Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

IOC World Bird List v8.2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 21st June 2018, 19:12   #1
Peter Kovalik
Registered User
 
Peter Kovalik's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sp. Hrhov
Posts: 2,696
IOC World Bird List v8.2

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/:

NOTE (June 20, 2018): Transition to 8.2 underway. Thanks for your patience
Peter Kovalik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 06:50   #2
McMadd
and the continuing battle to take *****cilious britbirders to task...

 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampere
Posts: 2,341
It's up

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/ioc-lists/master-list-2/

but the link to Master list (v8.2, Excel file XLSX, 1.7Mb) seems to deliver V8.1 ?

Last edited by McMadd : Saturday 23rd June 2018 at 07:05.
McMadd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 07:59   #3
Mike Earp
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sanderstead
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMadd View Post
the link to Master list (v8.2, Excel file XLSX, 1.7Mb) seems to deliver V8.1 ?
The link is not updated but the new version is there: http://www.worldbirdnames.org/master_ioc_list_v8.2.xlsx
Mike Earp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 15:36   #4
Bismarck Honeyeater
Registered User
 
Bismarck Honeyeater's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Earp View Post
The link is not updated but the new version is there: http://www.worldbirdnames.org/master_ioc_list_v8.2.xlsx
I can't download this as an Excel spreadsheet only gobbldegook in .txt


Any idea of splits relevant to ABA area or WP? It looks like I get Iberian Grey Shrike and Mahgreb Magpie. What about the other previous members of Lanius Meridonalis, are they all still together?


I dare say all will be properly downloadable when the work in progress is complete
__________________
Cheers

BH
@birdingprof
Bismarck Honeyeater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 15:48   #5
gusasp
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck Honeyeater View Post
I can't download this as an Excel spreadsheet only gobbldegook in .txt


Any idea of splits relevant to ABA area or WP? It looks like I get Iberian Grey Shrike and Mahgreb Magpie. What about the other previous members of Lanius Meridonalis, are they all still together?


I dare say all will be properly downloadable when the work in progress is complete
All previous meridionalis subspecies except nominate moved to excubitor. They still (strangely) accept pallidirostris as a separate species though.
gusasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 16:20   #6
MJB
Registered User
 
MJB's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Holt
Posts: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusasp View Post
All previous meridionalis subspecies except nominate moved to excubitor. They still (strangely) accept pallidirostris as a separate species though.
My bet is that there are a number of taxa whose relationships not only require further evidence from multiple lines of (mostly) genetic research, but also whose breeding distributions are poorly known, as are the extent and location of sympatric and interbreeding zones.

One step at a time...
MJB
__________________
The fuzziness of all supposedly absolute taxonomic distinctions - Stephen Jay Gould (1977) "Ever Since Darwin: Reflections in Natural History".
Species and subspecies are but a convenient fiction - Kees van Deemter (2010), "In praise of vagueness". Biology is messy
MJB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 16:42   #7
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck Honeyeater View Post
I can't download this as an Excel spreadsheet only gobbldegook in .txt


Any idea of splits relevant to ABA area or WP? It looks like I get Iberian Grey Shrike and Mahgreb Magpie. What about the other previous members of Lanius Meridonalis, are they all still together?


I dare say all will be properly downloadable when the work in progress is complete
Download Scythebill and once you input your data and updates are installed, it incorporates all your armchair ticks automatically though I don't know when IOC 8.2 will be incorporated?

https://www.scythebill.com/

I really can't speak highly enough of this free programme.

Going back to the IOC, most of your questions will probably be answered by looking at the proposals which preempt any updates.

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/species-updates/

Or the diary here

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/update-diary/





A

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 23rd June 2018 at 19:31.
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 17:20   #8
Bismarck Honeyeater
Registered User
 
Bismarck Honeyeater's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Download Scythebill and once you input your data and updates are installed, it incorporates all your armchair ticks automatically though I don't know when IOC 8.2 will be incorporated?

https://www.scythebill.com/

I really can't speak highly enough of this free programme.

Going back to the IOC, most of your questions will probably be answered by looking at the proposals which preempt any updates.

