Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Fat ball's in netting BAD!

Old Wednesday 22nd December 2010, 21:26   #1
wildlifelove
Hopefully Birding...

Fat ball's in netting BAD!

HI

Just wanted to say if you have fat balls in netting then in fact thats' putting every bird feeding of it in danger of death. The bad thing is some small birds like sparrows, robins ect can get there small feet stuck in the netting and basically hang them self to death What is not what you want to see! You can get feeders where you just put the fat balls in which is safer for any bird feeder on it!

I no sometimes you don't think about stuff like that so just wanted to shout it out here for new birders thinking of feeding there birds in the garden or where ever you want to!

Please take this in to mind if you have fat balls in netting!

Thanks
Old Wednesday 22nd December 2010, 23:14   #2
Zukn
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

A good point, I know they sell them like that for ease of use so people can just hook them onto a twig or feeding station but I'd bet if most of those people, who are just trying to help out, knew the possible effects they would be very upset.
Old Thursday 23rd December 2010, 15:40   #3
Shirley Roulston

I always tear the nets away and burn them. The fat ball I crumble onto the bird table or push it in to any feeder, I crumble it so the birds can eat it quickly as the weather is so freezing. I also put a bowl of water out every day and all sorts of birds land in the garden for the water. My hands were so cold the other day I smashed a few on the path with a hammer and the Blackbirds and Hedge Sparrows were there instantly prefering to feed on the ground.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 23rd December 2010, 17:52   #4
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

It should not be a problem for even small birds unless the netting is very fine and gets tangled as the fatball disappears.
The benefits brought by the easy installation of a netted fatball should not be simply discarded because some supplier is offering a dangerous enclosure. Much better to highlight the problem, as a call from the RSPB would certainly get any suppliers attention.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 23rd December 2010, 21:34   #5
wildlifelove
Hopefully Birding...

Crushed fat balls are loved by most birds! My homemade one's go down the best! much better then the shop made one's...Would make my own any day over shop made ones
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: