Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

DIY moth traps - any tips for improvements?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 11th May 2005, 17:56   #26
AndrewParker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreybirder
I hope I'm not breaching copyright but someone on UKmoths quoted Paul Batty's response to someone who made much the same point: > Yes, you may be correct - there's probably a get out for us under the
special uses clauses, which would allow me (possibly) to sell existing
stocks, but the main problem will come if no-one makes the lamps any more.
>
> Then we have to get someone to make them for our "special use" which may
be acceptable to the regs, but the price will go along with the rest of the
special uses - 40 per lamp !

Ken
Paul Batty seems to be unreasonably pesimistic. Not only will he be able to sell existing stock, there is NO restriction on the manufacture of new units, so I see no reason why the current situation should change. Moth collecting is not the primary market for these lights, and the other users will not suddenly stop using them so the manufacture will continue. The only change I see is in the requirement to provide a disposal service (which is not in this regulation).

Andrew.
Old Saturday 14th May 2005, 15:22   #27
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewParker
Paul Batty seems to be unreasonably pesimistic. Not only will he be able to sell existing stock, there is NO restriction on the manufacture of new units, so I see no reason why the current situation should change. Moth collecting is not the primary market for these lights, and the other users will not suddenly stop using them so the manufacture will continue. The only change I see is in the requirement to provide a disposal service (which is not in this regulation).

Andrew.
I hope you're right!!
But I may stock up with a couple of spare bulbs just in case!
Ken
Old Saturday 14th May 2005, 16:59   #28
400mark

Following a few suggestions I have modified my moth trap so it now has a larger entrance funnel.
I have also turned the light upside down so that the cable is at the top & doesn't obstruct the funnel, it's also easier to remove the light from the trap.

I tried the trap last night, I wasn't expecting to catch much as it was cold and very windy - just one shuttle-shaped Dart & a White-shouldered House Moth. Hopefully tonight will be a little better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new trap.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	21030  Click image for larger version

Name:	ssdart.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	21031  
Old Saturday 14th May 2005, 21:31   #29
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400mark
Following a few suggestions I have modified my moth trap so it now has a larger entrance funnel.
I have also turned the light upside down so that the cable is at the top & doesn't obstruct the funnel, it's also easier to remove the light from the trap.

I tried the trap last night, I wasn't expecting to catch much as it was cold and very windy - just one shuttle-shaped Dart & a White-shouldered House Moth. Hopefully tonight will be a little better.
It may be in your area, but I've already got a frost and it's only 10.30pm. I don't think I'll bother trapping tonight. I don't have to trap white-shouldered house moths, I can catch enough of them inside my house. lol.

Harry
Old Sunday 15th May 2005, 09:34   #30
Pete Haynes
Pete H

Red face Last two nights

Last night (despite the lower temp - 3.1 compared with 6.1 deg C min) was better than the previous two nights 16 moths of 8 species, with my first Purple Bar making it worthwhile, as opposed to 13 moths of 7 species on the 13th, including the attached Pug, which I thought was White-spotted at first but now think its Common Pug (my first of either), plus a Scalloped Hazel, Poplar Hawkmoth, a Shuttle-shaped Dart, another Shears (different one this time) and the micro attached (long antennae and 10-12 mm long) - all ideas welcomed.

I have also attached a piccie of a Small Pheonix picked off the porch door on the 12th. Included it as it shows the charasteristic curled up abdomen resting position.

All the best

Pete H
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Small Pheonix 6600t.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	21057  Click image for larger version

Name:	Common Pug 6608t.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	21058  Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro 6568t.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	21059  Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple Bar 6620t.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	21060  
Old Sunday 15th May 2005, 10:06   #31
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

I like the small phoenix, Pete. I wouldn't like to say on the pug... it doesn't look spotted enough to be white-spotted to me but I don't have much experience. The micro is Nempatapogon swammerdamella in my view, but Graham will probably only accept it if he can dissect it (see similar pic on 'moving into May' thread).
I only had a waved umber and a Hebrew character plus one escaped carpet last night!
Ken
Old Wednesday 15th June 2005, 21:31   #32
400mark

I have now upgraded my moth trap to the "Pete Haynes" style DIY moth trap as described above.
I would like to thank Pete for sharing his design, providing help & clear instructions on how to put it together/where to get the components and being kind enough to send me templates for the cone and vanes!

Thanks Pete for all your help!

It is quite a sizeable trap but its very sturdy and the vanes do not need to be secured, unless very windy.
I can look forward to many years mothing with this trap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010222.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	23575  
Old Wednesday 15th June 2005, 22:04   #33
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

Quote:
I have now upgraded my moth trap to the "Pete Haynes" style DIY moth trap as described above.
I would like to thank Pete for sharing his design, providing help & clear instructions on how to put it together/where to get the components and being kind enough to send me templates for the cone and vanes!

It is quite a sizeable trap but its very sturdy and the vanes do not need to be secured, unless very windy.
Congratulations 400mark,

That's a very neat job.

All you need now are the Moths, not every night is a good one unfortunately.

If you get bored watching the trap you can pass the time counting the Daiseys. lol.

Harry
Old Thursday 16th June 2005, 08:32   #34
Cuckoo-shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry eales
Hello Peter,
My vanes are made from 'Crystaglass' a clear plastic available from many DIY outlets. It comes with a paper covering so marking out the shapes to be cut can all be made, and the vanes cut out, before the paper covering is removed. This will help prevent scratching. If you use this plastic, ignore the instructions to score a groove and snap it like glass, it doesn't work reliably, it's better to cut it using a saw. Take your time and cut slowly otherwise the plastic melts with the friction, jamming the blade. The heat of the M.V. bulb has no effect on this plastic as long as there is a 1/4" gap between the vanes and the bulb.

I have little use for rainshields, rain seldom falls vertically, it's usually falling at an angle. Making the rainshields larger to compensate, just cuts down the area that moths have to enter the trap, especially when a good many specimens spiral down vertically into the trap.

Harry
Hi Harry
Do you think moths ever injure themselves when colliding with vanes? They can come in at a helluva lick and with their eyes being positioned where there are, I wonder if they get damaged.
Old Thursday 16th June 2005, 09:43   #35
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila
Hi Harry
Do you think moths ever injure themselves when colliding with vanes? They can come in at a helluva lick and with their eyes being positioned where there are, I wonder if they get damaged.
Hello Aquila,

I suppose that it is possible, but I cannot say that I have noted any adverse effects. Certainly if one or both of the antennae were lost in such a collision the specimen would suffer from some sensory deprivation, but I cannot say I have seen any moth loose these organs as a direct result of such a collision.

Very small micro's (and flies) sometimes get terminated by the heat of an MV bulb by flying too close to it but larger moths and other insects seem little, if at all effected.

Moths, having an 'exoskeleton' are pretty tough creatures, so I would think any impact damage would, in nearly all instances, be minimal. There is far more damage likely to be caused, by certain suction traps where the moths have to survive passing through rotating fan blades.

Harry
Old Thursday 16th June 2005, 09:52   #36
Cuckoo-shrike

Thanks Harry.
By the way, talking of making vanes and getting them to stand up in the funnel, you really have to be very accurate with your angles and cutting don't you? I've found it quite difficult (but then I am to DIY what Frank Bruno is to flower-arranging). How do you fix them together - with little screw-on brackets?
Old Thursday 16th June 2005, 11:07   #37
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila
Thanks Harry.
By the way, talking of making vanes and getting them to stand up in the funnel, you really have to be very accurate with your angles and cutting don't you? I've found it quite difficult (but then I am to DIY what Frank Bruno is to flower-arranging). How do you fix them together - with little screw-on brackets?
Hello Andy,

Yes, you do have to be accurate about angles and precision cutting, being an engineer at one time in my life, was distinctly helpful, I must admit. It may be that your local DIY supply store my have a cutting service that could do the job for you. provided you have an accurate diagram or drawing of what you want cutting.

I measured my angles with a protractor and a steel rule, as long as your entry cone doesn't have a vertical lip, it's a simple task to accomplish. If you don't get the angle at the bottom of the vanes right, they will not 'sit' properly, and so will not be stable.

My vanes consist of 1/8" (4mm) thick 'Crystaglass' clear plastic which is fairly rigid and consist of 3 parts which are fixed together using small 5/8" angle brackets, nuts, bolts and washers. See post 19 of this thread for a photograph.

You don't need an engineering workshop to make the vanes, I just used a Workmate, a couple of clamps and a handsaw to cut the vanes out, and a sharp file for final fitting, and squaring off the edges. A small hand drill and a drill bit for the bolt holes completed to tool list.

Take your time, check every measurement at least twice before cutting.

Remember there are many tools that can remove material, but very few that put it back on.

Harry
Old Thursday 16th June 2005, 11:19   #38
Pete Haynes
Pete H

Thumbs up New moth trap

Quote:

Well done Mark. Glad to be of help. I only use my rain cover when there is substantial rain forecast, if I put the trap out at all! I just don't like the idea of the trap taking in water even with my efficient drain holes. With the MV traps I put them under garden tables for protection against the rain, even though they have rain covers built in. This does not seem to affect catch rates. In fact I can often pick off moths sheltering under the tables, especially around dawn (03.50 at present!!!)

All the best

Pete H
Old Thursday 16th June 2005, 11:31   #39
Cuckoo-shrike

Thanks Harry, that's much appreciated. I'll go and dig out my old school protractor. I knew it would come in handy one day!
Old Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:38   #40
Denis
Gwent Wildlife Trust

Peter,

I was wondering if I could also trouble you for the template for the Robinson trap cone? Alternatively, some information as to how to calculate its dimensions would be appreciated. I'm keen to get another couple of traps going but the only viable financial option for me is DIY.

Many thanks

Denis
Old Saturday 25th February 2006, 18:07   #41
mothman

Bump Bump(because there seems to be a few folk around doing home builds right now)

MOTHMAN!
Headbutting lightbulbs for truth justice and the English way.
Old Monday 26th February 2007, 18:45   #42
mothman

Bump Bump again for Kimandsue

MOTHMAN!
Headbutting lightbulbs for truth justice and the English way.

Last edited by mothman : Monday 26th February 2007 at 18:53.
Old Tuesday 27th February 2007, 07:44   #43
Pete Haynes
Pete H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis
Peter,

I was wondering if I could also trouble you for the template for the Robinson trap cone? Alternatively, some information as to how to calculate its dimensions would be appreciated. I'm keen to get another couple of traps going but the only viable financial option for me is DIY.

Many thanks

Denis
Sorry I haven't picked this up till now. Yes, I can give you templates for the cone and vanes. I will contact you via email with my phone number. Give me a ring and we can sort out what you require.

All the best

Pete H
Old Sunday 1st July 2007, 06:44   #44
tc_leeds

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Haynes View Post
Sorry I haven't picked this up till now. Yes, I can give you templates for the cone and vanes. I will contact you via email with my phone number. Give me a ring and we can sort out what you require.

All the best

Pete H
Peter et al,

Peter also very kindly sent me a template for the Robinson trap and following subsequent emails and telephone conversations I made one. It can be seen on my website at:

www.tcdigitalphotography.co.uk

and since completion has been in use regularly.

Thank you Peter for your help on this one

TC
Old Sunday 1st July 2007, 08:13   #45
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Well done on both the trap-building (and the explanations) and the website, Tony. The photos are excellent. Is there anything you cannot do?!
One or two of the 'rare' birds are not captioned. I'm sure a lot of birders would know them, but what is the godwit, for example?
Ken
Old Sunday 1st July 2007, 10:59   #46
tc_leeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreybirder View Post
Well done on both the trap-building (and the explanations) and the website, Tony. The photos are excellent. Is there anything you cannot do?!
One or two of the 'rare' birds are not captioned. I'm sure a lot of birders would know them, but what is the godwit, for example?
Ken
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the comments - always appreciated. Gallery 1 is the first I worked on and never got round to putting in the titles. However they are, from left to right going down the rows:
Row 1
Bittern Great Grey Shrike Greenish Warbler Night Heron White Headed Duck
Row 2
Long Billed Dowitcher White Storks Common Rosefinch American Robin Squacco Heron
Row 3
Wrykneck Red Breasted Flycatcher Cream Coloured Courser Lesser Yellow Legs Hulme' Yellow Browed Warbler.

The only trouble is you have to go the birds whereas with the moths they come to you. Most were taken in the back garden with one or two taken in Tyneside at Tom Tams.

Thanks again

TC
Old Sunday 1st July 2007, 13:45   #47
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Whoops.. my 'godwit' was a dowitcher. My only excuse is that I've not seen one for about 20 years!
Ken
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: