• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (26 Viewers)

Red Necked Phalarope

A couple of heavily cropped shots also.

Attachments

• Upton Nov 2015 Red Necked Phalarope - U. 012 (1024x684).jpg
    Upton Nov 2015 Red Necked Phalarope - U. 012 (1024x684).jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Upton Nov 2015 Red Necked Phalarope - U. 013 (1024x684).jpg
    Upton Nov 2015 Red Necked Phalarope - U. 013 (1024x684).jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 152
Red Necked Phalarope

Returned at 4.25pm to the Flashes and was still present at dusk.:t: per SMW

If anyone sees the bird early tomorrow could you please phone/text me or post on here or my twitter account. ASAPB :)
I can then contact the Trust and cancel the planned work party there...good luck a cracking bird:t:

Spent several hours at the moors from 7am-10:30am

Coot (190), Teal (30), Shoveler (25), Grey Lag (16), Canada (14), Egyptian (2), Pochard (2m+2f), Cetti (2), Gadwall (3m+2f), Cormorant (16), Curlew (13), Kestrel (1m + 1f), Sparrowhawk (1), Wigeon (1m), Long-tailed Tit (30+), Fieldfare (3), Redwing (40)

Egyptian Geese flew off at 7:15am towards flashes.

Afterwards went to flashes to discover that Red-Necked Phalarope was present and showing well

Attachments

• tmp_3691-2015-11-09_17.18.38-51947844.jpg
    tmp_3691-2015-11-09_17.18.38-51947844.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 97
  • tmp_3691-2015-11-09_17.17.52-2076742682.jpg
    tmp_3691-2015-11-09_17.17.52-2076742682.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 106
Today's Red-necked Phalarope is the:

- Tenth record for the reserve
- First autumn record for the reserve
- Latest ever in the WMBC region (beating one at Belvide on 1st November 1952

I believe that Upton is now the second most visited site in the WMBC region, only surpassed by Belvide (are you able to confirm Steve?)

Interestingly the most recent record in Britain was on the 22nd September when a juvenile concluded it's stay at Stretton Sugwas, Herefordshire - could it be the same bird that's been lingering in the region all this time??

Last edited:

I believe that Upton is now the second most visited site in the WMBC region, only surpassed by Belvide (are you able to confirm Steve?)

Interestingly the most recent record in Britain was on the 22nd September when a juvenile concluded it's stay at Stretton Sugwas, Herefordshire - could it be the same bird that's been lingering in the region all this time??

Link to video of the Red-necked Phalarope filmed this afternoon.
Regards to all Upton Warren birders

https://youtu.be/IRue1uZ8Gj0

Returned at 4.25pm to the Flashes and was still present at dusk.:t: per SMW

If anyone sees the bird early tomorrow could you please phone/text me or post on here or my twitter account. ASAPB :)
I can then contact the Trust and cancel the planned work party there...good luck a cracking bird:t:

Thanks to Steve for calling me back just as I was leaving around 4:25 as the bird flew back in, a few more seconds and I have been gone home!

please park in overflow car park. Permits for non members will be available in the hide..I will be on site all day so if anyone needs to find out about the bird ..text me john

Would like to thank you for yesterday John. You were an absolute legend. Going to great lengths to make sure everybody got to see the bird.
Thank you very much it means a lot and thanks.

Lovely little bird :) Shame it never came closer while I was there but pleased to of seen it. Meadow Pipet to added 2 new ticket in one day for me :)

Hi Phil,

I make it 10 records for Belvide too. Glad to hear you finally connected with the Crag Martin today.:t:

Cheers Steve

work party at Moors Today

Today 12 of the Lads carried out a couple of tasks.
Bob O, Bob P, Bob R, Dave H, Jim B, John C, Paul M, Peter E, Ray C, Roger, Terry W and Tony B. :t:
I had a day on car park and hide duty welcoming visitors coming for the phalarope.

1st was to repair the stock fence in the SW marsh. A large willow had fallen on it and this allowed the cattle to get into the stream. The fence was repaired and the tree pollarded.

2nd work started on the swampy bottom and secret garden areas. The willows have grown tall and enclosed the area along the inlet channel on the causeway.
The large fallen willows were coppiced and the brash piled up a a dead hedge along the causeway.

pic 1 before work in swampy bottom pic 2 after the work.
We will continue in this area next week as well as reed bed cutting in the car parkB :)

Attachments

• b4 wrk swampy bottom 10th Nov 15 DSCF1615.jpg
    b4 wrk swampy bottom 10th Nov 15 DSCF1615.jpg
    891.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 2. swampy bottom afta wrk. DSCF1801.jpg
    2. swampy bottom afta wrk. DSCF1801.jpg
    820.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Birding at the Moors today,

After the Phalarope had departed, I went to the Moors.
The Lads had finished the work and were gathered in the East hide. No cake so I had to bird8-P
The water had dropped 5 to 6 cm's since last Tuesday and we plan to take a bit more off so we can work on the reed beds.
Snipe Island was exposed a bit more but still no snipe on it, although there were a few on the promontory.
No great happenings today and with a temperature of 16 degrees not expecting too much.
Species count:
Little grebe 5, shoveler 35, teal 12, gadwall pr, pochard 4 (2 prs), tufted c17, coot 220, water rail 3 along east side. Egyptian geese 2, greylag 23, snipe 7, curlew 9, lapwing 2, kestrel, cettis w 3, siskin 2,

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back