Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Telescope/Birding Tripods

Old Sunday 6th January 2008, 21:34   #1
ghostrider

Telescope/Birding Tripods

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but are Telescope tripods just as suitable for photography? I have a reasonable tripod for my scope a Velbon Delta. Is it worth investing in one specifically for cameras? The only drawback i can see is i have to unscrew the mounting plate off the scope and onto the camera.
Old Monday 7th January 2008, 07:02   #2
hollis_f

Yup, it'll work just fine with the camera as long as you're not using a massively heavy lens. Rather than swapping the Quick-Release Plate why not get a second one and leave both attached all the time. If the Velbon Delta is the same as the one that In-Focus give away for free then it probably came with a PH-157Q head, which uses a QB-157 QRP - available from Warehouse Express for just over a tenner.

Photography Gear - Website

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th January 2008, 12:00   #3
RAH

Usually telescope tripod heads will not go "vertical" - i.e. pivot a camera to take a vertical picture. This is one of the main differences between a typical "3-way pan/tilt" head for photography (the 3rd way is pivoting to the vertical) and a standard "video" head usually used for scopes.
Old Monday 7th January 2008, 17:34   #4
Henry B

You should be able to get a spare plate.
Old Monday 7th January 2008, 21:31   #5
ghostrider

Thanks guys. I'm going to get a spare plate. It is the InFocus one which, fortunately, allows vertical tilt.
Old Tuesday 8th January 2008, 15:00   #6
SLRShooter
Nikon user - D300, D1X, 9 lens, SB-800, and many bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Sorry if this seems a dumb question but are Telescope tripods just as suitable for photography? I have a reasonable tripod for my scope a Velbon Delta. Is it worth investing in one specifically for cameras? The only drawback i can see is i have to unscrew the mounting plate off the scope and onto the camera.
It depends on the lens you plan to use. If you have a large 400 f.28 or 500/600 you will more than likely need a gimbal head such as the Wimberley. Those lens mounts are designed to mount the lens, not the camera body. This is because they are balanced by the weight of the lens/body and are easier to swing and tilt to follow the action.

If you are using something less than a 400mm, a normal ball head will probably suffice.

Either way, you need a steady tripod to take photographs. Don't go cheap because it won't work and you will just be frustrated and have spent money on a tripod you will just have to immediately replace.

Norm
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: