• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for 30d + 400 5.6? (1 Viewer)

RJL2005

With the shortage of light at the moment I need to get a decent tripod for the above kit. I have been using the cheap Velbon pod I got with a scope but the darned thing moves off centre when its locked.

Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks

Rhod

If weight isn't an issue then I'd say a Manfrotto 055 with a 128 rc2 head would be a good option. If you want to save weight (and spend more) then look at the mag fibre version. Or if you're feeling flash look at the new Swarovski carbon fibre legs, hey come in at ~£235 but are very light and very stable.

I use an original Manfrotto 055 for about 80% of my birding and photo work - ideally you need a sherpa to carry it any distance but boy is it stable, even in high winds.

Must admit that I use my 055/128 for both scope and DSLR. If wandering around with it then the carbon fibre version is much easier to carry.

With the shortage of light at the moment I need to get a decent tripod for the above kit. I have been using the cheap Velbon pod I got with a scope but the darned thing moves off centre when its locked.

Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks

Rhod

Another vote for the 055 (xxx) + 128RC2, very stable, sturdy and quite cheap ... newer 055 models do allow low level shooting, mine (055V) doesn't, due to the central column coming in the way
Cheers,
Max

I use a Manfrotto 055 ProB Tripod with 488RC2 ball head for this combo - works well but the pod is a bit heavy to carry long distances.

You could look at the Benro range (type it into Google to get the UK distributor Photopal). I've just bought a carbon fibre tripod from them and I can't believe how light and strong it is and very well made too.

I plumbed for the Manfrotto 055 plus the superb 222 ball head which is fantastic for flexibility and reaction to movement. With camera and lens attached it's still pretty easy to carry.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back