• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

black throated diver breeding in galloway (1 Viewer)

2 years ago in the summer i was fishing a loch in galloway and waded out into the water to fish from a small island when a huge black bird clumsily got into the water making a huge splash, within seconds it was about 20yards away in the water with only its long neck sticking out staring right at me. i didnt know what it was, so looked it up and saw it was a black throated diver on the rspb site but it said they usually only breed in the north of scotland. it was definetely breeding in this galloway loch because beside the numerous seagull nests full of eggs was a a nest with 2 huge eggs in it so i quickly made a retreat and left it alone. is it rare for these birds to breed here?

2 years ago in the summer i was fishing a loch in galloway and waded out into the water to fish from a small island when a huge black bird clumsily got into the water making a huge splash, within seconds it was about 20yards away in the water with only its long neck sticking out staring right at me. i didnt know what it was, so looked it up and saw it was a black throated diver on the rspb site but it said they usually only breed in the north of scotland. it was definetely breeding in this galloway loch because beside the numerous seagull nests full of eggs was a a nest with 2 huge eggs in it so i quickly made a retreat and left it alone. is it rare for these birds to breed here?

Scots will know a lot more than I do, but I have read that black-throated divers sometimes attempt to nest in southern Scotland. Thank you for wisely not mentioning the place where you found them.

Allen

Hi Colin.Please do not reply to any Private Messages asking you for Information of where you were fishing.No matter how Innocent the question may seem.The birds welfare always comes first.

Good luck and tight lines,this coming season.

The 1968-72 Atlas said "a pair in Galloway in 1974 represented the first successful hatch in that region"; and there were none in the 1988-91 Atlas. So yes indeed, no details to people you don't know.

thanx for the replies. i would never mention the name of the it is quite remote anyway and not fished too much. seems that it quite rare to have them breeding down here i am quite surprised, i will defo be going back to that loch this year to see if its back. thanx aswel for the birdtrack link

I would contact Paul Collin the county recorder for Dumfries ad Galloway with this information, as this would be fantastic for them to be breeding in Dumfries & Galloway

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back