• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 .. which tripod/head combo? (1 Viewer)

pesto126 said:
Hi.. I am about to buy a Nikon ED50... want a really lightweight head/tri to go with it... Please let me know... thx!

I've got an ED50 and am also looking - the Manfrotto digi series look good:

718 - has pan/tilt head the 714 has a ball head - both are around £65 in the UK. Seem fairly sturdy and stable for such a light compact tripod and as a 6ft 1" birder they seem tall enough to use the angled version without extending the centre column.

I haven't purchased either yet - but I'm very tempted.

Richard

pesto126 said:
Hi.. I am about to buy a Nikon ED50... want a really lightweight head/tri to go with it... Please let me know... thx!

How about a monopod(monostat) and a manfrotto #234 head? They are very light. I mount 80mm scope and up to 30x, there is no problem.

I'll look at this combo.. I like the idea of a monopod.. however, I like the option of also just being hands off while I awaiting other species to move in and don't want to have to hold the monopod/scope all the time. otherwise, I think a CF pod would be ideal!

yes.. the 714 and 718 seem like decent tripods.. 2.5 or 3.1lbs and max hight of 64".. Now, to choose between a pan/tilt style or ball head.. I think I would go with the ball head for the lighter weight and smaller fold length.. seems like you would just set this baby up and forget it so long as the locking isn't too difficult.

The only bad thing is it doesn't seem to have dovetail setup.. 714 is screw in.. so, I'd need to buy an add'l dovetail plate for the ED50's Arca-style dovetail.. this seems like an added accessory that is difficult to locate.

So.. those that have the ED50.. what tripod/head combo are you using? If I could find a tripod like the 714 without a head.... that woudl be ideal!

Last edited:
Well.. I ordered the Manfrotto 715b.. nice and light tripod.. seems like it would be great with the ed50.. except it has a really strange quick release built in.. They give you an adapter that would be great on a P&S (screw in type_.. but the ED50 has a arca mount on the bottom.. so now what? I went looking online for an adapter.. but couldn't find one.

Oh boy.. I kinda think I'm gonna have spend the $$ to get a lightweight pod and a lightweight head... I'm trying to keep the whole package under 4 lbs..

Again.. any ideas? I need to buy tomorrow...

pesto126 said:
Well.. I ordered the Manfrotto 715b.. nice and light tripod.. seems like it would be great with the ed50.. except it has a really strange quick release built in.. They give you an adapter that would be great on a P&S (screw in type_.. but the ED50 has a arca mount on the bottom.. so now what? I went looking online for an adapter.. but couldn't find one.

Oh boy.. I kinda think I'm gonna have spend the $$ to get a lightweight pod and a lightweight head... I'm trying to keep the whole package under 4 lbs..

Again.. any ideas? I need to buy tomorrow...

Well since my last post I ended up buying the 718B and it works very well for the scope on it's own - surprisingly stable for the weight and even in moderate wind I could happily use the 40x end of the zoom. The QR supplied is a dovetail type with a (removable) pin that fits the hole in front of the tripod bush securely.
(see 1st photo)

For digiscoping the tripod isn't really heavy enough - the weight of the camera and rings leaves the tripod feeling a little unbalanced even if it doesn't tip. Attaching the scope to the Manfrotto universal plate then attaching the tripod quick release to the underside of the plate shifts the weight forward slightly and giving a pretty stable platform for digiscoping. A heavier tripod would no doubt be much better, but it's a solution.
(see second photo)

I'm sure there are other solutions but this seems to work okay, for relatively little expenditure.

Richard

Attachments

• 718B_release.jpg
    718B_release.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 287
  • manfrotto_universal.jpg
    manfrotto_universal.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 274
Thank you Richard.. I didn't realize the ED50 had a hole in the bottom of the arca mount! This should work just fine with the 715B then since it too has the converter with screw adapter! Well.. I should receive the scope today so I'll just wait and see. I hope this pod is sturdy enough for me.. if not, I'll look into the 718! Thx agan!

Richard D said:
Well since my last post I ended up buying the 718B and it works very well for the scope on it's own - surprisingly stable for the weight and even in moderate wind I could happily use the 40x end of the zoom. The QR supplied is a dovetail type with a (removable) pin that fits the hole in front of the tripod bush securely.
(see 1st photo)

For digiscoping the tripod isn't really heavy enough - the weight of the camera and rings leaves the tripod feeling a little unbalanced even if it doesn't tip. Attaching the scope to the Manfrotto universal plate then attaching the tripod quick release to the underside of the plate shifts the weight forward slightly and giving a pretty stable platform for digiscoping. A heavier tripod would no doubt be much better, but it's a solution.
(see second photo)

I'm sure there are other solutions but this seems to work okay, for relatively little expenditure.

Richard

Just figured I would follow-up in case any else is interested.. received the scope the other day.. boy is it small! Any way.. set it up on the 115 and it is a nice setup.. sure, the tripod is a bit flimsy and might not work well in a strong breeze.. but, it sure is a nice light setup for carrying around in the field. The quick release connector screwed right into the scope and is held tight on the tripod. Overall.. very nice!

I just acquired a Velbon Maxi347E tripod and tried it out with the ED50 at 27x this afternoon. I think the Velbon is a pretty similar design and size to the Manfrotto 718 that others have used. It can be bought for less than £45 at Devon Camera Exchange:

http://www.devoncamera.co.uk/index.cfm/photographic/Products.Details/product_id/873/referer/froogle

Basically it works fine for general viewing. There was a reasonable breeze blowing (around 9 knots), although conditions were clear, and I was still able to get good steady views with the tripod fully extended. It's probably not quite as steady as a big tripod but I don't think the differences are really striking, at least not in the conditions I used it in today. I have a straight scope and stand six feet tall and when the central column's fully extended I can look through the scope quite comfortably. The tripod weighs less than a kilo and, most importantly, folds up very small so that it fits easily into a day rucksack. It also fits into my office draw!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back