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/species-updates/

Or the diary here

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/species-updates/





A
Thanks, that’s where I was getting my info. Just confused me, that if Iberian Grey Shrike stays as Meridonalis and is monotypic I was unsure what would become of the other previous subspecies of Meridonalis. If they are all transferred to Excubitor then I don’t get a tick (the most important thing of course) but it seems odd they are more closely related to Excubitor and don’t not Meridonalis!
__________________
Cheers

BH
@birdingprof
Bismarck Honeyeater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 17:23   #9
Bismarck Honeyeater
Registered User
 
Bismarck Honeyeater's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusasp View Post
All previous meridionalis subspecies except nominate moved to excubitor. They still (strangely) accept pallidirostris as a separate species though.
Strikes me as odd that Iberian is on its own.
Presumably this is based on genetics
__________________
Cheers

BH
@birdingprof
Bismarck Honeyeater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 18:53   #10
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire
Posts: 4,020
I can't see anything about Iberian Grey Shrike anywhere. How am I missing it?

Two magpie forms will be ticks though, maybe even three. And a seedeater.

And at the moment all the master lists seem to be unavailable, just a load of unintelligible rubbish on notepad.

Steve
Steve Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 19:01   #11
gusasp
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
I can't see anything about Iberian Grey Shrike anywhere. How am I missing it?

Two magpie forms will be ticks though, maybe even three. And a seedeater.

And at the moment all the master lists seem to be unavailable, just a load of unintelligible rubbish on notepad.

Steve
If you can’t read the Excel sheets, check out Taxonomy (and English Names) under Updates.
gusasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 19:30   #12
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
I can't see anything about Iberian Grey Shrike anywhere. How am I missing it?

Two magpie forms will be ticks though, maybe even three. And a seedeater.

And at the moment all the master lists seem to be unavailable, just a load of unintelligible rubbish on notepad.

Steve
June 16th

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/update-diary/



A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 10:43   #13
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire
Posts: 4,020
Thanks - they have clearly just missed it out of the list of changes.

What happens to Southern Grey Shrike? HBW/Birdlife split out Iberian and lump the rest back with Great Grey.

Steve

PS Now able to access the proper list. This shrike seems to be causing problems though - look at the notes for meridionalis where it says 'change English name to more appropriate Iberian Grey Magpie' !

Last edited by Steve Lister : Sunday 24th June 2018 at 11:24.
Steve Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 14:50   #14
Maffong
Registered User
 
Maffong's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 908
Quote:
June 16 Treat Lanius meridionalis as monotypic Iberian Grey Shrike
Sounds to me as if IOC is doing exactly the same

Last edited by Maffong : Sunday 24th June 2018 at 15:29.
Maffong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 16:17   #15
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffong View Post
Sounds to me as if IOC is doing exactly the same
That quote was from the IOC diary.
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 16:36   #16
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Thanks - they have clearly just missed it out of the list of changes.

What happens to Southern Grey Shrike? HBW/Birdlife split out Iberian and lump the rest back with Great Grey.

Steve

PS Now able to access the proper list. This shrike seems to be causing problems though - look at the notes for meridionalis where it says 'change English name to more appropriate Iberian Grey Magpie' !

Sorted



A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 16:56   #17
MJB
Registered User
 
MJB's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Holt
Posts: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Sorted

A
Elsewhere, IOC 8.2 also lists the re-sequencing of Phylloscopus (incorporating Asian Seicircus)...
MJB
__________________
The fuzziness of all supposedly absolute taxonomic distinctions - Stephen Jay Gould (1977) "Ever Since Darwin: Reflections in Natural History".
Species and subspecies are but a convenient fiction - Kees van Deemter (2010), "In praise of vagueness". Biology is messy
MJB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 17:32   #18
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Elsewhere, IOC 8.2 also lists the re-sequencing of Phylloscopus (incorporating Asian Seicircus)...
MJB
Can you clarify that for me MJB, all I do is pass them on to Frank Gill.

I can't see the document right now.


A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 19:19   #19
MJB
Registered User
 
MJB's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Holt
Posts: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Can you clarify that for me MJB, all I do is pass them on to Frank Gill. I can't see the document right now. A
Andy,
I was just taking the opportunity to lead on from your post another aspect of 8.2; just for everyone's information, it re-sequences the Phylloscopus warblers. I've no complaint with that - if I had, I'd have contacted FG meself! This revision follows Alström et al 2018.

