• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fascinating Flycatcher from Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
This caused me something of a panic last week!

Attachments

• Flycatcher sp A.jpg
    Flycatcher sp A.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Flycatcher sp B.jpg
    Flycatcher sp B.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Flycatcher sp C.jpg
    Flycatcher sp C.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 177
Blimey Chris... did it look like a Spott fly in general demeanour? it looks really long-legged in that first pic too... I'm guessing you have been though all the other possible Muscicapa flycathers!

I was expecting it to be a hybrid type Collared/Pied or Semi-collared from the description...

From memory.. need to dig out Svensson - its an adult... so either its stained or just has a smoky head....

I have seen a charred Spott Fly - that I'm guessing got too close to a gas flare!

Last edited:
It looked just like a Spot Fly in all other respects, Jane - although it was considerably more 'secretive' than the thousands we saw during the fortnight.
I've only checked the south-east Asia field guide (the bird was seen after a week of easterlies) and I can't come up with owt else, it's gotta be an 'odd Spotty'.

Bluetail said:
Why couldn't it be just melanistic?

I'm sure it is Jason, it's just the distribution of the melanism seemed a bit odd - being restricted to the face and breast as it was. When seen from the rear it was just like a 'normal' Spotty. I would have expected (perhaps wrongly) that there would have been other areas of plumage affected. It certainly wasn't stained in any way.

Grousemore said:
Hope they weren't all as difficult as that one!
Welcome back and hope it was a good trip...looking forward to hearing about it.

Thanks Trevor, it was a wonderful trip and most of the birds were fairly straightforward to identify - although I must admit to being somewhat daunted by the larger raptors (eagles in particular) in the early part of the trip.
I'm working on the report and hope to be posting something later in the week.

The right hnd picture seems to be the most revealing - its as though the streaks on the feather shafts are unusually thick,.... but otherwise the correct colour for a Spot Fly

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back