Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pelican case for scope

Old Sunday 24th March 2019, 22:29   #1
gee912

Pelican case for scope

Hi, I recently got a spotting scope.

Does anyone use a Pelican type case for storing/transporting their scopes?

Interested to see photos or hear how you guys protect your optics.

I'm looking at buying a pelican case with Trekpak insert and wonder how protective this would be for rough travelling or international birding trips.

Any advice would be really helpful.
Thanks, Gerard
Old Monday 25th March 2019, 02:09   #2
pnw_hiker

Also would like to know! I have thought about getting one for my binoculars, since I fly somewhat often and don't want anything to happen to them... will be getting a scope soon and this is in the back of my mind.
Old Monday 25th March 2019, 02:36   #3
gee912

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw_hiker View Post
Also would like to know! I have thought about getting one for my binoculars, since I fly somewhat often and don't want anything to happen to them... will be getting a scope soon and this is in the back of my mind.
Hi pnw_hiker,
Yeah I'm sure others would have been through this as well.

At the moment I'm looking at a Pelican 1485 with Trekpak insert. I have read that some people don't like the pick and pluck foam as it gets a bit ratty after awhile. Also the Trekpak gives more room to fit other things inside the case. We just got a Swarovski scope so I want this thing to last a long time and be protected well.
Old Monday 25th March 2019, 13:21   #4
Mono
Hi!

Whilst they offer very good protection Peli cases do scream out, "Steal Me!", that there is something expensive inside.
Old Monday 25th March 2019, 13:28   #5
Binastro

I don't know how it is nowadays, but I used an aluminium case from a local store for my Celestron 5 that I could carry into the aircraft cabin.
I cannot remember if I carried the Slik 88 tripod or it went in the hold.
This gave me a 5 inch scope for astro work abroad.
I made my own foam protectors.

I had an enormous aluminium trunk custom made for the 12.5 inch Dall Kirkham as standard ones weren't big enough. I made my own foam protectors. But I never took this abroad.

My heavy 8.5 inch Newtonian was driven by car 1,500 miles and was fine. I had the hydroelastic suspension of the Austin 1800 pumped up to high pressure.

I would never give cameras, lenses etc. to be put in the hold.
They get stolen, used like footballs etc.

Movie people have no choice and use really strong cases.
My friend did transport his 6 inch Newtonian in a large case in the Boeing 767 hold and that was O.K.

I don't know if spotting scopes can go in the cabin or not nowadays.

I carried 20x80 binoculars in a case around my neck.

A book, camera and a binocular were excluded from weight restrictions. The 20x80 was O.K. for this.

The Zoomar 180mm f/1.3 lens had its own large aluminium case.
Old Monday 25th March 2019, 20:11   #6
jring

Hi,

I like my optics in the carry-on backpack. This obviously limits how much stuff you can take, but it also means I know how it's going to be handled. I am a lot more comfortable with my laptop going into checked baggage instead as this is old and encrypted.

Joachim
Old Friday 19th April 2019, 21:58   #7
RobMorane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
I don't know if spotting scopes can go in the cabin or not nowadays.
They can. My Kowa scope went through airports security in several airports in France, Turkey and Nepal.

The Turkish airport security was the toughest, as the security lady had no clue what she was looking at, and went to her supervisor with my scope in its case.
Having a small bird identification guide helps to explain.
A scope is not so different than a camera lens after all.

When I fly, I put my 77 scope in a IM2306 StormCase with pluck out foam, and this, into a cheap travel bag, together with my Binos.

Once at security, I leave the Binos in the bag, and remove the scope case for inspection. Most of the time, opening the case is enough for visual check, and I don't have to remove the scope.

Last edited by RobMorane : Friday 19th April 2019 at 22:10.
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 21:24   #8
ChadHahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Whilst they offer very good protection Peli cases do scream out, "Steal Me!", that there is something expensive inside.
Before I went to Namibia I first went to a thrift store and bought a cheap suitcase that was slightly larger than my Pelican case. Nobody bothered my gear because it was in a dirty torn suitcase.

Chad
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 21:46   #9
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

I recommend using any case that seals as well as a Pelican for transportation only. They'll trap any moisture which is bad news for storage. Silica gel can mitigate this.

Your scope is likely waterproof so unless you go swimming (as in overturned kayak) you probably don't need such protection. These cases are very bulky, heavy, expensive, and has been said, scream steal me.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Friday 26th April 2019 at 22:57.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 26th April 2019, 23:01   #10
jring

Hi,

yes, I also had to prove what my scope was for once (sitting on a table as the tripod was in the checked suitcase).

As for pelican cases - good reasons have been mentioned why not to use them (unless you have an expedition with enough equipment that there is no chance to take it to the cabin - and then hopefully a good insurance in case they get "lost"). And if you have to use them, don't keep stuff in there for extended periods - warm, dry and well ventilated is the key...

Joachim
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: