• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Air Travel with Scope and cameras. (1 Viewer)

roger48

I am travelling to South Africa in November. My wife is doing a painting course in Cape Town. I do not paint but I want to see and photograph the birds and other wildlife so I have wanted to find a case that will allow me to take scope and cameras as hand luggage on BA.

Well after a bit of research I have found the Peli 1510, especially designed to go as hand bagge. All its dimensions are below the maximum stated by BA so there should be no problems.

Great case, waterproof and secure, but expensive at £250. But, into it I have put my Zeiss 85mm diascope, Panasonic G2 and GF1, 20, 45 fixed lenses, 7-14, 14-42 and 45-200 zooms, flashgun, binoculars and sundry bits and pieces. Still space for the 100-300 if it is released in time.

Yes it is heavy, but so long as I can lift it into the overhead locker it will be OK. Only thing missing is a tripod but I will take a monopod and a Gorrilla pod which I hope will surfice.

Anybody else used one of these cases?

Tripods are pretty much bombproof so put it in the hold baggage.

Cases such as these also scream out to potential thieves that there is something worth nicking inside. So you might want to consider disguising it in someway especially when you are walking around the airport. South African airports, well airports all over the world, are a mecca for thieves and stats show that theft of hand baggage is as big a problem as theft from hold baggage.

Check the bit about cabin luggage weights, I always kept mine to a minimum and I'm sure there is a weight limit. Security will also want to look through all the optical items in my experience. Have a great trip!

I've never used a peli case but have read very good reviews on them. Sounds ok for BA longhaul but would be no good for the likes of Ryanair whose cabin baggage is restricted to a strict 10 kg.
SA is fantastic, I'm sure you will have a great time,

Andy.

I too was looking at that same Peli but here in America I can get it for $140 or 90 pounds. Are you telling me that in Britain the price is that much more...? WOW! ... Check out this site and see if they can ship it.. http://www.pelican-case.com/chart.html

I have thought of getting something that can hold both too....I am not sure that that Peli can hold all of my gear....150-500 Sigma, Canon 40D and scope plus cameras etc.. I was looking at the Peli 1600... 150$ here on the site I was looking at...

Just a suggestion...although not sure if that Peli can be onboard or not since it is 24.5 inches x 19.43 x 8.68...you do the conversion but I think it might be just a bit over it,...might work though. jim

Hi Imans,

Yeah, I know everything is cheaper in the US, such is life. For the cost my Peli is fully fitted including lid fitting and a lock. The actual dimensions are 55.9 X 22.9 X 35.1 cms , all less than the BA maximum of 56 x 25 x 46 cms, so it will be OK. It also meets the less than 114 cms for adding all dimensions specified by some airlines. On weight, BA say that you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker unaided, which I can.

Cheers

Roger

Last edited:
I have the 1510 down as weighing twice as much as the 1450....I realize it is bigger but was wondering why? I have it as 6.16 kilos, do you find that pretty heavy by the time you start putting in your gear?

Yes, with all my gear it weighs about 13kg. But, it does have wheels so is convenient for hauling gear around even on fairly rough ground. I find it better to have the scope and cameras in one case rather than needing three shoulders to carry everything. I do not normally carry all my gear, only what I need, so I would rarely have the full 13kg.

It also makes a good seat. :-O

I wouldn't normally carry all of my gear either but I like the idea of being able to, when needed. Sometimes you want the scope, other times the camera+lens.

I like the 1510 too as it has wheels and by the time you add in scope/camera etc...camera/lens etc..you are looking at additional 12+ pounds. Wheels is great.

I saw on a posting a long time ago that wheels might hurt a lens....the constant moving or jarring might takes its toll on AF. Has anyone seen any research on this or is this just pure conjecture? jim

The Peli worked very well for my SA trip and I was able to get some really good shots, especially on the Cape Peninsula. Security at Terminal 5 had no interest in looking at the contents so I was quickly through to airside.

Next big trip is Kerala in southern India next November. That is a photo course so the Peli and scope will stay at home. We are flying Emirates and their cabin baggage rules are different from BA. Why cannot they agree an international standard?

I followed the tip about tripod in the hold and that worked a treat.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back