• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Niger feeders (1 Viewer)

Zonda

Zonda
Just like to say that the niger feeders sold at the RSPB outlets/shops, with the trough system of dispersion are useless in wet weather, and the small hole type of niger feeder is much more reliable. Rainwater collects in the quite open troughs and stops the flow of seeds to the birds. This is disturbing, as these trough type feeders are far more expensive than the hole delivery type.

Last edited:
Trough style niger feeders are only good if they are located under cover from rain. I think they are also more wasteful of seed because the birds can toss so much out with great ease. Go with tube feeders most of the time and clean them often!

Yep either get a grill or hole feeder or move it undercover/attach a brolly. Trust the Welsh to answer wet weather questions. The prob with the grill and hole nyjer feeders is it spills out a bit, right now I've got a mesh fat guard, for frying pans under my nijer feeders to collect the spills, considering getting some chains and attaching it to the bottom to the feeder. As it happens the local chaffinches are happy eating the seed off the mesh but the husks are piling up.

A lot of people have suggested locating trough style feeders under makeshift roof. This will help keep your niger seed dry, but unless the cover is substantial, I think your seed is still prone to getting wet when the wind is whipping. Maybe that's not a big deal to you and that's fine, but I still believe tube feeders designed for niger are more practical and less wasteful of seed. That said, putting something below whatever feeder you choose to catch any seed that falls is a great idea, especially if your bird feeding budget is limited.

I indeed had loads of seedlings growing under one of the feeders and was quite looking forwards to the plants but alas the frost killed the lot, I know they are a type of thistle but its ok in a wild flower garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back