• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (1 Viewer)

Having dropped my wife off at the airport, I went home via Villafranca.
Many Quails were calling as were Corn buntings, lots of Short-toed Larks, thousands of Common Swift, Yellow Wagtails, Montagu’s Harrier and Red Kites.
Sadly no Red-footed falcons yet but I live in hope.
Mike

Attachments

• D8CF9E62-8908-4BA3-BBE6-5C6735C9011D.jpeg
    D8CF9E62-8908-4BA3-BBE6-5C6735C9011D.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 51
I forgot to say that I heard a Red-throated pipit at Villafranca but I failed to locate it.
There was a male Red-footed falcon at Can Cullerassa yesterday I believe.
Also Juanjo reports two Red-throated Pipits at Salobrar tonight.
Mike

Set off for Son Real this morning only to find the road closed.
Ended up spending the morning and early afternoon at S’Albufera again.
Couple of pratincoles, spotted redshank,5 ringed plover, common sand.Several great reed warblers and a few hobby’s over besides the normal birds.
Called at Alberfureta mid afternoon. Curlew sand, stone curlew, common sand, LRP, purple heron and 2 turtle doves the best bits.

A walk to my local lighthouse produced over 750 mixed shearwaters, both Scopoli’s and Balearic.
It would be hard to apportion the two species so maybe I need to get a couple of those birdcounter things. Even then it would be difficult because they stream past so fast, especially the fast flying Balearics.
They were quite close in tonight. Getting there at 6.30 pm is about right. I was only there just under the hour, it was very cold.
Mike

Mike, Do you have any recommendations around Villafranca and the central plain? I have been driving around several times, but I find that it is difficult to find places to stop along the roads.

Hi Vincent. It is difficult to stop, let alone park. I drive off the road at Villafranca and park on the minor road to the depuradora. There is one parking space and I walk from there. It’s a terrific spot. Depends on the day of course but lots of local birds to see if there is no passage. Hopefully the Red-footed falcons will be in soon. They usually are although the numbers vary. Good luck. Mike

Bee-eaters at la Gola

Hello!
just a few minuts ago we have had these beautiful visitors at the Park :t:

Attachments

• 100_2967.jpg
    100_2967.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 92
I think it’s a Barn owl. There used to be one in the Centre of Cala d’Or and we watched it floating silently over the restaurant as we enjoyed supper.

Just returned from Salobrar where I enjoyed a short trip down to the end of Eddie’s Track.
Two Collared Pratincole, both found by Martin, a Whiskered tern, a dozen Curlew Sandpiper, Little stint, Green Sandpiper, Greater Flamingoes and hundreds of dazzling Avocets. No sign of the Red-throated Pipits but there were lots of Red Kites, an Osprey and a Black tern earlier.
Very nice to meet a couple from Norwich, I’m terrible with names, it seems we had a lot of shared history. As always, it’s a small world.
Mike

Martin just messaged to say that he found an adult male Lesser Kestrel just after I left. I knew there was at least one in the area and maybe more.
He also just texted to say there are at least six Spotless Starlings in Calle Covetes. I have seen a few in the area over the years but just wondering if they breed there. I will go and take a look tomorrow.
Mike.

Started at the entrance to the boquer valley. Fairly quiet with a couple of pied fly the early morning highlight.
Then did the track at can cuarassa. 6-7 whinchat in the cultivated field and a couple of spotless starlings behind the restaurant the best bits.
From the hide at Albufereta. Curlew sand, greenshank and 3 common sands.
Overall seemed to be a lot less about than the last few days.

Great day at S’albufera today with Geordie Dave. Birds seen included, Little Bittern, Glossy Ibis, Night heron, 2 Collared pratincoles, Marbled duck, Reed and Great reed warbler, Purple heron, 2 Greater flamingos, Ringed and Kentish plovers, Avocets, B W stilts, Purple gallinule, male and female Redstart as well as the usual birds.
Along Son Bosc lots of Bee eaters and male Lesser kestrel. At depuradura Ferruginous duck, Common term, Common pochard, Little ringed plover , Common sandpiper , Whinchat, R L partridge and Marsh harrier.
Later at Can Curassa more Bee eaters, Stone curlew, Raven and Whinchat.

I just went to my usual spot for Nightjars at Mondragó, too early but it’s always worth a visit.
I watched the sun go down to the sound of Turtle doves, Stone curlews and Nightingales.
Then the Scops owls began, at least three.
I felt very lucky to have such an absorbing hobby. Many of my retired friends here complain of being bored, something I never feel, there are too many great things out there to go and see.
Mike

Kevin, thank you. I agree a great day out. What I've also enjoyed is that we have both taken time to speak to every other birder we have seen today at Albufera, Depuradora and Can Caurassa and shared news and experience about what is going on and what we've seen and learning from them at the same time. It's exactly what a friendly forum should be about.. I've been here since Sunday and my general view is that things are interesting but still quiet. It's still early yet!!

Another trip to the Central Plain. No sign of any Red-footed falcons. There have been some influxes in parts of Europe but not us yet.
One Alpine Swift and Lots of Bee-eaters helped the fact that the Montagu’s harriers didn’t show. Maybe they have moved on.
What surprises me about Bee-eaters is that despite clear blue skies, they are often very hard to locate even when they are constantly calling.
Mike

The Ferruginous Duck remains at the Depuradora the single Whiskered Tern became four briefly. The c25 Bee eaters from La Gola yesterday spent the rest of the day around the fi cas behind the hotel Romantic off carrier Bruxola. They remained this morning numbering c30.

Called in at Llenaire this morning. Up to 20 bee eaters on the wires in the first field on the right from the roundabout. While they were there a group of another 30+ flew over fairly low down. Spent a quiet day today at Albufereta, the scrape behind the hotel and the screens and the back road at Can Cuarassa. Not much about in fairly cold and overcast conditions. There's always tomorrow!!

I said that the Red-footed falcons would appear at Villafranca the day after I went and true to form, three turned up today.
A funny old day at the tower with Geordie Dave and Kevin getting there at the crack of dawn. An early Honey Buzzard was a good sign we thought but it was not to be. Very little came through with just two more birds, a Hobby and an Eleonora’s Falcon. A great day in some ways though with good humour and good company.
The Ferruginous Duck was still at the depuradora on the way home and a good number of Bee-eaters were on the approach road as usual.
Several of the locals are staying on the island of Cabrera and following yesterday’s storm, they had a bonanza today with western Olivaceous Warbler, Lesser whitethroat, Red-necked nightjar, Eastern Subalpine Warbler, Orphean Warbler and Icterine Warbler.
Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back