Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

BX1 problem

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 1st November 2015, 23:02   #1
Sawtelle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SW Desert
Posts: 7
BX1 problem

Recently started bird watching, got a pair of the BX-1s. I noticed today they were out of focus after putting them down for a few minutes. The focus knob wants to "scroll" clockwise (when in position to look through them) for some reason. It's as if something is compressed inside them (anti fog gas?) and it's pushing the tubes to lengthen them. The knob moves on it's own. Sorry for my terrible description - I'm a newbie : )
What do you folks think? This can't be normal. Seller (ebay) does not list a return policy, but does have great feedback. After having a nice pair for a few days, I would miss them if I send them back, but this seems like a significant problem.

Last edited by Sawtelle : Monday 2nd November 2015 at 12:50.
Sawtelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd November 2015, 19:09   #2
Sawtelle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SW Desert
Posts: 7
Called Leupold, left a message. Spoke to the vendor, he will replace them, so that's very cool. I am curious what the problem is, maybe Leupold will know when they call back.
Sawtelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 3rd November 2015, 15:31   #3
henry link
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: north carolina
Posts: 4,382
I'm guessing that the air pressure inside the binocular must still about the same as the place where it was sealed, which must have been a lower elevation than your location. The eyepiece tubes lengthen spontaneously in an effort to increase the internal volume and equalize the pressure.
henry link is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 3rd November 2015, 15:44   #4
David in NC
Registered User
 
David in NC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jonas Ridge, NC USA
Posts: 753
I'm going to have to disagree with henry link in this case. He's usually a top expert but I humbly think he missed it on this one.

Your binocs are clearly haunted.

Last edited by David in NC : Tuesday 3rd November 2015 at 17:17.
David in NC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 10:57   #5
perseid28
Registered User
 
perseid28's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 113
Is this the BX-1 Yosemite or the BX-1 McKenzie?
__________________
Mark
perseid28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 14:31   #6
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by perseid28 View Post
Is this the BX-1 Yosemite or the BX-1 McKenzie?
For information only; there are 3 BX-1 binoculars shown on Leupold's web site. The Yosemite is a Porro prism. The McKenzie is a Roof prism and the Rogue is a Reverse Porro prism.

https://www.leupold.com/observation/binoculars/

Which one are we discussing here?

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 4th November 2015 at 14:34.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 16:02   #7
Sawtelle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SW Desert
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
I'm guessing that the air pressure inside the binocular must still about the same as the place where it was sealed, which must have been a lower elevation than your location. The eyepiece tubes lengthen spontaneously in an effort to increase the internal volume and equalize the pressure.
Yeah, that's the theory I'm currently endorsing : ) Wish Leupold called me back, would love to hear their take on it. I am at over 1 mile in elevation, so there's that. However lots of binos go to much higher elevation without this problem. My replacements should be here tomorrow, hope they don't do this. I grab them quite often, it's a pain to have to re-focus every time.

Last edited by Sawtelle : Wednesday 4th November 2015 at 16:04.
Sawtelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 16:03   #8
Sawtelle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SW Desert
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
For information only; there are 3 BX-1 binoculars shown on Leupold's web site. The Yosemite is a Porro prism. The McKenzie is a Roof prism and the Rogue is a Reverse Porro prism.

https://www.leupold.com/observation/binoculars/

Which one are we discussing here?

Bob
These are the BX-1 Yosemite, Porro prism binos.
Sawtelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 16:36   #9
henry link
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: north carolina
Posts: 4,382
If an imbalance in air pressure is the cause you might consider it a good sign, rather than a bad one. It means the binoculars are truly sealed and the focuser friction is pretty low. If the seals fail the "problem" will go away.
henry link is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 19:52   #10
NDhunter
Registered User
 
NDhunter's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ND
Posts: 4,061
The Leupold Yosemite, does say it is waterproof on some sites, and they
state they have Nitrogen purging.
I don't believe that to be true.

The ocular tubes slide in and out like many porro binoculars do.
They do have seals, that you can feel when focusing in and out.
I believe that is the extent of the waterproofing.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0949.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	563604  
NDhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 21:23   #11
Sawtelle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SW Desert
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
If an imbalance in air pressure is the cause you might consider it a good sign, rather than a bad one. It means the binoculars are truly sealed and the focuser friction is pretty low. If the seals fail the "problem" will go away.
I can dig it. Remember, I am a total noob Others have mentioned the focuser being stiff on these, mine are quite smooth. So, this isn't considered a problem - needing to re-focus every time one picks them up? Other high quality binos do this too?
Sawtelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 22:21   #12
perseid28
Registered User
 
perseid28's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtelle View Post
I can dig it. Remember, I am a total noob Others have mentioned the focuser being stiff on these, mine are quite smooth. So, this isn't considered a problem - needing to re-focus every time one picks them up? Other high quality binos do this too?
Focuser stiffness is largely a matter of taste; a stiffer focuser (but still with smoothness) will help to achieve accurate focus, while a less stiff focuser makes it easier to quickly change the focus. My experience is mostly with Nikon and Zeiss binoculars, and I have found that Nikon focusers tend to be stiffer than Zeiss.

However, I think most birders would be annoyed with a focuser that moves without being asked. I'm very interested to hear what the cause turns out to be. I don't think the Yosemites have enough of a seal to somehow contain high pressure air, since their focusing mechanism involves moving external parts on the binocular. And on top of that, you reported a loose focusing action, so I can't imagine that the binoculars are sealed well enough to hold in high pressure air. But this is speculation and only taking the binocular apart would confirm the cause.
__________________
Mark

Last edited by perseid28 : Thursday 5th November 2015 at 02:08.
perseid28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th November 2015, 23:14   #13
perterra
Registered User
 
perterra's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tx
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
The Leupold Yosemite, does say it is waterproof on some sites, and they
state they have Nitrogen purging.
I don't believe that to be true.

The ocular tubes slide in and out like many porro binoculars do.
They do have seals, that you can feel when focusing in and out.
I believe that is the extent of the waterproofing.

Jerry
Mine are waterproof, whether they are N2 purged I dont know, but in numerous nights left sitting on the table on the deck in heavy dew and rain they have never fogged.
__________________
"Chan eil aoibhneas gun Chlann Dhomhnaill"
perterra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 00:52   #14
David in NC
Registered User
 
David in NC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jonas Ridge, NC USA
Posts: 753
You folks are missing the only logical conclusion. Haunted I tell you.
David in NC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 14:25   #15
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtelle View Post
Recently started bird watching, got a pair of the BX-1s. I noticed today they were out of focus after putting them down for a few minutes. The focus knob wants to "scroll" clockwise (when in position to look through them) for some reason. It's as if something is compressed inside them (anti fog gas?) and it's pushing the tubes to lengthen them. The knob moves on it's own.
Sawtelle,

Welcome to BF!

I purchased several of the BX-1 Yosemite 8x30's (Christmas presents) and while testing each pair, didn't notice any "haunted" movements. Just spoke to Leupold tech services who verified their Yosemite Porros are purged with Nitrogen to around one atmosphere to maintain their weather\fog proofing. Since I'm at sea level, not had any scrupulous focus issues and a tack-sharp 100yd focus stays there over night!

Good luck with the replacement!

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 14:53   #16
Sawtelle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SW Desert
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Sawtelle,

Welcome to BF!

I purchased several of the BX-1 Yosemite 8x30's (Christmas presents) and while testing each pair, didn't notice any "haunted" movements. Just spoke to Leupold tech services who verified their Yosemite Porros are purged with Nitrogen to around one atmosphere to maintain their weather\fog proofing. Since I'm at sea level, not had any scrupulous focus issues and a tack-sharp 100yd focus stays there over night!

Good luck with the replacement!

Ted
When I called them, I was "90th" in line : ( Left a message, never heard anything. I just emailed their support today. I would like to know what they think about this.

EDIT: got a hold of them this morning, rep. said they might have been overfilled (he confirmed they are filled with a "proprietary" inert gas).

Last edited by Sawtelle : Thursday 5th November 2015 at 15:13.
Sawtelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 15:11   #17
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtelle View Post
When I called them, I was "90th" in line : ( Left a message, never heard anything. I just emailed their support today. I would like to know what they think about this.
Yep...yesterday was 50th in line at a pacific time of 3pm. I called this morning at 7am (pacific time & tech service hours) and was 2nd in line, with a tech responding 30 seconds later!
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 18:50   #18
Steve C
Registered User
 
Steve C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Posts: 3,568
Leupold is kind of like the DMV in some ways. The earlier you get there, the less time you are there. Leupold service calls line up pretty fast. Call early. I don't know if the service call volume is a good thing or a bad thing.
__________________
Steve

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.
Steve C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 21:17   #19
perterra
Registered User
 
perterra's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tx
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtelle View Post
When I called them, I was "90th" in line : ( Left a message, never heard anything. I just emailed their support today. I would like to know what they think about this.

EDIT: got a hold of them this morning, rep. said they might have been overfilled (he confirmed they are filled with a "proprietary" inert gas).

Their proprietary gas is probably 78% N2
__________________
"Chan eil aoibhneas gun Chlann Dhomhnaill"
perterra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 23:03   #20
Sawtelle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SW Desert
Posts: 7
New ones showed up today, I have to forget the habit of turning the focus knob before they get to my eyes! The first ones didn't have the problem immediately (seems like the knob "loosened up" a bit after a day or two), but this pair seems good so far.
Sawtelle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 6th November 2015, 03:25   #21
perseid28
Registered User
 
perseid28's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Their proprietary gas is probably 78% N2
Sounds better that way
__________________
Mark
perseid28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 20th March 2016, 18:13   #22
OPTIC_NUT
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wilmington Mass
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
I'm guessing that the air pressure inside the binocular must still about the same as the place where it was sealed, which must have been a lower elevation than your location. The eyepiece tubes lengthen spontaneously in an effort to increase the internal volume and equalize the pressure.
In my case, that happened. It sort of combined with the stiction problem
I was havving, for these little 'thunks', jumps in focus. A tiny .030 hole eased
the pressure. The stiction was still an issue, just not as bad.

Others' mileage may vary....nothing is perfect and the same.
It isn't like they all have it or none have it. It's rare.
OPTIC_NUT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 20th March 2016, 20:58   #23
Swissboy
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
Swissboy's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sempach, Switzerland
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtelle View Post
Recently started bird watching, got a pair of the BX-1s. I noticed today they were out of focus after putting them down for a few minutes. The focus knob wants to "scroll" clockwise (when in position to look through them) for some reason. It's as if something is compressed inside them (anti fog gas?) and it's pushing the tubes to lengthen them. The knob moves on it's own. .....
I just came across a review on Amazon.com where somebody reported the same for a Kowa 8x30 of similar build. So, "haunted" freaks are not a singular Leupold problem.
__________________
Robert
--PS: That's a Sooty Falcon on the avatar, photo taken near Sharm el Sheik, Egypt. My highest priority raptor at the time.
What's your species on the avatar? I often have no clue
!
Swissboy is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 20th March 2016, 21:05   #24
perterra
Registered User
 
perterra's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tx
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
I just came across a review on Amazon.com where somebody reported the same for a Kowa 8x30 of similar build. So, "haunted" freaks are not a singular Leupold problem.
They are probably made by the same company
__________________
"Chan eil aoibhneas gun Chlann Dhomhnaill"
perterra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with 823 davidg Kowa 11 Wednesday 10th September 2014 19:37
D90 and ML-L3 problem Feathered one Nikon 4 Saturday 1st November 2008 18:43
USB problem hari ari Computers, Birding Software And The Internet 0 Sunday 2nd September 2007 09:45
IE6 Problem Stewart J. Computers, Birding Software And The Internet 3 Friday 8th April 2005 20:56

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.34560800 seconds with 39 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:42.