• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new born blackbird pls help? (1 Viewer)

CurlyF

Hello, yesterday I found a new born blackbird in the middle of my garden (no trees around) and it still had pieces from its shell stick into its body. I found the breed because of the colour of the shell (blue with tiny spots) or at least I think I did. I've been feeding it Kaytee exact hand feeding every 40 min or so, but it hasn't pooped. Is that normal in a newborn or ok? If you could provide some tips that would be awesome.

Hi Curly and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds.

It's extremely difficult to rais such a young bird, please let us know how you get on.

Hi, thank you! I just read it and tried all listed about trying to return it but the parents never showed up and there were no trees or nests around. A cat probably dragged it from some other place and left it there... I would love to return it to its parents more than anything but they are nowhere around... If anyone knows about pooping habits of baby birds I would really apreciate it, for some peace of mind at least, that I did everything I could. Glad I found this site, it's pretty great!

Hi Curly and welcome aboard.

You might try calling a veterinarian or a wildlife rehab organization to see if they can answer your questions on pooping.

Sorry, I don't know what Kaytee is I'm afraid. Nestlings this age will be being fed insects, which is where they get their moisture from.

They should pass a faecal sac at least once a day, you may need to moisten an cotton bud and wipe it over the vent area to encourage them. However, no idea if this works in birds, the same as it does in mammals.

Thank you so much for all your replies and welcomes! The chick is doing much better, he finally pooped, though it took quite some time. I'm really hoping it survives. Feeding it every hour, keeping it warm and freaking out with every tiny change he has. Today it's making like a soft click every time it breathes, so I'm worried but Idk if it's because it's starting to try to sing, I can hear very soft whistles now and then. I'm hoping it's because of that. The only hopsital for tiny species will be closed until Monday so I'm doing my best till they can give me info about this little guy. I'll keep posting about it's progress and thank you so much for your replies!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back