• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Four-Thirds (3 Viewers)

In December I was told by my Olympus customer service rep, after my third EVF replacement, that there would be a fix coming from Olympus in March of this year. A couple of weeks ago I was told by the same person, that there would NOT be any fix from Olympus:-C, but that if it burns again they will keep replacing it|^|. Knowing exactly what will happen as soon as I take the camera out into the sun, I decided to take maters into my own hands and bought an IR cut filter (about $40) and tested it to see if it would in fact cut IR transmission. Here is a short video of the test.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xu4r22qpo7ywqo0/E-M1 IR cut eye piece.mov?dl=0
Seeing that it does, I then ground it down and glued it into a modded E-M1 eye cup that I made to help keep the sun out.
3T041055.jpg
I know, it looks crappy, but if it works.....B :) and it is for sure a hell of a lot better than what Olympus has been able to come up with!
The nice thing is that although you can see the reddish cast of the coatings when viewed at such an angle, looking straight in there is no discoloration and no darkening of the EVF. It might not be 100% effective, and I will continue to take the same precautions as before, but if it is good enough for those brief moments when the sun does find its way into the EVF, then it is good enough for me.

Last edited:
In December I was told by my Olympus customer service rep, after my third EVF replacement, that there would be a fix coming from Olympus in March of this year. A couple of weeks ago I was told by the same person, that there would NOT be any fix from Olympus:-C, but that if it burns again they will keep replacing it|^|. Knowing exactly what will happen as soon as I take the camera out into the sun, I decided to take maters into my own hands and bought an IR cut filter (about $40) and tested it to see if it would in fact cut IR transmission. Here is a short video of the test.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkoojcz87ix0n6a/Astronomik%202.mp4?dl=0
Seeing that it does, I then ground it down and glued it into a modded E-M1 eye cup that I made to help keep the sun out.
View attachment 538566
I know, it looks crappy, but if it works.....B :) and it is for sure a hell of a lot better than what Olympus has been able to come up with!
The nice thing is that although you can see the reddish cast of the coatings when viewed at such an angle, looking straight in there is no discoloration and no darkening of the EVF. It might not be 100% effective, and I will continue to take the same precautions as before, but if it is good enough for those brief moments when the sun does find its way into the EVF, then it is good enough for me.

Interesting ! Mine burned - 3 very small spots at the very bottom of the VF - and Olympus Canada quickly repaired it. It took about 10 days, including shipping both ways. Where did you get the filter ? Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
I bought it from a local telescope shop where my friend works. It is a standard item in astro-photography. Mine was made by Astronomik in Germany, but there are many to be had. I went with this type rather than the perhaps more effective Schott KG3 glass filters that cost twice as much and are 3mm thick rather than the 1mm of the one I bought. Easier to grind down and fit in the eye cup.

Olympus Europe has always been very quick to collect my camera and return it repaired, usually within one week. They have been very cooperative and understanding. It is not their fault that the engineers in Japan botched the design of the optics in the E-M1's EVF.

I bought it from a local telescope shop where my friend works. It is a standard item in astro-photography. Mine was made by Astronomik in Germany, but there are many to be had. I went with this type rather than the perhaps more effective Schott KG3 glass filters that cost twice as much and are 3mm thick rather than the 1mm of the one I bought. Easier to grind down and fit in the eye cup.

Olympus Europe has always been very quick to collect my camera and return it repaired, usually within one week. They have been very cooperative and understanding. It is not their fault that the engineers in Japan botched the design of the optics in the E-M1's EVF.

Thanks for the info Dan. Have you seen this ?
http://www.optics-online.com/IRC.asp?PN=IRC20-10R

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Had my EM1 fixed, defect rear dial. Got The camera back in less than a week. They also cleaned the camera and added 6months guarantee.

I have just found out that the Metabones Smart Adapter EF-MFT m43-BM1 has gotten a firmware update and will now autofocus (S-AF only) Canon lenses on the E-M1 or other Oly mFT bodies with phase detect AF. And I was JUST about to go with a 7DII + 100-400 II just yesterday! Will definitely give the adapter a good try now before I do. I love the Canon 400/5.6 on the E-M1, and they can be found now very cheaply as they have no IS and the Canon boys don't like that and are all switching to the 100-400 II.