sibilatrix
bonelli
orientalis
pulcher
maculipennis
humei
inornatus
subviridis
yunnanensis
chloronotus
forresti
kansuensis
proregulus
tytleri
armandii
schwarzi
griseolus
affinis
occisinensis
fuligiventer
fuscatus
neglectus
subaffinis
trochilus
sindianus
canariensis
collybita
ibericus
coronatus
ijimae
olivaceus
cebuensis
ruficapilla
umbrovirens
laetus
laurae
herberti
budongoensis
intermedius
poliogenys
burkii
tephrocephalus
whistleri
valentini
soror
omeiensis
nitidus
plumbeitarsus
trochiloides
emeiensis
magnirostris
borealoides
tenellipes
xanthodryas
examinandus
borealis
castaniceps
grammiceps
montis
calciatilis
ricketti
cantator
occipitalis
reguloides
claudiae
goodsoni
ogilviegranti
hainanus
intensior
xanthoschistos
trivirgatus
nigrorum
presbytes
makirensis
sarasinorum
amoenus
maforensis


Reference: Alström, P, FE Rheindt, R Zhang, M Zhao, J Wang, X Zhu, C Yin Gwee, Y Hao, J Ohlson, C Jia, DM Prawiradilaga, PGP Ericson, F Lei and U Olsson. 2018. Complete species-level phylogeny of the leaf warbler (Aves: Phylloscopidae) radiation, Mol. Phyl. &Evol. doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2018.03.031

MJB
__________________
The fuzziness of all supposedly absolute taxonomic distinctions - Stephen Jay Gould (1977) "Ever Since Darwin: Reflections in Natural History".
Species and subspecies are but a convenient fiction - Kees van Deemter (2010), "In praise of vagueness". Biology is messy
MJB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 19:25   #20
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,728
Sorry, thought you were highlighting an error.


A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 20:30   #21
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
 
Larry Sweetland's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bristol
Posts: 6,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Thanks - they have clearly just missed it out of the list of changes.
I think it might be deliberately missed out of the 'species updates' splits and lumps section, because there are no actual splits or lumps, ie there is not a new species as a result of splits, or a species lost due to it (all subspp) being entirely included within another, so it's passed under the radar. I'd have missed it if it hadn't come up on here!
Larry Sweetland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 25th June 2018, 19:15   #22
McMadd
and the continuing battle to take *****cilious britbirders to task...

 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampere
Posts: 2,341
I wish they'd sort out the duplication in the Comments column...many entries have repeated text several times...Ruffed Grouse is a good , random, example

"Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986."

or same information 6 times - some concatenation artefact?

Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.

Only negative I can find by the way (once all you listing authorities use English English spellings and hyphenate harmoniously
McMadd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 26th June 2018, 13:16   #23
Frank Gill
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMadd View Post
I wish they'd sort out the duplication in the Comments column...many entries have repeated text several times...Ruffed Grouse is a good , random, example

"Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986."

or same information 6 times - some concatenation artefact?

Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.
Includes affinis. AOU, 1957; Godfrey, 1986.

Only negative I can find by the way (once all you listing authorities use English English spellings and hyphenate harmoniously
My copy is clean in this regard; so possibly an issue on your computer?
Frank Gill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 26th June 2018, 13:59   #24
McMadd
and the continuing battle to take *****cilious britbirders to task...

 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampere
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gill View Post
My copy is clean in this regard; so possibly an issue on your computer?
Hi Frank

Hmm, I'm using OpenOffice (don't want to pollute the Mac with MS stuff :) )

Just tried it in the appalling Apple Number spreadsheet with same result

Well, if nobody else has the same issue I guess it's something to do with my settings but very odd all the same

cheers
Mark
McMadd is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 26th June 2018, 17:50   #25
Mike Earp
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sanderstead
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMadd View Post
Hi Frank

Hmm, I'm using OpenOffice (don't want to pollute the Mac with MS stuff :) )

Just tried it in the appalling Apple Number spreadsheet with same result

Well, if nobody else has the same issue I guess it's something to do with my settings but very odd all the same

cheers
Mark
Mark

It works fine for me using Excel and LibreOffice Calc but I get the same issue as you with OpenOffice Calc 4.1.5.

Mike
Mike Earp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IOC World Bird List v5.3 Richard Klim Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 1 Wednesday 22nd July 2015 14:45
IOC World Bird List v4.1 Richard Klim Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 33 Saturday 18th January 2014 08:53
IOC World Bird List v3.4 Richard Klim Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 3 Wednesday 3rd July 2013 09:55
IOC World Bird List V1.7 Richard Klim Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 110 Friday 16th October 2009 03:16
IOC World Bird List V2.0 Richard Klim Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 6 Saturday 24th January 2009 16:33

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21122599 seconds with 35 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12.