• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair price? (1 Viewer)

Stud Duck

I have the opportunity to purchase a set of pristine Zeiss Victory 10x42 T* FL binoculars for $1100 shipped. The purchase includes the binos, neck strap, carry case, ocular and objective lens covers.

The binoculars will be used for hunting purposes, so dusk/dawn performance and the ability to observe wildlife in detail at extended distances is paramount.

Is this a fair price for the Zeiss or would my money be better spent on the Leica Trinovid currently on sale for $899.00?

The Zeiss FL will certainly be a step up from the now discontinued Trinovid. The FL was Zeiss's flagship model before the HT and SF debuted. It was, in my opinion, better than either the Leica Ultravid and the Swarovski EL (original) that it was designed to compete against at the time.

Thank you both for your guidance; I purchased the binos this morning.

I've very easy on my equipment, but the binos will be subjected to the rigors of hunting. How would you say the Zeiss' build quality compares to Swarovski and Leica?

Thank you both for your guidance; I purchased the binos this morning.

I've very easy on my equipment, but the binos will be subjected to the rigors of hunting. How would you say the Zeiss' build quality compares to Swarovski and Leica?

I've had the FL for about 5 years now and they went everywhere with me - trips abroad, field work, rain and snow and everything in between. Have probably put several thousand field hours on them in that time.

Still works and looks as new.

When I tried them some years ago I found the 10x FLs to have very ugly distortion (possibly astigmatism, I'm not an expert) around the edge of the field, quite unacceptable. So I hope you don't mind it, or it may have been improved since. (That would have been a pre-LT model)

I had a pair of FL 8x42s for 9 years and read complaints from some folks about astigmatism and other distortions in those too. Never noticed it myself and I still have a pair of FL 8x32 through which I have never noticed distortions either.

I am not saying that folks who see these distortions are making it up at all, but it shows that we all have different eye/brain combinations that determine whether an optical characteristic spoils the view or is just never noticed.

Lee

I had a pair of FL 8x42s for 9 years and read complaints from some folks about astigmatism and other distortions in those too. Never noticed it myself and I still have a pair of FL 8x32 through which I have never noticed distortions either.

I am not saying that folks who see these distortions are making it up at all, but it shows that we all have different eye/brain combinations that determine whether an optical characteristic spoils the view or is just never noticed.

Lee

I read somewhere that all the FLs have that distortion. It was probably designed into the binocular for all I know. My 7x42 has it and I never see it unless I choose to look for it, and it is at the very edge of the FOV.

Bob

I've had the FL for about 5 years now and they went everywhere with me - trips abroad, field work, rain and snow and everything in between. Have probably put several thousand field hours on them in that time.

Still works and looks as new.

Even though I will use them for hunting and big game observation, you probably put your binos through more abuse than I ever will.

Your experience makes me feel a lot better about the money I just spent.

That would be why I said "the 10x FLs". I didn't find this a disturbing problem in the 8x model either.

Hi,

it might well be that the FL series - like most modern binoculars btw. - have some pincushion distortion added. The question whether to add it or not is a design decision to combat the so called "rolling ball" effect seen by most people when panning sideways.

Most modern binoculars have some pincushion distortion added, although the amount varies. This should not be confused with astigmatism, which is another kind of distortion and not usually added on purpose in binoculars.

@Stud Duck: Have fun with your new bins - I'm sure they'll be great!

Regards,

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back