• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fieldguides and moth traps (1 Viewer)

Adam M

hi all,

as part of my volunteer work for the rspb (and partly due to my thirst for knowledge) i have to identify moths caught in the moth trap, although we have books on site i dont have one at home that i can read up on. so i was hoping someone on here could recommend a good fieldguide/ID guide to moths in the uk, the ones we use with the rspb are a bit old and big, plus the images have the wings pinned out, which the aren't in real life, so don't think i'll be buying a copy of them books.

i could also do with a fieldguide for caterpillars of both moths and butterflies, again recommendations are more than welcome.

on to my final question now, i would love to get some practice in IDing moths when not at the reserve so my own moth trap would be brilliant. does anyone have any plans or a link to a website that tells you how to build one?

thanks in advance

adam

Hi Adam,

The 'bible' for most mothers is Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Waring and Townsend. I can't recommend this book more, as it has loads of brilliant illustrations and really useful text on each species' best ID features.

This thread has loads of info on homemade moth traps:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=95708

There aren't any fieldguides just on caterpillars as far as I know, but this website might help:
http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/index.html

Good mothing

Sean

Last edited:
the caterpillar ID book looks a tad on the expensive side, might see which one they have on the reserve and ask where they got it from and for how much.

anyway, thanks for your help with the moth guides and trap building, i'll probably leave building one now until the new year, if i made it now i'd probably not catch much and forget about it come spring, but definately want one as its something i will need to learn, think coombes valley has recorded something like 550 moth and butterfly species.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back