• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ball-head question..... (1 Viewer)

ls,

I am currently using a manfrotto 55cb with 141rc-head for my precious swaro
ats80hd telescope, this is my prime setup for birdwatching...
And for that type of use good enough.
But this manfrotto-combo is in my opinion very bad when i use it with my photographic equipment. It is simply not sturdy enough for long lens usage.
so i am thinking of buying a gitzo with arca-swiss/markins/kirk ballhead solution.
I wonder if there are many birders using a ballhead to support their telescope?
i personally think that it is not very handy to steer a big telescope when placed on a ballhead.
And carrying two tripods around for either watching or photograpy is not an option for me...
is there perhaps someone who has some advice on this for me?
greets,

martijn

I use a Markins ballhead with my Swarovski 80 scope. I love it. It's small, compact and light weight. Also smooth and it locks up right where you want it to. If I was into photography with big lenses I would have one for sure. The Markins can handle lots of weight- more than most scopes. The only thing that may annoy birders with spotting scopes is that it creeps off the vertical axis a bit. Big deal, as long as you can find the bird and track it, who cares? I'll take my ballhead over any other head any day!

Martijn save yourself a bit of grief, spend a little more and go for a gimble head. I myself have spent hundreds on different heads inc Manfrotto 501, 701rc2 etc. Eventually I splashed out on a Black widow gimble and have not looked back. Steady as a rock no creep you don't have to lock it no matter what angle you have it at.

At present I am using it with Leica 77 & Contax sl300 for digiscoping. Canon 20d + 400 F5.6 slr. These heads will take upto 500mm F4 lenses with no probs and I daresay it would take a 600mm F4.

Yes I know it's more expensive but it's a buy once and know there is nothing better out there.

Pete

firstly, thanks for the responses,

@ Kevin,

Don't you miss the steering handle for aiming your scope?
I would especially miss it when seawatching... but maybe you have a hint how you are handling your scope on a ballhead, maybe i only need to learn to handle my scope on -another than video head design- head..

@ pete, i also considered a gimbal, but then there is still the problem that i need to change heads when i want to shoot landscapes, macro, etc, etc..
i think that i am going to buy a markins or kirk ballhead together with the sidekick, thus having a great ballhead solution for macro and landscape work and a gimbal-type head for the long tele-work and telescope work...

I am currently using D70+ nikkor 80-400VR (and a whole lot of other glass)
and mostly for observation my swaro ats80hd and sometimes for the very long work a coolpix 4500 for digiscoping.

maybe there are more readers here using this kind of tripod-head gear combination and perhaps want to share their experiences?
That would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Martijn

If I want to use only one head for both digiscoping and my photographic equipment, I prefer a video head than a ballhead. I'm very happy with the Gitzo 2380 head.

Vogelaar.nl said:
firstly, thanks for the responses,

@ Kevin,

Don't you miss the steering handle for aiming your scope?
I would especially miss it when seawatching... but maybe you have a hint how you are handling your scope on a ballhead, maybe i only need to learn to handle my scope on -another than video head design- head..

@ pete, i also considered a gimbal, but then there is still the problem that i need to change heads when i want to shoot landscapes, macro, etc, etc..
i think that i am going to buy a markins or kirk ballhead together with the sidekick, thus having a great ballhead solution for macro and landscape work and a gimbal-type head for the long tele-work and telescope work...

I am currently using D70+ nikkor 80-400VR (and a whole lot of other glass)
and mostly for observation my swaro ats80hd and sometimes for the very long work a coolpix 4500 for digiscoping.

maybe there are more readers here using this kind of tripod-head gear combination and perhaps want to share their experiences?
That would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Martijn
I've never had a steering handle on a head I've owned. I just steer the scope. No problems. The gimbals sound intriguing, but I think they add alot of weight and bulk which I want to avoid. My tripod weighs enough, I want to save some weight without spending lots of money on a new one.

The Black Widow Gimble that I use weighs 2.65lbs. Changing from scope to camera takes about 30 secs with Q/R plates.

To be honest the carbon fibre tripod and head is so well balanced I don't really feel the weight.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back