Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Value

Old Monday 8th July 2019, 15:21   #1
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Value

In the last few years I have looked at low priced binoculars in the 8X format and have found that if one is looking to spend the lowest amount of $$ these two come to mind.
The Bushnell Legend M 8X42 ($135) and the Fujinon KF 8X32 (as low as $60.00/ can be found for about $130.00 ( also made in the Philippines under other names as Kenko, Sightron Blue sky and a couple of others).
To me they represent the best value in 8X42 and 8X32. Now at this price point there will be sample variation - the Bushnell Legend M (focus wheel) but I finally got a good one. The KF 8X32, I bought three, (a couple for family members) and all three were good out of the box.

What others are there?

Andy W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2344.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	699283  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3401.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	699284  

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 8th July 2019, 16:15   #2
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
In the last few years I have looked at low priced binoculars in the 8X format and have found that if one is looking to spend the lowest amount of $$ these two come to mind.
The Bushnell Legend M 8X42 ($135) and the Fujinon KF 8X32 (as low as $60.00/ can be found for about $130.00 ( also made in the Philippines under other names as Kenko, Sightron Blue sky and a couple of others).
To me they represent the best value in 8X42 and 8X32. Now at this price point there will be sample variation - the Bushnell Legend M (focus wheel) but I finally got a good one. The KF 8X32, I bought three, (a couple for family members) and all three were good out of the box.

What others are there?

Andy W.
I think the porro's are the "Value King's" IMO. The Nikon 8x30 EII porro for $450.00 and especially the Swarovski Habicht porro's for $700.00 are equal optically to the $2K alpha roof's and in many ways superior to them. The porro's have higher light transmission the Habicht's reaching almost 96% and a better 3D image and they are also lighter because there is less glass needed in them. For example, the Habicht 10x40 only weighs 23 oz.. Show me a 40mm roof that is that light. MUCH better build quality than the inexpensive MIC roof's IMO also.
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 18:32   #3
Super Dave

Great topic for gifting binos Andy. What are the best low cost poros these days? Does the newer 6x Yosemite fall in this category?
I gave my daughters those when they were too young but they are still going strong.
Dave
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 23:17   #4
Anabana51

I'm also looking for inexpensive binos -but for myself- somewhere in the $150-$250 range. I've had and gotten rid of, a few really cheap binos; I do have a pair that belonged to an uncle who was in the Merchant Marine in the 1940s & 50s - 12 x 70, I think? - that must weigh at least 5 lbs. I don't even want to hold them long enough to set the focus!
So currently, my only pair are Bushnell 7x35. Fine for birds in the yard, but very limited. I'm looking at the Wingspan Skyview Ultra HD - 8X42 (I'd never heard of this brand before - but found it's a rebranding of Polaris). The biggest draw is a lifetime warranty - might not have to be too long as I'm now 78, but I'd like to think the company would outlive me! Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Their 'mission statement' is to produce good birding glasses. They are only $150, so it wouldn't be a great loss if I decide I don't like them. The 8x32's are about $110...
Most of my use would be on my own 6 acres in rural So. Calif., but I do some traveling. I have a camping week set for mid-Sept. at the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Yellowstone, & Glacier parks next year as well as a trip to Maui. I don't spend a whole day hiking anymore, but I need something lightweight and reliable. I'm a long-time Nikon camera owner - so their products are on my radar, as well.
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 23:59   #5
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Dave, I think the Yosmite 6X or 8X are a great value, probably the best value porros today.

Andy W.

Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 14:58   #6
Foss

Hi Andy,
Good to know that the FK 8x32s check out. I've always wondered why Fujinon never plunged into the high-end roof prism market like Zeiss, Leica, Swaro, etc. They certainly are capable of turning out exceptional products.
(That said, I had a pair of Fujinon 4000 roofers once and was completely unimpressed).
~ Jack
Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 16:28   #7
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Jack,

I think the Sightron 8X32 or the Fujinon KF 8X32 are for the money the best buy out there, at least in 8X32.
I tried the Fujinon large roofs in 12X60, 15X60 and I was impressed with the optics, but everything else eyecups, focus, and diopter was dismal.
They make some great IF porros though.

Andy W.

Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 17:14   #8
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Dave, I think the Yosmite 6X or 8X are a great value, probably the best value porros today.

Andy W.
There is an interesting history on the Yosemite vs Kowa YF in another thread.

I've been meaning to try these, but recently found a pair of Minolta Standard ultra wide 7x35 Binoculars (578' @1000) for $20, so that is my current play pair -- they should arrive soon, have not tried them yet.

Marc
Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 18:09   #9
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Marc,

Could be a winner, let us know how the Minolta works out.

Andy W.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: