• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

northern lights tonigh 17/02 (1 Viewer)

Fog forecast for you so the hills might be good to get above it if it's low lying. Further away from town lights the better.

I could look in any direction here and it wouldn't make any difference; cloudy for the next 5 days at least :(

Fog forecast for you so the hills might be good to get above it if it's low lying. Further away from town lights the better.

I could look in any direction here and it wouldn't make any difference; cloudy for the next 5 days at least :(

Thanks, we don't really get much light pollution up here compared with where I used to live. Most websites indicate after midnight is best..?

I would look after dark and just keep checking regularly. Around the midnight mark seems to be a key sort of time here. I dont see much activity out there right now and i have just been looking at the aurora warning map on my blog. Saying that it is working in real time so it might heat up later. I was on it last night and there was hardly a breath of solar wind showing on the fifteen minute review. fingers crossed tho!!

There was a resonable display about ten days ago, did anybody see that?

Just had a quick look on the blog and the activity has intensefied, the yellow is now darker (realy need it going orange and red) but the best thing is that the ring is stretching down to the 60 deg line towards Canada which bodes well for our lattitudes.

Marcus i would head away from the city light to somewhere you have a good view of a distant horizon with a flask of two of coffee for a couple of hours.

However ...and it is a big however, i see there is a full moon that is well up all night and not setting till six the morn.

This will flood the skys with far to much light to see much if there is a display.

You might be best to keep your powder dry and try for a darker night.

Last edited:
We went up the hill away from streetlights last night on the Black Isle, however as dafi says the moon was very bright. Still, it was nice looking towards Ben Wyvis.

I was a bit plauged by low cloud on the northern horizon. If i had headded east fifteen miles i would have had a better view, you only find out to late tho...wry smile...Heres one from the Standing stones of Stenness.

Attachments

• P1060017.JPG
    P1060017.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back