• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Talon HD or Viper HD (1 Viewer)

Stud Duck

I'm looking to purchase a new set of 10x42mm binos and I'm leaning strongly towards Vortex Optics. The two models that fit my current budget are the Talon HD and the Viper HD.

The Talons are 2oz heavier, but offer a wider FOV; 348' versus 319' offered by the Vipers. Aside from the the obvious design differences, are there any differences in optical quality between the two?

The suggested MSRP for the Viper is $699 and the Talon is $539; why such a large price difference since the two use the same coating and glass?

I realize this will be a very subjective question, but how does the Talon and Viper HD models compare to the Zen ED3?

Any input you could provide me would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Bryce is indeed correct, the glass and coatings are not the same----Chinese and Japanese respectively as he said. If you are leaning toward the Talon, save some money and buy the Zen Ray ED3. If you are leaning toward the Viper, spend more and get the Razor.

Thanks Bryce, I was unaware the two binos were manufactured in different countries. I got my information from the Vortex web site and from optics4birding.com; I made the assumption they glass and coatings were the same. This explains the difference in price as well.

John, I appreciate the reply, your advice put things into perspective. I'm a previous ED3 owner and they were excellent binos, if the Viper is any better they would be a great buy. In your opinion is the Viper optically better in low light and clarity than the ED3?

Last edited:
The Vortex Razor and Viper are both great binoculars. Some folks like the extremely close focus of the Vipers a bit more as well as the lighter weight. I don't feel that the ED3 is in the same class as the Razor.

In your opinion is the Razor optically better in low light and clarity than the ED3?

I personally feel the Razor HD is an exceptional binocular, but the low light question isn't straight forward to answer. In bright conditions our eyes are at their sharpest, but this decreases with light level and may be only half as good or worse past sunset. Then there is really no need for high resolution optics in low light. I suspect the Razor HD has a small advantage over the Viper HD in light transmission, but when light levels can halve in a minute or two a few percent makes little practical difference. My personal pick out of the Razor HD range is the 10x50. It feels and weighs more like a 10x42, the apparent resolution was exceptional, and it has a 40% bigger exit pupil area for low light than the 10x42.

David

Last edited:
Hawken and Typo,

I mentioned the wrong bino in the second paragraph of my second post. The binos I'm considering is the Viper HD and the Talon, not the Razor. I apologize for the confusion. That being said, how does the Viper HD compare to the Zen ED3?

Last edited:
This is my own experience not speculation. Optically, the Viper HD might be very marginally better, but smaller FOV. Both the ED3 & Talon HD are excellent bins. Very well made. Don't look down upon Chinese bins nowadays. And, ZR & Vortex offer excellent after sale warranty.

The difference in price could be owing to higher labor cost in Japan. All 3 bins are good choice depends on personal liking.

Don't look down upon Chinese bins nowadays. And, ZR & Vortex offer excellent after sale warranty.

The difference in price could be owing to higher labor cost in Japan. All 3 bins are good choice depends on personal liking.

I think you are right. There have been problems with the quality control of chinese made binoculars but that's not a nature law. It's about how well production is controlled and if the employees receive the necessary education.
And the required technical equipment for the production can of course be placed in China as in any other country.

Last edited:
I'm looking to purchase a new set of 10x42mm binos and I'm leaning strongly towards Vortex Optics. The two models that fit my current budget are the Talon HD and the Viper HD.

The Talons are 2oz heavier, but offer a wider FOV; 348' versus 319' offered by the Vipers. Aside from the the obvious design differences, are there any differences in optical quality between the two?

The suggested MSRP for the Viper is $699 and the Talon is $539; why such a large price difference since the two use the same coating and glass?

I realize this will be a very subjective question, but how does the Talon and Viper HD models compare to the Zen ED3?

Any input you could provide me would be appreciated.

I have owned both the Vipers and Talons. My Talons were in 8x42 and my Vipers 15x50. Performance wise, I am much happier with the Vipers. Overall quality feel and appearance goes to the Talons.

Happy Viper owner, not heard good about Talons. Also heard of a slight yellow cast(?) to some eyes. I think they are or are being discontinued. The Viper seems high but its worth more than its cost some might say, but the Talons seemed overpriced to some.

I have both the 8 and 10x42 Viper and love both. I didn't like the feel of the Talon in my hands and the view from the Viper was much better.

32mm Talons have been discontinued (and certainly to me had a yellowish tinge) but I've never noticed it in the 42mm versions that are still current in the range.

As for sales trend, here in the UK the Viper HDs outsell the Talon HDs on a massive ratio.

The Vortex Viper HD is superior to the Talon, Vortex claims its 97%
as good as the top end Razor, at less than half the price.
I have one in 8x42HD and 8.5x50

Last edited:
Definitely go with the Viper HD despite the slightly higher cost. They are overall a better quality instrument than the Talon HD. If you run into some unexpected Xmas money though I'd consider upgrading to the 10 x 50 Razor HD. It is an awesome binocular!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back