• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Dove in Los Angles? (1 Viewer)

Hi Jane, I'm pretty new at this. I see lots of mourning doves, but the other day I saw an enormous (almost gull sized, but smaller head) gray bird, light colored beak but black at curved tip, right on the balcony. I live in Los Angeles, so I'm thinking it might be a sea bird. I just can't find a picture anywhere that it resembles. At first I thought it was the Mother of All Mourning Doves. Quite a mystery!

Many thanks! But this bird was entirely gray, no other markings except that strange half white half black beak with a curved tip. I'm saving up for a camera! So far, I've only seen it once.

kite?

Hi Jane, I'm pretty new at this. I see lots of mourning doves, but the other day I saw an enormous (almost gull sized, but smaller head) gray bird, light colored beak but black at curved tip, right on the balcony. I live in Los Angeles, so I'm thinking it might be a sea bird. I just can't find a picture anywhere that it resembles. At first I thought it was the Mother of All Mourning Doves. Quite a mystery!

What about a kite species? maybe white tailed.

This is close, but head and beak are too large. Today I had the thrill of seeing my first totally-new-to-me bird right outside the window. Vivid black and white head and body stripes, and lark-sized. I think it might be a black and white warbler, but I'm still hunting for the perfect picture. I've never felt so excited about seeing a bird before, though. This was the BEST!

With the toxic algae problem occuring from time to time (though out of season right now). Sea birds have been known to drop out of the sky and land somewhere odd.

Anyone noticing songbirds with tumors?

LA is very very far south for Fulmars on the west coast, especially this early. I'm going with the White-Tailed Kite possibility

http://www.petalumawetlandspark.org/Pictures/kite107ccr.jpg

Thanks for the splendid kite photos. If I had seen one, I just might have fainted! But now I have a more serious question...

I keep seeing the little guys--finches and sparrows--with growths or tumors around their ankles. At first I thought they might be ticks, but a young house finch died here the other day and I discovered that they were indeed tumors. This is truly sad and disconcerting, to say the least! I'm wondering if other birders are noticing this, or if Los Angeles is just becoming too toxic. :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back