV documentary about tiger attacks and his death was mentioned and a photograph was shown which, I understand, he took - a tiger launching itself at the photographer.

I would, I don't think Somalia would be that bad...I've heard most of it is safe now, especially the south.

Might I suggest you are listening to the wrong news channel. ;)

This week, two French nationals seized in Mogadishu - now handed over to al-Shabab and will be subject to Sharia trial for "conspiracy against Islam". This week, in the south, gunmen crossed the border into Kenya and seized three foreign aid workers, taking them back to Somalia.

The whole of the south is basically under the control of hardline radical movements and none of it is even close to safe.

You might wish to try a pelagic seabird trip off their coastline however - these pelagics are slightly expensive though, the current rate is about US $1.8 million for a typical three-month sit out on the fair waters off Eyl. I would guess Socotra Cormorants might get a little boring after a month or two.

Last edited:
Liberian Greenbul anyone? I've heard Liberia is slowly opening up now, but mostly around Monrovia, the provinces mostly being off limits.

Is Iran a dangerous country to go birding in, or just an impossible country to go birding in? Thinking of the Ground-Jay

Is Iran a dangerous country to go birding in, or just an impossible country to go birding in? Thinking of the Ground-Jay

Iran is a superbly friendly country once in - unless you start meddling in politics, etc. Visas are hit and miss, but by no means impossible - basically you need an Iranian travel agency to get the permission for you, and many offer this as part of their service. Once in the country, there are no restrictions on travelling.

Jurek (BF member) has seen the Ground Jay, and we have an Iranian BF member who has photographed it.

Unfortunately, UK-Iranian relations have taken a tumble in the last months, which makes it a little harder for UK nationals to get a visa. Prior to this, it had been my intention to go to Iran this winter for the Ground Jay in particular, but need to see how it is with visas now.

Last edited:
Iran is a superbly friendly country once in

Indeed. And extremely cheap. I even took a couple of very crappy photos of Ground Jay.

Dutch and Swiss birders go to Iran regularily on small-scale organized trips.

I wonder if any living birder seen Afghan snowfinch?

Yeah...i do mean 'grizzly' adams...[as he was known].....lovely chap....good laugh...sad loss.

Always fancied Bhutan...[who wouldn't]?...not too keen on prices tho.....we always try to do trips as cheap as possible...[like a lot o folk i guess]....!

Yes username i couldn't agree more, Grizz was a great bloke. P.

You don't need a tiger.
Take a birder lost with his heads in the clouds and get between a wild sow and her small ones..... can turn ugly pretty quick in any country.

Mine fields can happen to you in some parts of Kuwait too.

You might wish to try a pelagic seabird trip off their coastline however - these pelagics are slightly expensive though, the current rate is about US $1.8 million for a typical three-month sit out on the fair waters off Eyl. I would guess Socotra Cormorants might get a little boring after a month or two.

Not to mention the pirates...

@John - sweet goodness :D

In Kuwait they don't even warn you.
Not even too late.

I mean, everyone knows that there are still mines in the desert and on a once beautiful touristic island (which you can now officially visit again).
Right? Right.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back