Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What do FZ18 users think of there Camera?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 18th September 2008, 19:51   #76
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLoyko View Post
I think you're right in my confusing Jim, I don't really understand the whole "F and then some number thing"

-Matt
OK, let us try to make a little inroads:

Shutter speed is given as 1/60, 1/125, or what ever number, and means the fraction of a second that your camera is collecting information.

For the purpose of understanding, I will ask you to imagine something that is actually not true, but anyway: look at the F-number as it is was missing the 1/ part of the fraction, so you only saw the number in the denominator. A larger F number therefore means less light. F8 gives you half the light of f4. With fast moving birds, you want the maximum light and therefore the smallest number possible in F-number. Look in your manual under A (aperture priority) to see how to set the F-number, set it to the smallest possible, and leave it there when you do bird photography.

Hope this helps
Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 18th September 2008, 20:01   #77
MLoyko
d[-_-]b

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
OK, let us try to make a little inroads:

Shutter speed is given as 1/60, 1/125, or what ever number, and means the fraction of a second that your camera is collecting information.

For the purpose of understanding, I will ask you to imagine something that is actually not true, but anyway: look at the F-number as it is was missing the 1/ part of the fraction, so you only saw the number in the denominator. A larger F number therefore means less light. F8 gives you half the light of f4. With fast moving birds, you want the maximum light and therefore the smallest number possible in F-number. Look in your manual under A (aperture priority) to see how to set the F-number, set it to the smallest possible, and leave it there when you do bird photography.

Hope this helps
Niels
Thanks Niels,

I'm going out to try it at our feeders before the sun sets!

EDIT: Here I think these are better, set at F4.0 with EV +1/3, I think they are better except for the blinding bright spot in the corner! My last post on here I promise!

Thanks,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	160631  Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	160632  

Last edited by MLoyko : Thursday 18th September 2008 at 20:29.
Old Thursday 18th September 2008, 21:29   #78
Buddhist Vegan Birder
wrong place, wrong time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusdave View Post
... Don't forget to tell the camera you are using a teleconverter, see page 89 in the manual.
I have mentioned this in thread I started about TCON-17 (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=120057) and it was mentioned by Jim that he has not used the converter setting on the camera. I have now got a second-hand TCON-17 and have also found that I get good images without altering the setting at all (check Cormorant pics on my gallery).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Also which setting have people found is the best for taking 'moving' bird photographs?
I have found that using the Sport - Outdoor setting can get good results (if you're quick enough to keep the bird in the viewfinder)... including managing a Swift and Barn Swallows being fed...

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swift.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	160660  Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn Swallow.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	160661  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 19th September 2008, 00:26   #79
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhist Vegan Birder View Post
I have mentioned this in thread I started about TCON-17 (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=120057) and it was mentioned by Jim that he has not used the converter setting on the camera. I have now got a second-hand TCON-17 and have also found that I get good images without altering the setting at all (check Cormorant pics on my gallery).

I have found that using the Sport - Outdoor setting can get good results (if you're quick enough to keep the bird in the viewfinder)... including managing a Swift and Barn Swallows being fed...

Lisa
That is worth considering. What kind of Iso does the camera choose using that setting?

thanks
Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 19th September 2008, 19:55   #80
Buddhist Vegan Birder
wrong place, wrong time

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
That is worth considering. What kind of Iso does the camera choose using that setting?
The Swift settings were... ISO 100, exposure time 1/1300 sec., f/8

...and the Barn Swallow settings were... ISO 100, exposure time 1/100 sec., f/3.6.

The camera was set to Sports - Outdoor setting for both and it selected these settinngs automatically.

After reading what Jim has said about Aperture Priority for birding photography, I'll have a go using that this weekend... I've found with the evenings getter darker earlier now, I am getting blur with images due to poor light, and the flash doesn't seem to be of much use in these conditions, so hopefully this may compensate.

