Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

small shrub advice wanted-zone 6

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 20th March 2005, 14:19   #1
lvn600

Cool small shrub advice wanted-zone 6

[/b]I am looking to add shrubs that can be limited to about 5' high that produce fruit to attract birds. I live in CT.(U.S.A.) and think I am in zone 6. Most of these shrubs would have to be able to tolerate some shade. Right now I have some winter holly. -Thanks i would appreciate any suggestons.-Larry

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st March 2005, 19:21   #2
hawkwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvn600
[/b]I am looking to add shrubs that can be limited to about 5' high that produce fruit to attract birds. I live in CT.(U.S.A.) and think I am in zone 6. Most of these shrubs would have to be able to tolerate some shade. Right now I have some winter holly. -Thanks i would appreciate any suggestons.-Larry
Hi Ivn600... if your garden centres sell these, try and get hold of some these varieties of cotoneasters such as dammeri,salcifolius repens which are ground huggers or conspicuus decorus which grows 5-8ft in height, english yew can be kept at a resonable height, pyracantha, ribes and rubus[black berry] these plants are shade tolerant and have berries that our birds eat. hopefully you can get these varieties or near as possible in the U.S.A... good luck
Old Monday 21st March 2005, 22:04   #3
lvn600

Thanks-that gives me a good place to start--Larry

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: