• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How did the breeding season go? (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
Not the snappiest of titles but......

as some one new to birding and birdfeeding I was quite pleased about how the last year has gone. When I started we had 2 Sparrows turn up and at one point in July we hit 12 buzzing around. The bushes at the side of the house is alive with Spadgers.

So what birds have bred in your garden/yard.
I've had:
House Sparrow
Blackbird
Robin
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Greenfinch.

It gave a quite a buzz when the juvenile Tits arrived at the feeders.

Hi Pete. Robin, Blue tit, Greenfinch, Collard dove.Dunnock and Chaffinch all fed young in our garden this time. Unfortunately we arrived home just in time to see the Magpie taking the last young Blackbird from the nest.

John.

We had a blackbird nest in our garden twice last year right next to the front door and better still we had a window looking straight into the nest. It was like our very own spy camera!! This year we had blue tits in one of our boxes but only had one flegeling. I am told it was a bad year for blue tits though. We also put up 2 new boxes this this so I'm keepin me fingers crossed for at least something next year. Feeding in the garden we had young blue tits, coal tits, greenfinches, spadgers and blackbirds.

All species seem to have at least maintained their numbers. Weve had a few juveniles of Nuthatch,treecreeper and kestrel come from somewhere and are now seen regularly. So maybe its been a good season?

Hi John N
The possible solution to the magpie is to hang an old CD up in the garden so it can blow about in the wind. I didn't believe this when I first heard about it, but the pair of pied bandits which regularly visited have not been back since I did this. I have seen them fly over the house several times, but never once have I seen them land.
Thinking about it - there had to be something to use unwanted CDs for!

I don't think its even finished yet!!

Doing my last bit of GGBC yesterday, saw no less than FOUR broods of newly-fledged Woodpigeons still being fed by their parents!

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
I don't think its even finished yet!!

Doing my last bit of GGBC yesterday, saw no less than FOUR broods of newly-fledged Woodpigeons still being fed by their parents!

Michael

Lots of young Great Crested Grebe about on Saturday. Some seemed quite young - is this normal?

Thanks Mike. I have never heard of that but I will certainly put it to the test. When I came home today 3 magpies were after food scaring all the Blue tits away. I will let you know I get on.

Thanks John.

pduxon said:
Lots of young Great Crested Grebe about on Saturday. Some seemed quite young - is this normal?

Hi Pete,

Not too unusual, they also seem to breed just about year-round where conditions are suitable. I guess they can go on fishing almost as easily all year, so long as the lake isn't frozen.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back