• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bogey Birds!!!! (1 Viewer)

mattwhite

I have noticed on certain threads and on peoples signatures when posting, birds being described as 'bogeys'.

What does this term mean?

Is this a bird they have never seen before or a bird that they have tried to see but dipped on??

Thanks

Matt

I think it usually refers to a bird you have tried to see but failed often on several occasions, normally birds that you think you should have seen but somehow managed not to.

Yeah, it's a bird you've tried to see and really should have by now.

For example Crested Tit wouldn't be a bogey for me, because although I've never seen one I've never been anywhere where I'm likely to. Jack Snipe is because there's plenty in my local area and I keep missing them every winter.

My Bogey was Dotterel until the other day 29/03/10 to be precise, seen at Greetham, RAF Cottesmore, Rutland UK.

Thanks to Tim Appleton for putting us on it ¦¬)

But Garganey is my other, even a pair breed at Frampton last year and i worked there for a whole day and still dipped on it !!! but this year it is top of my list :smoke:

A friend of mine has dipped at least 20 Green-winged Teals. He tried again this year at Eyebrook, and went on the one day it went somewhere else. Another has dipped about 7 Unmentionable Pipits (Olive-backed). They are unmentionable, and as far as he's concerned, it's possible they don't actually exist.
My bogey bird is probably Black-winged Stilt. I didn't see Sammy, and I am always away when they turn up close to home - for instance Elmley, and more recently Rainham. I refuse to go to north yorkshire for one though.
Jonathan

My bogey bird is Three-toed Woodpecker. I've visited the forest where they allegedly can be found loads of times, but no. I'm starting to believe they don't exist.

Sabine's gull is just, as everyone knows, is non existant....
twitched 'one' last year, dipped 4 times in two days and have missed them loads on other occasions too.

There are many non-existent birds in the world!

Pied Flycatchers are clearly a figment of collective birdwatcher's imaginations, as are Choughs, and Hoopoes are very common in Mainland Europe but anyone who claims to have seen on on this side of the channel is an attention craving lunatic with a wish to be bashed over the head with a shovel 8-P

Last edited:
Another has dipped about 7 Unmentionable Pipits (Olive-backed). They are unmentionable, and as far as he's concerned, it's possible they don't actually exist.

Indeed... they've all been searched for over several hours, and what's worse, all bar one have been present and showing well the next day. Grrr....

i had said for years that both water rail and bittern were figments of listers imaginations invented so they could get one over on those not in the know.

then i saw them both on the same day.

now it's crossbills that make me cross, quite a few times this year i've been in a wood and heard one call so i've set off in hot pursuit, once you arrive in the area and start looking they go quiet and start calling 50 yards away so the whole thing starts agiain. i'm sure i heard one snigger once.

when i go fishing i can sit there for weeks without a bite but can always guarantee one as soon as i pick up a sandwich or start pouring a drink of tea from my flask, i'm now considering tring this tactic on the birds to see if they appear while i'm pouring a drink.

Last edited:
Pechora Pipit was my bogy bird - until last year. I'd been on the breeding grounds when they should have been swarming all over the place, winter in Thailand, with fellow birders telling me that there were half a dozen in the next paddy up the road, only to find there wasn't a single bl**dy bird there. I really was starting to believe that there was a worldwide plot to mess with my mind, but I finally got two in Shetland ( and was reduced to issuing a grovelling apology to all those I'd disbelieved :-C :-C ). Birding - don't you just love it! :t:
Chris

Red-footed falcon until yesterday were i saw 2 at my village outskirts and today there still there together with a female kestrel

Lesser Spot is also one of my bogeys! As I bet for many people! I know one of the best places to see them but even then its still a tough little bugger.

Right place at the right time me thinks ?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back