• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A strange move by Canon (1 Viewer)

Right...

So we can't have an opinion on the cameras aimed at us now? If we didn't have so many people voicing opinion, there would be very little positive development in DSLR's.

Like PostcardCv says, camera companies know the score, but I think with more people getting into photography and onto forums such as POTN, they are under more pressure to deliver good cams.

As for the ###D series, they're great little cameras - the image quality in many ways is very similar to the ##D series, but have less advanced features and are not as well built.
I've got a 400D now, but I will not be buying into the 500D; I can't see it as anything more than a marginal upgrade, that, for a significant lump of cash, will make very little real world difference to my images.

Of cause we have an opinion, but I think we should put things into perspective, we have entered into a great new era in photography and have never had so much control over our pics, and such superb equipment to hand.

Let's enjoy it.

For those who mock video in a DSLR, I was on a beach in South Georgia recently surrounded by about 50,000 King Penguins. I was with someone with a Nikon D90 (yes, I know this is the Canon forum, but this is relevant) who was delighted that his camera had a HD video mode. For sure, the majority of his time was spent shooting stills, but the ability to grab a couple of minutes of video will undoubtedly add to the pleasure of his reviewing experience when he gets home. Now, if only they could come up with a system that captures smells as well as pictures...

Richard

I think at the end of the day Canon has to try and protect its market slice.
If its got video and the screen moves to 90 degrees its a plus not a negative.
At the moment I take my Sony Cyber-shot DSC N2 for any handheld video I want to take,
but I would be very pleased if I could take video through my camera.

BTW I came through the scoping way to DSLR and i always took a small video of the birds i just took a photo of.

I picked up a 5d2 for the HD Video capability and I love it.

For those who suggest that you could just buy a Camcorder keep in mind that you can use all your canon lens with the movie mode. I use my 500mm and a 1.4TC all the time and the cost to do this in a video recorder would be very high. Here is a recent short piece of Sandhill Cranes from this combination

Sandhill Crane Pair

You can also use Wide angle lens, Macro lens, Tilt/Shift etc.

I also am mystified by the argument that boils down to "It shouldn't have Video capability because I won't use it" If I decide I don't want to use AF, it would sound pretty stupid for me to suggest that the camera shouldn't have the function.

Great Job as usual Harold, if you don't want video don't use it, I don't like in camera this and that so I don't use them very simple really.

I have no objection to the addition of video or anything else, but if Canon (or anyone else) decided to keep a model for a few years and concentrate on improving its reliability, rather than always trying to update, then I know where I would be buying.

It was inevitable seeing as Nikon have released one a few months ago. I bought the Nikon D90 recently which has video capability. I've never used it but it is nice to know it is there if needed. I also have the Canon SX1 IS mentioned above. It's a great little camera. The idea of having a 10MP camera with a 500mm lens equivalent swinging around your neck was quite appealing especially for getting record shots for blocking rarity comittee rejections. Paul

fwiw I shoot a nikon d300 and have a small canon p&s for underwater shooting (because I can afford to drown one everyonce in a while that way). I thought video to be rather pointless but I've found I use it surprisingly often both above and below water to capture memories or behaviours that I just couldn't get any other way - mating/territorial displays, colour changing octopuses, mantas in water like soup that wouldn't allow flash use. The lack of a video option wouldn't (and didn't) prevent me buying a dslr but it would have swayed me from one manufacturer to another if only one offered it. I think canon will have felt they had to offer this.

I picked up a 5d2 for the HD Video capability and I love it.

For those who suggest that you could just buy a Camcorder keep in mind that you can use all your canon lens with the movie mode. I use my 500mm and a 1.4TC all the time and the cost to do this in a video recorder would be very high. Here is a recent short piece of Sandhill Cranes from this combination

Sandhill Crane Pair

You can also use Wide angle lens, Macro lens, Tilt/Shift etc.

I also am mystified by the argument that boils down to "It shouldn't have Video capability because I won't use it" If I decide I don't want to use AF, it would sound pretty stupid for me to suggest that the camera shouldn't have the function.
Here Here Harold! I think its a great idea having seen yours and Romy's video's taken with the 5dmk2's i think all dslr's should have video feature.
I have a Canon XL2 video camera and also my dslr set-up and can't lug them all when out in the field so one camera that does both would be ideal for me.
I am very tempted with the 5dmk2 but waiting to see what else they unveil in the near future.

Cheerio
Brian

Of cause we have an opinion, but I think we should put things into perspective, we have entered into a great new era in photography and have never had so much control over our pics, and such superb equipment to hand.

Let's enjoy it.

Yep, and let's make it more refined by providing feedback on it.

As has been said the grip won't be the same as the 350D one - the batteries are even smaller (the same as the 450D and 1000D ones).

This is the problem that has put me off upgrading my 350d,it isnt just money for the body,its the peripherals,battery grip (vital in my opinion),batteries,even different storage media,why camera companies cant make cameras more cross compatible I dont know,suppose its a way to increase revenue for the manufacturers,but,as in my case,may put some people off upgrading totally..its all about cost at the end of the day

This is the problem that has put me off upgrading my 350d,it isnt just money for the body,its the peripherals,battery grip (vital in my opinion),batteries,even different storage media,why camera companies cant make cameras more cross compatible I dont know,suppose its a way to increase revenue for the manufacturers,but,as in my case,may put some people off upgrading totally..its all about cost at the end of the day

I take that comment, I was a bit annoyed when I got the 50d and the batteries and the memory card were not the same
as the 450d I also own. You would think that over the Canon range of DSLR cameras these could be designed to fit all

I take that comment, I was a bit annoyed when I got the 50d and the batteries and the memory card were not the same
as the 450d I also own. You would think that over the Canon range of DSLR cameras these could be designed to fit all

Well, they're two different series, so that's only to be expected IMO. The 1D series have different batteries as well. You wouldn't be able to fit a 1D battery in a xxxD body - not even using hammer and chisel!

It doesn't make sense to expect that the prosumer and pro level cameras should follow the (presumably lower) standard of entry-level cameras. Furthermore, battery technology move forward just as sensor technology does. So it's only to be expected that the new 500D has different batteries than the 4 year old 350D. Imagine how people would react if it didn't :-O

Thomas

Third Party batteries are so cheap on ebay I don't think it's so important if you have to buy a new set for a new camera body.
Ditto memory cards. You can get 8GB for what, about 10-15 GBP these days?

Battery grips are a bit pricier I agree but not so much it'd stop me getting a new camera if I fancied one.

Good job it's only batteries or memory cards that you have to replace. I'm glad internet forums weren't around when Canon changed from the FD mount to the EF mount. Imagine the howls of rage and indignation that would have resulted in........

As an aside it's shocking how much Canon charge for batteries. It's about ¥4000 here in Japan for one (400D for me or 450D for the wife, different batteries but about the same price). For that same price from Hong Kong I bought two batteries for my 400D plus recharger plus adapter for using the recharger in the car. They all work fine.

Some of us were around when Canon changed from FD to EF, but the big difference then was that the EF were for autofocus cameras, not manual focus like the FD and people appreciated the need for the progress causing the change, as the new mount had to carry contacts and electrics to enable the AF. However, there were indeed a lot of gripes about why the EF couldnt be made to take an FD mount. It would certainly have saved me a lot of money, i still have a box of FD mount lenses and A1 bodies that havent been touched for years.

I do take the point about batteries though, i feel they have missed a trick by not maintaining battery type by series, e.g. all the same in xxxD, and different but equal in xxD. But having said that, rechargeable batteries suffer from memory depreciation, and it may be just as well for manufacturers to have a new type, to prevent old batteries causing internal problems. It could be worse, it could be Nikon, with all the problems they have had with their batteries causing allsorts of faults within their cameras.

I do take the point about batteries though, i feel they have missed a trick by not maintaining battery type by series, e.g. all the same in xxxD, and different but equal in xxD.
I don't know about the 10D, but the 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D all share the same battery type (even their PSDs use the same ones). It makes financial sense for Canon to keep the same batery as a range evolves, otherwise they have to tool up a new production line and keep stocks of multiple types. If they introduce a new type you can bet there was a darn good reason for doing so.

I'd be interested in the video aspect on a DSLR, for reasons others have given such as recording animal behavious. However the 5DmkII give 1080 opposed to the 500D's 780 definition - guess I will hang on for a couple more years yet, or buy a camcorder ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back