Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How to carry binoculars?

Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 17:01   #1
November

How to carry binoculars?

Hi erveryone,

I cannot make friends with most of the bino carrying straps.
I wonder what you are using when beeing out on an observation trip to carry your binos.

Do you use the carrying strap provided with the binos or do you have a different solution and if so, what is it?

Furthermore some manufacturers of optics supply a bino case in the scope of delivery. Do you use this case or not?

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with a birding beginner. :)

Best regards,
November
Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 18:12   #2
Canip

I am out on a 1-1.5 hour walk in the fields and woods every day (weekends 2hours) and always carry my binoculars (usually 7x42 or 8x42, occasionally larger) on the neck strap.
For me the most natural, efficient way to carry binoculars.
I have tried all sorts of other devices, such as cross straps etc., but always came back to the neck strap.
Not all binoculars come with a comfortable strap, so I occasionally use third party products (e.g. from Niggeloh).

Canip
Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 18:23   #3
jring

Hi,

strap user here too - never tried anything else and am usually fine with the supplied ones - but I tend to use lighter pairs and care more about how I carry my scope...

As for cases - when out birding, certainly not, neither any lens covers just a rainguard for the eyepieces, either supplied or 3rd party if the supplied ones is not so great.
Might use the case before I put the bins into my backback or so - depends on what pair I use... a pair of roofs with a good armour, rainguard and integral lenscovers on will go in as is, a nice porro will probably get the case...

Joachim
Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 21:43   #4
OhWeh

No cases, only neck strap.

For my light 8x32 FL the original Zeiss strap.
For my heavy 20x60S (and my cameras) a more comfortable neck strap from https://www.eddycam.com/en/shop/equipment/
Old Monday 3rd June 2019, 22:07   #5
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
I cannot make friends with most of the bino carrying straps.
You don't say why you can't make friends.

I can't be friends with most neck straps but I do use them. I'm one of the odd people who doesn't like neoprene straps for their tendency to be quite hot, bulky, not breathable, and chafe my skin. With one exception. The small, rolled edge strap that came with my Zeiss Victory 8x25s is pretty good. Too much strap for the little Zeiss, I use the strap on my 8x42 Monarch HGs and is pretty ideal for that IMO.

I made a hybrid strap of 1.5mm nylon cord and leather for the Zeiss 8x25s and use the Leica supplied strap for my 8x32 Trinovid BNs. Leica got this strap right. It is unobtrusive and but 10mm wide except for the area behind the neck which widens to about 20mm and is rubber.

All my larger binoculars have no straps. I hand hold them or they're carried on a tripod. Other smaller binoculars have a wrist tether attached to be secured to one's hand while carrying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8x32 1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	696937  Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeiss with Strap.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	745.1 KB
ID:	696938  Click image for larger version

Name:	Nikon Strap.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	696939  

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Monday 3rd June 2019 at 22:09.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: