• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

A decent month on the patch came to a close today with a single Golden Plover heading east over Costessey Marsh this evening, a much appreciated patch first. Little Owl and Hobby have been around, whilst early in the month a flyover Green Sandpiper, Reed Warbler and Treecreeper were all good patch birds.

Joseph

I saw a buzzard flying over NFC training ground on Saturday afternoon, it was very low and seems to perch on the opposite tree before it flew off.

I saw a buzzard flying over NFC training ground on Saturday afternoon, it was very low and seems to perch on the opposite tree before it flew off.

I regularly see a Buzzard on my way to/from work along the A47 near the training ground. There's a tree it regularly perches on top of on the training ground side of the road too.

A Spotted Flycatcher at Costessey House Private Estate this evening, in bushes at the back of the paddocks. It was the highlight of quite a productive day on site, which also included 2 Nuthatches, 2 Kingfishers and a Little Egret.

On the subject of Buzzards, there is a pair over towards Low Road that often favours the patch; I suspect they have bred, though I haven't seen any juveniles as of yet.

Joseph

Keen to start going to Whitlingham to go through the gull roost in the evenings/afternoons. Anyone now when the numbers of larger gulls will start to build up?

Cheers

October is usually the best month. There are large numbers, but quite a fast turn over of birds arriving and departing. I'd be interesting in hearing how you get on.

James

Keen to start going to Whitlingham to go through the gull roost in the evenings/afternoons. Anyone now when the numbers of larger gulls will start to build up?

Cheers

Had 5 birds fly high north over Whitlingham this afternoon at around 1645 - looked and sounded like Stone curlew, probably not so unusual at this time of year as they disperse from breeding grounds and prepare to head south.

Possibly Shaky09's bird from Colney, I found an Osprey over Costessey Ski pit 0855 till 9am this morning when drifted off low North. I relocated it after 9 sitting in a dead tree on Taverham Mills Lake (TG159133) and still there at 9.20. You can view through the trees as I did, but parking along here is very limited and the road is quite busy. I'm aware that you can get a day ticket to the fishery for £2 (access along the track at the roundabout by Taverham church) which would be much safer and probably afford much better views. Unfortunately I have already put work off long enough this morning!..

Also Hobby over Costessey pits and my first Redwing of the Autumn.

Mike

Sounds like it would make for a great picture sitting in the tree mike, hope u got one?
My one was merely a naff record shot. Beautiful bird and great start to a working day!
Shaky

Nope! Would you believe I left my camera at home? I think I should write a paper on the likelihood of seeing good things when you don't have a camera. I did get some awful "phone to bins" pics which are just about identifiable, but not much more than that. Would have got some good ones with the camera though. Unfortunately didn't have time to go back and get it! Lets hope it hangs about, although I had a quick look around 4ish with no luck.

Nope! Would you believe I left my camera at home? I think I should write a paper on the likelihood of seeing good things when you don't have a camera. I did get some awful "phone to bins" pics which are just about identifiable, but not much more than that. Would have got some good ones with the camera though. Unfortunately didn't have time to go back and get it! Lets hope it hangs about, although I had a quick look around 4ish with no luck.

Always the way hay?!
Great bird and I hope I get another glimpse of it before they go
Shaky

Osprey again at Costessey pits this morning at 0910 but it departed low NE soon after and I couldn't find it again, so presumably perched up out of sight nearby to get out of the wind and rain.

Also quite a few Redwings moving this morning; in just under an hour I had 356 (the vast majority West) low over the treetops - one flock 85 strong. Also 23 Pink-feet high SE and handful of a few pipits and finches moving.

Attached a record shot of the Osprey. This time I had my camera, but it didn't come close and it wasn't on the dead tree at Taverham Mills lake when I left.

Mike

Attachments

• P1030914.jpg
    P1030914.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Not as many, but there have been small flocks of Redwings flying over Lakenham and the city centre for the past couple of days.

On my way home from work today I looked for the Firecrests that were reported on Lakenham Way this afternoon. I located a/the tit flock about half way between the Sainsbury's end and the Hall Road bridge, but it was too overcast to be sure what was in there. Will try to look again tomorrow at some point.

Calmer conditions this morning! Highlights in 55 mins this morning:

Redwing 614 mainly SW
Song Thrush 6 SW
Brambling 3 NE

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back