Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Niger feeders

Old Sunday 26th December 2010, 16:15   #1
Zonda
Zonda

Niger feeders

Just like to say that the niger feeders sold at the RSPB outlets/shops, with the trough system of dispersion are useless in wet weather, and the small hole type of niger feeder is much more reliable. Rainwater collects in the quite open troughs and stops the flow of seeds to the birds. This is disturbing, as these trough type feeders are far more expensive than the hole delivery type.

Last edited by Zonda : Sunday 26th December 2010 at 16:20.
Old Sunday 26th December 2010, 17:53   #2
YourBirdOasis

Trough style niger feeders are only good if they are located under cover from rain. I think they are also more wasteful of seed because the birds can toss so much out with great ease. Go with tube feeders most of the time and clean them often!
Old Monday 27th December 2010, 20:21   #3
Shirley Roulston

Well hello Zonda, put the feeder under cover or fix a piece of wood over the top, like an umbella.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th December 2010, 21:27   #4
Zukn
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Yep either get a grill or hole feeder or move it undercover/attach a brolly. Trust the Welsh to answer wet weather questions. The prob with the grill and hole nyjer feeders is it spills out a bit, right now I've got a mesh fat guard, for frying pans under my nijer feeders to collect the spills, considering getting some chains and attaching it to the bottom to the feeder. As it happens the local chaffinches are happy eating the seed off the mesh but the husks are piling up.
Old Wednesday 29th December 2010, 15:52   #5
YourBirdOasis

A lot of people have suggested locating trough style feeders under makeshift roof. This will help keep your niger seed dry, but unless the cover is substantial, I think your seed is still prone to getting wet when the wind is whipping. Maybe that's not a big deal to you and that's fine, but I still believe tube feeders designed for niger are more practical and less wasteful of seed. That said, putting something below whatever feeder you choose to catch any seed that falls is a great idea, especially if your bird feeding budget is limited.
Old Wednesday 29th December 2010, 21:31   #6
Shirley Roulston

I indeed had loads of seedlings growing under one of the feeders and was quite looking forwards to the plants but alas the frost killed the lot, I know they are a type of thistle but its ok in a wild flower garden.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: