• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Microscope for Owl Pellets (1 Viewer)

Roger P

I've been using a borrowed binocular / stereo microscope to analyse the contents of owl pellets. The owner has to have it back very soon. I'm thinking of buying my own. Can anybody make any suggestions as to what make / model I should look at?

The small Zeiss 8x20s make a fine stereo microscope. Zeiss offers(ed) a stand which allowed for hands free operation, which is sometimes sold on Ebay for about $100.
Presumably any similar binocular would work as well.

The small Zeiss 8x20s make a fine stereo microscope. Zeiss offers(ed) a stand which allowed for hands free operation, which is sometimes sold on Ebay for about $100.
Presumably any similar binocular would work as well.

Pentax Papilios'

Just an addition to this thread.
Anybody deciding to 'have a go' at the owl pellet thing, my advice is to always, pick the pellets apart under water! This will safeguard you breathing in fungal spores that could be harmful.

Thanks all, although I'm probably even more confused at the range of possibilities.

Thank cheersm8, I always soak the pellets and dissect them underwater, I think you can do the job more thoroughly but hadn't thought about spores. Lighting / reflections can be difficult though.

Any one use a particlar 'scope they'd recommend?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back