I have just found out that the Metabones Smart Adapter EF-MFT m43-BM1 has gotten a firmware update and will now autofocus (S-AF only) Canon lenses on the E-M1 or other Oly mFT bodies with phase detect AF. And I was JUST about to go with a 7DII + 100-400 II just yesterday! Will definitely give the adapter a good try now before I do. I love the Canon 400/5.6 on the E-M1, and they can be found now very cheaply as they have no IS and the Canon boys don't like that and are all switching to the 100-400 II.
Dan,
I have read about this Metabones adaptor but not paid attention to it. If it works fine it could be a lightweight option to consider when on travel or hikes. The 50-200SWD (+EC14) is a great lens but a bit on the short side for many situations. The 50-200SWD +EC20 requires stopping down to F/9 to deliver good IQ but F/9 calls for good light conditions. The 300/2.8 is outstanding but a tad heavy to carry around.

What are the price points for the adapter and the Canon 400/5.6?

Please keep us updated...

Unfortunately it seems it is a real juice hog, at least with the Canon 400/5.6. Not more than 100 shots per battery.:C:-C
Not sure whether it is the lens or the adapter that is so thirsty...
I have seen it in Switzerland for around €300, but they only ship within Switzerland. In Germany I have seen it for under €400 + shipping. $399 in the US.
I have seen the 400/5.6 for around €700.- A steal!

Unfortunately it seems it is a real juice hog, at least with the Canon 400/5.6. Not more than 100 shots per battery.:C:-C
Not sure whether it is the lens or the adapter that is so thirsty...
I have seen it in Switzerland for around €300, but they only ship within Switzerland. In Germany I have seen it for under €400 + shipping. $399 in the US.
I have seen the 400/5.6 for around €700.- A steal!

I have been looking at that too. Price is 1000-1300$CDN for the lens. My worry is FOCUS :eek!::eek!: How quick and accurate ? BIF ?

According to my friend in Germany it is fast and accurate. He sent me a shot of a Crested Tit that went zipping buy and it nailed it, even though it was so far away that the took up only a tiny part of the frame.
Here is a set of quick shots he took the other day, all with the 400/5.6 and the EF_m43_BM1, and without a tripod.
http://www.nnplus.de/Diary2015/20151002/album/index.html

They all look spot on to me.

The 400/5.6 has no focus limiter, so if it misses it wants to search through the range. He said when it misses he just lets go of the half pressed shutter and taps it once or twice and it goes back to the further away object. As I understand it, Oly lenses try to focus on the closest object and Canon lenses on the furthest, which makes more sense with long lenses.
I only hope it works better than the 50-200 on the E-M1 which I find very sluggish in all but the best light. It works so much better on my old E-30!

Daniel,

When reading further about the Metabones smart adapters it appears they have built-in focal reducers (I have seen both 0.64x and 0.71x).
Is this correct? If so then maybe it is less interesting than I thought in the first place. I think the 50-200SWD has more than acceptable AF speed, though it is better on the E5.

Tord,
They make two, the SpeedBooster with reducers, and the Smart Adapter without.
http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2
I find the 50-200 on the E-M1 ok when the light is good and the subject mater is advantageous. But it is a pig if the light is not so good and if there are no clear, contrasty structures in the subject. The E-30 handles it all, like the E-5. It is a drawback of the neither here nor there on sensor phase detect idea.
True, it is better than when it first came out, but it is far from what I would call good.
In Falsterbo I met an ornathologist who had a Canon 5DS with a 100-400 II zoom on it. I couldn't believe how fast and accurately it focused! Bam! Like that. .... sigh....

Tord,
They make two, the SpeedBooster with reducers, and the Smart Adapter without.
http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2
I find the 50-200 on the E-M1 ok when the light is good and the subject mater is advantageous. But it is a pig if the light is not so good and if there are no clear, contrasty structures in the subject. The E-30 handles it all, like the E-5. It is a drawback of the neither here nor there on sensor phase detect idea.
True, it is better than when it first came out, but it is far from what I would call good.
In Falsterbo I met an ornathologist who had a Canon 5DS with a 100-400 II zoom on it. I couldn't believe how fast and accurately it focused! Bam! Like that. .... sigh....

The Canon 400mm is not in the list of Metabones supported lenses... and Olympus cameras are not supported. IMO, 1500$US for lens and adapter is an expensive proposition for a lens and adapter that MAYBE will work.

On the other hand, if it works well on the EM-1, it becomes a 400mm f/5.6 stabilized lens. Pretty nice for 1500$.

The Canon 5DS with a 100-400 II zoom is indeed a nice package. It better be because it costs 5900$US... it also weights 2.5kg :C.

The list is not up to date because of the new firmware. Many lenses now work that might not have worked before. Also, the list is of lenses they themselves have tested. Just got a mail from my friend in Germany. Says it works a treat! Maybe there are things it can't do, like AF in video on the E-M1, but I will be happy if it just really works well in S-AF.
Who knows, maybe they will crack the C-AF nut sometime and provide updated firmware.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back