• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 055MF3 & 701RC-2 head (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
Anyone using this combination ?
My aged Velbon is now not quite up to the job and I was thinking of replacing with this setup ....Manfrotto 055MF3 & 701RC-2 head, to use with Canon 40D & 350D +Tamron 200-500mm lens adding occasionally, a Kenko 2X teleplus pro 300.
I am not sure but:
1] Do all Manfrotto heads fit all their range of tripods
2] would this setup be up to the job
3] Would a ball head or similar be a better option

Thanks in advance for any help and advice, I have in the past only used cheapo tripods which move about near the head too much, so am completely dumb as to what would be the best.

Cheers ColD

I am not sure but:
1] Do all Manfrotto heads fit all their range of tripods
2] would this setup be up to the job
3] Would a ball head or similar be a better option

1. Manfrotto heads and legs are interchangeable, you'll have no problems fitting a 701 to 055 legs.
2. yes this set up will confortably hold your gear. Personally I prefer the 12 head or if you don't mind the extra weigth the 501 head is outstanding.
3. I don't like using ball heads with long lenses, but others with disagree...

hI
Yes I currently have the same setup and it has served me well, my usual kit for this lot has been 20D with Canon 100-400 or Sigma 50-500, sometimes with Canon 2x convertor.
It took me a little while to get the tension right on the fluid movements but once there the motion is super smooth, excellent for tracking birds in flight.
Unfortunately I have just acquired a Canon 600mm and the head isn't really upto the job so will have to part ways in favour of a gimbal type head very shortly.

Thanks for the help on that , have only just seen RJL205's thread with a lot of answers.
Here in Crete there is nothing to see/compair or try so mail order over the net is a minefield four days of surfing websites left me thoroughly knack'd, anyway ordered now, can't wait to try the setup.:t:
Thanks again
ColD
www.cretewww.com

1. Manfrotto heads and legs are interchangeable, you'll have no problems fitting a 701 to 055 legs.

I purchased a Manfrotto 701 RC2 head today which will not fit my Manfrotto 055B Pro tripod. The tripods centre column has a different 'male top plate' that will not take the 701 RC2s (female) plate. The tripod is an older version of the current 055B that is now in most retailers. It is a really sturdy bit of kit, so I don't want to get rid of it - but if anyone knows of an adapter or a center column replacement that has the newer fitting to take the 701 RC2 I would be most grateful and positively overjoyed. :t:

I purchased a Manfrotto 701 RC2 head today which will not fit my Manfrotto 055B Pro tripod. The tripods centre column has a different 'male top plate' that will not take the 701 RC2s (female) plate. The tripod is an older version of the current 055B that is now in most retailers. It is a really sturdy bit of kit, so I don't want to get rid of it - but if anyone knows of an adapter or a center column replacement that has the newer fitting to take the 701 RC2 I would be most grateful and positively overjoyed.

Can you be more specific about exactly why it doesn't fit. Perhaps you could post a picture to illustrate this.

Steve

and tonights winner is...........

SPRING CHICKEN....congratulations!!!

Many thanks Ron.

Am I correct in assuming that you've solved your problem, and that there was, as expected, a 3/8" screw underneath the stud?

If so, congratulations from me too!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back