• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need to buy our first pair of binoculars.... (1 Viewer)

lmhall2000

We're officially hooked...new to birding fun and we're ready to take it a step further..started out just by identifying birds at our feeder but then there is always that shy bird resting in our neighbors tree that we get so curious about. Today, returning home my 10 year old was so excited to see a red-headed bird with bright white and black...we used your galleries and confirmed it was a red-headed woodpecker...such a beauty! But we know there are whipporwills and bobwhites around here and would like to have a good pair of binoculars that will be kid friendly. My only experience with binoculars was my Dad's pair from over 30 years ago...they were heavy heavy heavy and not very comfortable to tote around.

I'd like to spend under $150 for a good pair...can any of you spot me in the right direction? We're really only looking at close distances...no more than 50-100 feet at this point. Thanks for your help!!

Tara

I say go to a binocular dealer and try out several pair of binoculars. In the lower price range you are talking about you may be better off sticking with porros. If you find a pair you like then see if the shop owner will give you a price comparison on the internet and will come close to matching the lowest price. Also chances are you may have to dish out a little more than $150.

Goto www.eagleoptics.com , you'll find a wide choice at some of the best prices on the web. I suggest you plan on spending a bit more, I think you'll want 8x32 or 43 and keep an eye on the weight for the child (if they can't hold them steady, they won't use them), may I suggest less than 22 oz. or so. I have no connection with Eagle Optics other than a happy and satisfied customer.

Jaeger near Chicago

I'll second Jaegers recommendations.

For small hands a 32 or 36mm roof prism is probably best. Eagle Optics has a 7x32 mm Denali model for $89.

Personally I would prefer the Bushnell 8x32 Legend. Its $239, but is a nice performing and rugged bin.

There is also a Bushnell Natureview 8x30 for $84 and the Nikon Sporter 8x36 for $129. A lot of people here like the Sporter, for its price, but I don't care for it. They eyecups seem awfully flimsy, the focus stiff, and the armor easy to damage.

If I thought the kiddo using this bin would be using it as a toy I would stay under $100. If the bin use was under adult supervision, or if I thought the child was responsible, I'd prefer the $239 Legends.

Keep in mind that shipping runs $10 or so.

welcome to the 'club' imhall2000,i suggest you take a look at some porroprism binoculars [those old looking types]as apposed to the more expensive roof prisms.my first pair were bushnell nature view plus 8,42 which in the uk retails at about £139.00[maybe less than 100 dollars?].also swift make very nice porroprism bins but a little more expensive,very popular in the states.which ever you choose i hope you enjoy birding and nature watching as much as all of us.matt

i have a pair of bushnells,my first Binoculars,and they are 7-15mm.I think mabye you would want a better pair,but you could give Bushnell a try.

My advice would be, take yourself off to your local shop and try some of the cheaper ones out until you find some you like and buy them and go birding, meanwhile get saving, while you are out and about with the cheap bins you will find out what sort of person you are are, perhaps like me you are happy to trade a bit of field of view for power or maybe the other way round, the point is you will learn what to look for when you get to spend some real money on bins. If it turns out birding isn't for you, you won't have wasted much or, if it takes a grip on you and you buy some much better bins the old cheapies will come in handy as window sill bins or maybe for keeping in the glove box, hope this helps.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back