Lisa

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 20th September 2008, 10:25   #81
Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusdave View Post
When I say full zoom Emma, I mean full 8 megapixel optical zoom. I haven't used digital zoom and I wouldn't plan to. Several contributors have used the 5 and 3 megapixel 'extra' optical zooms to good effect, but I haven't tried those. I have the Pemaraal adaptor and step rings to fit both the old Olympus B300 X1.7 converter that I used in the past with an earlier digital camera, and the Nikon TC-15ED X1.5 converter that I got from Ebay. I haven't tried them in anger yet. The Nikon adaptor feels like it might be better balanced for hand held shots, It's certainly lighter. I have no experience with the Olympus T-CON 17, which is the more recent incarnation of the B300, but lots of people here use it to good effect. Don't forget to tell the camera you are using a teleconverter, see page 89 in the manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhist Vegan Birder View Post

Lisa
Thank you Dave and Lisa for your advice! I think it is going to be a case of trying the various settings and find which is best suited to the 'surrounds' of the photo I want to take!

I went to my local nature reserve last night and had my first proper attempts with my convertor, the light was starting to fade but I was pretty pleased with my pics and was even more impressed of the quality of the pics after I had cropped them! I have attached a before and after crop pic of a Snipe, I used P mode to take the photo! If anyone can give me a few pointers they will be most appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060237 (Medium).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	160923  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060237 cropped.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	160924  
Old Saturday 20th September 2008, 19:22   #82
Cactusdave

Not a bad shot at all given the light. The original is nice and sharp so the crop isn't half bad either. I would recommend brightening the original a little in your image processing software to compensate for the fading light and large areas of dark mud. I'm hoping to try my converter tomorrow if the birds oblige!
Old Tuesday 23rd September 2008, 17:29   #83
Cactusdave

See my separate thread for a not too serious side by side comparison of digiscoping, a Canon dSLR plus 500mm telephoto and an FZ18 plus X1.5 teleconvertor.
Old Friday 26th September 2008, 18:04   #84
loismanow

I love the Lumix

I've had this camera about 5 months, and absolutely love it. It is so lightweight that I can take it on hikes and all outdoor activities--which was a prime criteria for not choosing DSLR and lenses. It performs beautifully. I mostly have it a full telephoto, with the pixels reduced to 5, which gives me a 22X telephoto. I am considering getting a teleconverter 1.7X, but for now, I am very happy with this camera. I have posted some of my favorite photos at:

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsXLZm0cNGOi
Old Tuesday 14th October 2008, 04:35   #85
vortex

Have only had mine for a month or so, so far, I love it.

Serious types will be busting down doors for better settings and the like, it can do what you want I gather if you know photography, still stuck on Ai mode myself, but it's good. Great, actually.
Pointed it at a flower-it recognised it was a flower, switched to correct mode!!
How does that work? I pointed it at a Pomeranian, and still said flower mode, but Pomeranians are like that.

Light, holdable, crazy zoom, it's great. Previous camera was a film Pentax, circa '94, 28-80 mm lens. That was awful, in so many ways, this is , IMO, miraculous, even as a point and shoot, which it isn't really.

Same as any digital I guess, have good light, will travel.
Old Tuesday 14th October 2008, 10:17   #86
wavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
Have only had mine for a month or so, so far, I love it.
Exactly. I recently bought a CanonEOS1000D to take serious photos through my TeleVue-85 scope. In practice it does not get used - I take pictures of ships (I overlook a huge harbour) but by the time I get the settings sorted the ship has gone!

If the subject will stand still for 2 or 3 minutes and fits into the fixed field of view of the scope then the Canon is perfect ...

You can see my full experience with these two cameras here (ie with FZ18 and the canon)

http://www.thingysoft.com/myblog/2008_week030.asp#7

MOPEKS - a freeware program that generates programs that use each other to solve problems. Is this the correct route to a genuinely intelligent machine?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: