Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

BX1 problem

Old Sunday 1st November 2015, 23:02   #1
Sawtelle

BX1 problem

Recently started bird watching, got a pair of the BX-1s. I noticed today they were out of focus after putting them down for a few minutes. The focus knob wants to "scroll" clockwise (when in position to look through them) for some reason. It's as if something is compressed inside them (anti fog gas?) and it's pushing the tubes to lengthen them. The knob moves on it's own. Sorry for my terrible description - I'm a newbie : )
What do you folks think? This can't be normal. Seller (ebay) does not list a return policy, but does have great feedback. After having a nice pair for a few days, I would miss them if I send them back, but this seems like a significant problem.

Last edited by Sawtelle : Monday 2nd November 2015 at 12:50.
Old Monday 2nd November 2015, 19:09   #2
Sawtelle

Called Leupold, left a message. Spoke to the vendor, he will replace them, so that's very cool. I am curious what the problem is, maybe Leupold will know when they call back.
Old Tuesday 3rd November 2015, 15:31   #3
henry link

I'm guessing that the air pressure inside the binocular must still about the same as the place where it was sealed, which must have been a lower elevation than your location. The eyepiece tubes lengthen spontaneously in an effort to increase the internal volume and equalize the pressure.
Old Tuesday 3rd November 2015, 15:44   #4
David in NC

I'm going to have to disagree with henry link in this case. He's usually a top expert but I humbly think he missed it on this one.

Your binocs are clearly haunted.

Last edited by David in NC : Tuesday 3rd November 2015 at 17:17.
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 10:57   #5
perseid28

Is this the BX-1 Yosemite or the BX-1 McKenzie?
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 14:31   #6
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseid28 View Post
Is this the BX-1 Yosemite or the BX-1 McKenzie?
For information only; there are 3 BX-1 binoculars shown on Leupold's web site. The Yosemite is a Porro prism. The McKenzie is a Roof prism and the Rogue is a Reverse Porro prism.

https://www.leupold.com/observation/binoculars/

Which one are we discussing here?

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 4th November 2015 at 14:34.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 16:02   #7
Sawtelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
I'm guessing that the air pressure inside the binocular must still about the same as the place where it was sealed, which must have been a lower elevation than your location. The eyepiece tubes lengthen spontaneously in an effort to increase the internal volume and equalize the pressure.
Yeah, that's the theory I'm currently endorsing : ) Wish Leupold called me back, would love to hear their take on it. I am at over 1 mile in elevation, so there's that. However lots of binos go to much higher elevation without this problem. My replacements should be here tomorrow, hope they don't do this. I grab them quite often, it's a pain to have to re-focus every time.

Last edited by Sawtelle : Wednesday 4th November 2015 at 16:04.
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 16:03   #8
Sawtelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
For information only; there are 3 BX-1 binoculars shown on Leupold's web site. The Yosemite is a Porro prism. The McKenzie is a Roof prism and the Rogue is a Reverse Porro prism.

https://www.leupold.com/observation/binoculars/

Which one are we discussing here?

Bob
These are the BX-1 Yosemite, Porro prism binos.
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 16:36   #9
henry link

If an imbalance in air pressure is the cause you might consider it a good sign, rather than a bad one. It means the binoculars are truly sealed and the focuser friction is pretty low. If the seals fail the "problem" will go away.
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 19:52   #10
NDhunter

The Leupold Yosemite, does say it is waterproof on some sites, and they
state they have Nitrogen purging.
I don't believe that to be true.

The ocular tubes slide in and out like many porro binoculars do.
They do have seals, that you can feel when focusing in and out.
I believe that is the extent of the waterproofing.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0949.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	563604  
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 21:23   #11
Sawtelle

Quote:
If an imbalance in air pressure is the cause you might consider it a good sign, rather than a bad one. It means the binoculars are truly sealed and the focuser friction is pretty low. If the seals fail the "problem" will go away.
I can dig it. Remember, I am a total noob Others have mentioned the focuser being stiff on these, mine are quite smooth. So, this isn't considered a problem - needing to re-focus every time one picks them up? Other high quality binos do this too?
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 22:21   #12
perseid28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtelle View Post
I can dig it. Remember, I am a total noob Others have mentioned the focuser being stiff on these, mine are quite smooth. So, this isn't considered a problem - needing to re-focus every time one picks them up? Other high quality binos do this too?
Focuser stiffness is largely a matter of taste; a stiffer focuser (but still with smoothness) will help to achieve accurate focus, while a less stiff focuser makes it easier to quickly change the focus. My experience is mostly with Nikon and Zeiss binoculars, and I have found that Nikon focusers tend to be stiffer than Zeiss.

However, I think most birders would be annoyed with a focuser that moves without being asked. I'm very interested to hear what the cause turns out to be. I don't think the Yosemites have enough of a seal to somehow contain high pressure air, since their focusing mechanism involves moving external parts on the binocular. And on top of that, you reported a loose focusing action, so I can't imagine that the binoculars are sealed well enough to hold in high pressure air. But this is speculation and only taking the binocular apart would confirm the cause.

Last edited by perseid28 : Thursday 5th November 2015 at 02:08.
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 23:14   #13
perterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
The Leupold Yosemite, does say it is waterproof on some sites, and they
state they have Nitrogen purging.
I don't believe that to be true.

The ocular tubes slide in and out like many porro binoculars do.
They do have seals, that you can feel when focusing in and out.
I believe that is the extent of the waterproofing.

Jerry
Mine are waterproof, whether they are N2 purged I dont know, but in numerous nights left sitting on the table on the deck in heavy dew and rain they have never fogged.
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 00:52   #14
David in NC

You folks are missing the only logical conclusion. Haunted I tell you.
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 14:25   #15
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Recently started bird watching, got a pair of the BX-1s. I noticed today they were out of focus after putting them down for a few minutes. The focus knob wants to "scroll" clockwise (when in position to look through them) for some reason. It's as if something is compressed inside them (anti fog gas?) and it's pushing the tubes to lengthen them. The knob moves on it's own.
Sawtelle,

Welcome to BF!

I purchased several of the BX-1 Yosemite 8x30's (Christmas presents) and while testing each pair, didn't notice any "haunted" movements. Just spoke to Leupold tech services who verified their Yosemite Porros are purged with Nitrogen to around one atmosphere to maintain their weather\fog proofing. Since I'm at sea level, not had any scrupulous focus issues and a tack-sharp 100yd focus stays there over night!

Good luck with the replacement!

Ted

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 14:53   #16
Sawtelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Sawtelle,

Welcome to BF!

I purchased several of the BX-1 Yosemite 8x30's (Christmas presents) and while testing each pair, didn't notice any "haunted" movements. Just spoke to Leupold tech services who verified their Yosemite Porros are purged with Nitrogen to around one atmosphere to maintain their weather\fog proofing. Since I'm at sea level, not had any scrupulous focus issues and a tack-sharp 100yd focus stays there over night!

Good luck with the replacement!

Ted
When I called them, I was "90th" in line : ( Left a message, never heard anything. I just emailed their support today. I would like to know what they think about this.

EDIT: got a hold of them this morning, rep. said they might have been overfilled (he confirmed they are filled with a "proprietary" inert gas).

Last edited by Sawtelle : Thursday 5th November 2015 at 15:13.
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 15:11   #17
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
When I called them, I was "90th" in line : ( Left a message, never heard anything. I just emailed their support today. I would like to know what they think about this.
Yep...yesterday was 50th in line at a pacific time of 3pm. I called this morning at 7am (pacific time & tech service hours) and was 2nd in line, with a tech responding 30 seconds later!

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 18:50   #18
Steve C

Leupold is kind of like the DMV in some ways. The earlier you get there, the less time you are there. Leupold service calls line up pretty fast. Call early. I don't know if the service call volume is a good thing or a bad thing.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 21:17   #19
perterra

Quote:

EDIT: got a hold of them this morning, rep. said they might have been overfilled (he confirmed they are filled with a "proprietary" inert gas).

Their proprietary gas is probably 78% N2
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 23:03   #20
Sawtelle

New ones showed up today, I have to forget the habit of turning the focus knob before they get to my eyes! The first ones didn't have the problem immediately (seems like the knob "loosened up" a bit after a day or two), but this pair seems good so far.
Old Friday 6th November 2015, 03:25   #21
perseid28

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Their proprietary gas is probably 78% N2
Sounds better that way
Old Sunday 20th March 2016, 18:13   #22
OPTIC_NUT

Quote:
In my case, that happened. It sort of combined with the stiction problem
I was havving, for these little 'thunks', jumps in focus. A tiny .030 hole eased
the pressure. The stiction was still an issue, just not as bad.

Others' mileage may vary....nothing is perfect and the same.
It isn't like they all have it or none have it. It's rare.
Old Sunday 20th March 2016, 20:58   #23
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Recently started bird watching, got a pair of the BX-1s. I noticed today they were out of focus after putting them down for a few minutes. The focus knob wants to "scroll" clockwise (when in position to look through them) for some reason. It's as if something is compressed inside them (anti fog gas?) and it's pushing the tubes to lengthen them. The knob moves on it's own. .....
I just came across a review on Amazon.com where somebody reported the same for a Kowa 8x30 of similar build. So, "haunted" freaks are not a singular Leupold problem.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 20th March 2016, 21:05   #24
perterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
I just came across a review on Amazon.com where somebody reported the same for a Kowa 8x30 of similar build. So, "haunted" freaks are not a singular Leupold problem.
They are probably made by the same company
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: