Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Advise for spotting scope

Old Friday 19th July 2019, 07:31   #1
oldtown

Advise for spotting scope

Hello, I am looking for my 1st spotting scope. Was interested with Nikon monarch 82ed(received good reviews) and kowa 773. Appreciate if members can share experiences on the 2 scopes . Would to know the optical quality at 40x and above. Thanks U.
Old Friday 19th July 2019, 07:44   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Hi Oldtown and welcome to BirdForum. Here’s a link to Bob’s review of the Nikon.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=377440

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 19th July 2019, 12:40   #3
slingworks

Sounds like 2 good scopes to choose from.

My younger brother has an issue 770 series Kowa and I've used it a fair bit. Personally I like it quite well.

I think maybe it just depends on what your end use is?

The Nikon is pretty good as well. I think the Kowa is better most ways around.

There are quite a few experts around that know a great deal more than I ever will...I just know what I've used and like so far. But I'd have to say the best scope I've used to date is the Kowa TSN-823. It's out of production now but I really think it's superior to the new Prominars sold today. I'd even bet a dollar to a doughnut they out-resolve the new Prominars slightly and are great if you have other uses like reading mirage, etc.
Old Friday 19th July 2019, 19:17   #4
mooreorless

I'm still looking for Bob's review of the Nikon spotter. Sorry Clark I could not help myself. It was nice of you to post link!

Last edited by mooreorless : Saturday 20th July 2019 at 17:26.
Old Thursday 25th July 2019, 09:37   #5
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

The Monarch would appear to be the scope bargain at the moment but here in the UK it is impossible to try it out next to other scopes due to the few places that sell it and the fact that I know no birders who have one. Birders in the UK do like to spend vast amounts of money for the perceived top brands. I'd imagine you'll have a similar problem.

@SteveBabbs
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: