• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (1 Viewer)

Anybody have an opinion on this Warbler, found at the entrance to boquer valley this morning. This is all I got on it before it disappeared.

Attachments

• 20190422_114038-1209x1612.jpg
    20190422_114038-1209x1612.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190422_114129-1209x1612.jpg
    20190422_114129-1209x1612.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190422_114106-1209x1612.jpg
    20190422_114106-1209x1612.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 96
Also found what looks like a Black headed wagtail (Motacilla flava feldegg) not sure how often they occur here? It was a bit distant and was in a field opposite the Torrent de Sant Jordi.

Attachments

• 20190422_170517.jpg
    20190422_170517.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 73
I don’t know where to start, the bird alert has been on fire.
I was looking at photos of Rufous Bush Chat late last night so I should have predicted one of those and not Cream-coloured courser. I hope someone posts photos and details because it appears one has dropped into Albufera.
Big numbers of terns today, groups of over double figures of Whiskered tern at Bassa de Can Guidet and Sant Jordi. A White-winged Black tern, a Black tern and Golden Oriole at the tower.
It seems there is an invasion of Rollers with groups of up to four being seen along with individuals all across the Island.
I am still only able to go out locally so I’m missing out big time. It matters a lot less these days but I would still love to be up north enjoying some of these goodies.
I’m just pleased for everybody who is enjoying the birds. All the sun seekers are bored and complaining like mad about this atrocious weather but not us birders, we are having a field day!
Good luck everybody, there are loads more rarities out there.
Mike

Phil and I saw a feldegg some years ago but it was not accepted. It seems there can be confusion with another sub species which I will look up.
The Cap needs to be deep glossy black with no hint of any other colour, especially green. I can’t see your photo well enough but I do hope others comment.
With regards to the Warbler, it looks good for a species of hippolais with a typical pose in the first shot. It’s a bit scrappy and again I hope other birders comment. Thanks,
Mike

Phil and I saw a feldegg some years ago but it was not accepted. It seems there can be confusion with another sub species which I will look up.
The Cap needs to be deep glossy black with no hint of any other colour, especially green. I can’t see your photo well enough but I do hope others comment.
With regards to the Warbler, it looks good for a species of hippolais with a typical pose in the first shot. It’s a bit scrappy and again I hope other birders comment. Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike I'm now thinking maybe motacilla flava thunbergi Ashy-headed wagtail, I think the head colour looked alot darker than I thought because of the weather!! As for the warbler my first thought was Melodious but as you can see it was soaking wet just like I have been all day!

As soon as I put the phone down, it rings again.
Reports of huge groups of Barn Swallows and Swifts.
Philip phoned to say he had just seen a White-rumped Swift in Santa Ponça.
Phil thoroughly deserves this record. I have been birding with him from dawn until dusk and returned to his apartment exhausted but he still goes out onto the balcony in the dark to look for owls and Stone curlews. He is probably the most dedicated birder I know so there is no mistaking this record. There are I believe reports of Common Swift with partial leucism but Phil knows this is not the case with this bird so many congratulations to him.
He also saw a pair of Montagu’s Harrier (a male and female) in the fields around Santa Ponça and a Little Bittern at Golf II.
More reports to follow soon!
Mike

Ah yes, it was thunbergi. Our bird was solid black and no mistake that it was feldegg. I can still see it now in my mind’s eye. What a beauty. Shame it wasn’t accepted but I fully understand how difficult having to make the decisions is. These days I would have taken a photo of course, no arguments then. I’ve still ticked it though!
Mike

Hello. Difficult to tell from these photos, because the bird looks wet and some important details are not seen, but looks like an Isabelline Warbler, Iduna opaca. Hope it can be relocated!

The wagtail is a thunbergi, as you said. Every year some of these are seen in spring.

Maties

Red-footed falcons are beginning to show so a trip to the central plain may be worthwhile.
Also a few Montagu’s harriers coming through.
Let’s see what rarities will be found in the next few days, it could be interesting.
Yesterday was a bank holiday of course so there were more birders out looking despite the atrocious weather. Not many people will be out today but I do hope that those who are around have a bonanza.
Good luck to all, Mike

How long are the rollers usually around? I will be there from May 11 for a week. I agree with Maties on the wagtail. We see a couple of extra dark thunbergii in Sweden every year when they migrate north. Depending on light and weather they can appear dark. The bird in the Pictures has some ashy color, especially around the neck, i think.

Hi Vincent. You should be ok for Rollers on that date. They are regular in early May at the best site which is Can Cullerassa in the north near Pollença.
All sightings will go on this forum so it’s worth keeping an eye on the thread for up-to-date information.
Mike

Last edited:
There was a feldegg at Albufera in March 2017, Maties submitted the record with my photo. Perhaps Maties can comment on the frequency of records for Mallorca?

There's certainly a lot of migrant activity at the moment. I just just saw a male Golden Oriole in the fig tree in front of my house - a first for my "garden" record!

Attachments

• Yellow Wagtail_4415.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail_4415.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 47
A few of yesterday's birds in Can Guidet (Roller, Black and Whiskered Terns) and Prat de San Jordi (Gull-billed terns). Two of the latter were there this morning but the Rollers and Marsh terns had moved on.

Attachments

• _D_B5603.jpg
    _D_B5603.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 51
  • _D_B5517.jpg
    _D_B5517.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • _1DA7494.jpg
    _1DA7494.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 62
Some useful holiday ticks from Albufera today inc pied and spotted flycatcher, redstart and our first red knobbed coots; 1 with a neck collar. Also 2 big grasshoppers. Does anyone know what species are there? WiFi not great so can't put photos on but both a good 5-7cm in length. Thanks Tom

A group of about 40 Whiskered tern were briefly at the Depuradora/San Bosc area this morning.

Attachments

• 20190423_161105-1209x1612.jpg
    20190423_161105-1209x1612.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 59
Hi Tom
I know very little about insects but we do have some very knowledgeable people on this thread who I’m sure can help.
As far as I know there is an Egyptian Grasshopper as in this photo. I was told it’s an Egyptian locust but I really don’t know. It is identified by the vertical stripes over the eye I believe so if your Grasshopper has that feature then I think that’s the one.
Mike

Attachments

• BA923AEE-AC97-4F98-BA36-BAC0AB3ACBAC.jpeg
    BA923AEE-AC97-4F98-BA36-BAC0AB3ACBAC.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 33
Clive, I think there are only 3 or 4 accepted records of Motacilla flava feldegg in the Balearics, but I have not exact numbers now with me. Anyway, quite a rare bird!

Today I could hear at least 2 Red throated Pipits passing in fly in 2 different places in Albufereta, so there must be some other birds migrating elsewhere. Others nice migrants too there, as Redstarts, Wheatear, Tree Pipit, Whinchats, Garden Warbler, Whitethroats, Sedge Warblers, Wood Warbler, S-T Larks, etc.

Maties

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back