Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Going mobile - battery + charger advice needed

Old Tuesday 8th November 2011, 12:17   #1
Adam M

Going mobile - battery + charger advice needed

Hello,

After two years of trapping in the garden and at a local reserve, I want to invest in portable actinic heath traps. This will be used on the local reserve, but away from the office, meaning I can sample a wider variety of habitats.

I was thinking about buying it all from here http://www.angleps.com/mothtraps.php but for two traps, 2 batteries and a charger, comes to just under 500. Any idea on how to bring the cost down a bit? Other than just buy one

Are there better batteries for the job from a different source? Or cheaper ones? I REALLY don't want to spill battery acid on the reserve, so this needs considering too. And they would need to run all night.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
Old Tuesday 8th November 2011, 20:10   #2
rob lee

Hi Adam, I know Jon at Angleps & would`nt want to do him out of business but if cost was a concern & your DIY skills are up to it you could build your own for c 90-100. I built the trap in the attached photo earlier in the year. It is a 40W tube & runs on either mains or 12V car battery with an inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5367-1.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	355713  
Old Wednesday 9th November 2011, 14:05   #3
Captain_of_Crunch
YVdpep_re64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob lee View Post
Hi Adam, I know Jon at Angleps & would`nt want to do him out of business but if cost was a concern & your DIY skills are up to it you could build your own for c 90-100. I built the trap in the attached photo earlier in the year. It is a 40W tube & runs on either mains or 12V car battery with an inverter.
That is a very interesting design. Would it be possible to power that trap from a Li Ion battery (12V - 14Ah)?
Old Wednesday 9th November 2011, 21:22   #4
rob lee

Could`nt tell you to be honest, but i would of thought that using an inverter any 12V power source would suffice, just a question of how long it would last perhaps.
Old Thursday 10th November 2011, 06:46   #5
Adam M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob lee View Post
My DIY skills are awful, as the skinner trap in my graden will support. But I know someone at the reserve who is pretty good at this kind of thing, so might run the DIY idea past him.

So for batteries, will any car battery and charger do the job? How long do they last, how many recharges do you get out of them and is there any chance of them leaking?

Adam
Old Thursday 10th November 2011, 19:05   #6
Ranunculus

Hi Adam
What i did was get a 12v motor cycle battery much lighter than a car battery and you will need an inverter to convert the DC to AC and get a motor cycle battery charger and your away...........I`m running a 40w duel and its lasting about 11 hours.

Steve
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: